HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 07, 2012, 01:23 PM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Dec 2009
1,130 Posts
Discussion
R/C MOTORCYCLES!! Why R people Scared?

Just Curious on everyones input.

We have had alot of people ask questions, have interest, and want to get into bikes. Even the ones that do start the venture end up sometimes getting out because of whatever reasons.'

So, im here to ask you guys around the world... Why do you think people dont get more involved in r/c Motorcycles?

Thoughts?
Ideas?
Reasons?
How to sale it more to the beginner?

Thanks Guys!!
621clay is offline Find More Posts by 621clay
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 07, 2012, 01:44 PM
Joined Jan 2005
2,303 Posts
Very steep learning curve. On top of that some of the ones that do get into it. Expects to be fast right from the start. Do not want to put in the time and effort to get their bike to perform better.

I think the biggest reasons for us in the US. Is the sport of motorcycles is not popular enough.

Turn left here.......turn left here....... Turn left here...... Oh wait turn left here. You have done one full lap.lol
swheels is offline Find More Posts by swheels
Old Jul 07, 2012, 01:49 PM
Sweden
Joined Aug 2010
92 Posts
Maby because the bike is litle bit harder to learn to drive , you have to drive a lot before you are fast on track .
And i have meet some people asking me wy the bike is so slow in cornerspeed if you compare the 1/10 electric
I answer that gay ... " wy do F1 cars drive faster in corners then moto GP bikes??!"

people think its werry cool and nice to wach but not more :/
I hope we get some more mc drivers in Sweden !
I live so close Denmark so we have some werry nice bikemeeting at Neastved rc track
Appel82 is offline Find More Posts by Appel82
Old Jul 07, 2012, 02:14 PM
Joined Dec 2009
1,130 Posts
Thanks Guys Keep them Coming!!
Old Jul 07, 2012, 02:39 PM
DLAWW
Socal
Joined Dec 2005
798 Posts
My opinion is very bias, I can't stand the onroad rc car group. Here in the US they dominate the tracks, all rc here is car related. We get no respect here in the rc venues, very little track time. It seems as though when we come to race's the car guys look at us as in the way. They look at us as taking valuble track time that they could be using. I've over heard car guys saying oh no the bikes are on they shouldn't be here. I've heard remarks for super bikes called "stupid bikes", we've even been asked to leave some tracks becouse the car guys complained. I see it this way anyone can start out with an rc car and drive it easily. Up and down the street any parking lot and bash around. Bikes your not just going to pick up an rc bike and start driving it right from the start. Most guys that drive rc cars are frustrated right from the start with bikes. I bought my first electric bike from a car guy cheap, he just tried to drive it twice and said forget it. I started rc with bikes thats all I know and care to Know. I started out in parking lots driving around and thinking this was the best. After a year of that I found the rc bike group I run with now. They only ran on tracks, my first exprience's on a track I have to admit were very frustrating. I kept at it and as I became better the track is the only place I ever want to run my bike. Actual rc bike racing, the feeling you cannot beat, its the best.
DLAWW is offline Find More Posts by DLAWW
Last edited by DLAWW; Jul 07, 2012 at 02:51 PM.
Old Jul 07, 2012, 02:47 PM
Wetherby, UK
Joined Dec 2003
1,138 Posts
I think it is only 1/1 bikers that appreciate the realism. Existing rc car drivers with little interest in real bikes see a lot of effort in the learning curve with the eventual outcome not as fast as their rc car. Patience and perseverance seem to be in short supply with this group of rc, unless they are already top drivers and up for a new challenge. The best chance of getting any newcomers is if they are already into rc of some description and into full size bikes / motogp etc. That's my opinion as it decribes me perfectly!
nuovaic is online now Find More Posts by nuovaic
Old Jul 07, 2012, 02:52 PM
Joined Dec 2009
1,130 Posts
[QUOTE=nuovaic;22100067]I think it is only 1/1 bikers that appreciate the realism. Existing rc car drivers with little interest in real bikes see a lot of effort in the learning curve with the eventual outcome not as fast as their rc car. Patience and perseverance seem to be in short supply with this group of rc, unless they are already top drivers and up for a new challenge. The best chance of getting any newcomers is if they are already into rc of some description and into full size bikes / motogp etc. That's my opinion as it decribes me perfectly![/QUOTEI

I agree with this very much. The Cars guys here i think have come to know us, and we as a group really dont give in to the cars guys if they try to push us out. But we do let them have a "tank" or "pack" worth of time to them selves and usually hopr for the same. It usually works out like that pretty well.
Old Jul 07, 2012, 02:55 PM
DLAWW
Socal
Joined Dec 2005
798 Posts
I went to the track with my 1:1 bike all the time, followed Motogp and an avid fan of Valentino Rossi. Since I started rc bikes I've not been to the track lately, I love bikes all kinds. If it has a motor and two wheels I'm into it!, hell three wheels.
DLAWW is offline Find More Posts by DLAWW
Old Jul 07, 2012, 04:01 PM
Joined Jan 2005
2,303 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuovaic View Post
I think it is only 1/1 bikers that appreciate the realism. Existing rc car drivers with little interest in real bikes see a lot of effort in the learning curve with the eventual outcome not as fast as their rc car. Patience and perseverance seem to be in short supply with this group of rc, unless they are already top drivers and up for a new challenge. The best chance of getting any newcomers is if they are already into rc of some description and into full size bikes / motogp etc. That's my opinion as it decribes me perfectly!
I've met 1 full scale bike racer even was a champion in his class Matt Blashfield. Steve and i thought he would take to the bikes full steam. Nope! Lol came to race with us a couple of times. That was it he wouldn't even do the course anymore. Just kept cross tracking back fourth till his bike T-boned. Then went and grab his remote to his offroad trucks. After awhile we never seen or heard from him ever again.
It sucks becuase i don't understand how people just give up so easily. The only thing i tried for a couple days and gave up on is flying rc plains. That was becuase my vision is to bad and i did not want keep wearing glass.lol
Been a car guy for a very long time i like them still but i cannot go back. Unless i designed and built my very own. And even then i can't see myself going back to the cars.
I one of the reasons i moved down to Nc was because the rc bike scene and warm weather. Now theres NO RC BIKE SCENE just weather.lol I can't wait to move back up north again!
swheels is offline Find More Posts by swheels
Old Jul 07, 2012, 05:40 PM
Wetherby, UK
Joined Dec 2003
1,138 Posts
Yeah sometimes you can just never tell. Maybe Matt had other reasons for not getting excited about it.
On the other hand, we've had a few 1/1 racers race rc bikes in our UK championship, Mark Heckles for one, (team mate to Colin Edwards in WSB one time), he had a certain dedication to winning that was inspiring. He'd set a goal and not rest till it was done.

Overall, The best we can do is get the message out there. Push pictures, videos, tell everyone you meet (up to a point!) and see what turns up.

I am concerned about the discrimination you guys experience from the car side, but until ROAR accepts bikes as a class and championships are organised and successfully run with good numbers, as they are here in the UK and most of Europe, bikes will surely stay second class.
nuovaic is online now Find More Posts by nuovaic
Old Jul 07, 2012, 05:57 PM
MM450 Perfectionist
The Woodlands, TX
Joined Dec 2009
242 Posts
As a relatively new guy here, I about to either buy a brand new loaded Sf509 race Nuova Faor, or a nice hybrid Nuova Faor/TT hybrid a guy is selling on here... I had a HOR when they first came out and even go back to an original Royal GP back in the day and loved it... l
am reading these stories about guys not liking the bikers "in their way" and not quite understanding the non acceptance from them... I wish we could all just get along... I raced cars for many years back in the day, and I embraced all that were interested or had ANY RC vehicle and wanted to run... Times have changed I must say... Clay, I got your back man for real... I may be new to the newer bikes, but not new to RC or how to help grow this fantastic hobby...
rpedro is offline Find More Posts by rpedro
Old Jul 07, 2012, 06:06 PM
Barboursville, VA
Joined Dec 2008
95 Posts
I've been racing motorcycles since I was 9 and started in rc trucks when I was 16 (now 25). I always wanted an RC motorcycle but none of them really seemed like they were worth getting until the Venom GPV-1 came out so I bought that. I raced Mini-Z, 1/8 scale buggy, 1/10 scale on-road, and 1/18 scale on-road. When the racing was competitive it was fun but otherwise I realized the cars were simply way to easy to drive. The simplicity of getting around a track at a fast pace was just easy and it became boring, I did however LOVE setting up a chassis to perfection and got pretty damn good at it. The only car racing that I still do is 1/18 scale on-road with the Xray M18 because we have an excellent group of racers and fantastic track with an exciting race format.

The RC bike was fun simply to drive it around. After I got the hang of driving one then open parking lots got a bit boring too but once you add a track layout it never seems to get old! Finding the perfect line, backing into corners, power sliding out of corners, getting the perfect corner entrance / exit, watching the bike transition from one turn to the next and all of the other dynamics of a motorcycle made it entertaining! Especially with the dirtbikes now, you don't need a track to make it fun for me. Just driving it off-road and finding jumps is a total blast.

Chassis setup is much easier to work with and it doesn't have some of the annoying nuances that cars do. With cars you need all 4 corners working together otherwise it could be tweaked a bit (so it wont turn the same one way as it does the other). It can even change as the parts get dirty and things stick or after a wreck. With a motorcycle there is no "tweak" and the way motorcycles work the setup is more straight forward. For example: a car has diffs, camber, toe, caster, ride height, roll center, anti-squat, and oil/springs/preload on all 4 corners which (if you want a good setup) ALL needs to work together to create a car with good balance between front and rear with predictable handling that's also aggressive at the same time. With a motorcycle there isn't so much crap that you need to change just to find a good setup! So you spend less time changing things and more time driving it.

From what I've seen after working in a hobby shop most people who get into rc have a bit of a hard time just driving a car. A motorcycle can be just as easy to drive but it takes a lot more time and practice to get the hang of it. Why would they want to waste time practicing when they can spend time driving something that's easier to learn?
Fajita Dave is offline Find More Posts by Fajita Dave
Old Jul 07, 2012, 06:09 PM
Occasional useful idiot...
Joined Nov 2009
1,402 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLAWW View Post
My opinion is very bias, I can't stand the onroad rc car group. Here in the US they dominate the tracks, all rc here is car related. We get no respect here in the rc venues, very little track time. It seems as though when we come to race's the car guys look at us as in the way. They look at us as taking valuable track time that they could be using. I've over heard car guys saying oh no the bikes are on they shouldn't be here. I've heard remarks for super bikes called "stupid bikes", we've even been asked to leave some tracks because the car guys complained. I see it this way anyone can start out with an rc car and drive it easily. Up and down the street any parking lot and bash around. Bikes your not just going to pick up an rc bike and start driving it right from the start. Most guys that drive rc cars are frustrated right from the start with bikes. I bought my first electric bike from a car guy cheap, he just tried to drive it twice and said forget it. I started rc with bikes that's all I know and care to Know. I started out in parking lots driving around and thinking this was the best. After a year of that I found the rc bike group I run with now. They only ran on tracks, my first experience's on a track I have to admit were very frustrating. I kept at it and as I became better the track is the only place I ever want to run my bike. Actual rc bike racing, the feeling you cannot beat, its the best.
I feel your pain with the whole of that. I had the same attitude with Louth RC car club, only they came out with ''well we could let you run in our lunch break''...

I've only been into bikes too. Thankfully, I have found a track near me that accepts my running on my own and Southend RCMCC could not have been more accommodating, even offering me a heat to myself.

Shite happens, two fingers up to the ignorant and carry on regardless, if they can't cope with learning a new skill then that's their loss. At least you can have the satisfaction of having more adaptable thumbs than them, after all, you can ride a bike and drive a car. They can drive a car.
Jonathan Bradbury is offline Find More Posts by Jonathan Bradbury
Old Jul 07, 2012, 08:37 PM
Joined Dec 2009
1,130 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fajita Dave View Post
I've been racing motorcycles since I was 9 and started in rc trucks when I was 16 (now 25). I always wanted an RC motorcycle but none of them really seemed like they were worth getting until the Venom GPV-1 came out so I bought that. I raced Mini-Z, 1/8 scale buggy, 1/10 scale on-road, and 1/18 scale on-road. When the racing was competitive it was fun but otherwise I realized the cars were simply way to easy to drive. The simplicity of getting around a track at a fast pace was just easy and it became boring, I did however LOVE setting up a chassis to perfection and got pretty damn good at it. The only car racing that I still do is 1/18 scale on-road with the Xray M18 because we have an excellent group of racers and fantastic track with an exciting race format.

The RC bike was fun simply to drive it around. After I got the hang of driving one then open parking lots got a bit boring too but once you add a track layout it never seems to get old! Finding the perfect line, backing into corners, power sliding out of corners, getting the perfect corner entrance / exit, watching the bike transition from one turn to the next and all of the other dynamics of a motorcycle made it entertaining! Especially with the dirtbikes now, you don't need a track to make it fun for me. Just driving it off-road and finding jumps is a total blast.

Chassis setup is much easier to work with and it doesn't have some of the annoying nuances that cars do. With cars you need all 4 corners working together otherwise it could be tweaked a bit (so it wont turn the same one way as it does the other). It can even change as the parts get dirty and things stick or after a wreck. With a motorcycle there is no "tweak" and the way motorcycles work the setup is more straight forward. For example: a car has diffs, camber, toe, caster, ride height, roll center, anti-squat, and oil/springs/preload on all 4 corners which (if you want a good setup) ALL needs to work together to create a car with good balance between front and rear with predictable handling that's also aggressive at the same time. With a motorcycle there isn't so much crap that you need to change just to find a good setup! So you spend less time changing things and more time driving it.

From what I've seen after working in a hobby shop most people who get into rc have a bit of a hard time just driving a car. A motorcycle can be just as easy to drive but it takes a lot more time and practice to get the hang of it. Why would they want to waste time practicing when they can spend time driving something that's easier to learn?
you just told my story bro.... we must be brothers!
Old Jul 08, 2012, 01:29 AM
Joined Jun 2006
291 Posts
I guess I'll chime in since Clay posed the question.

I started going to the track ~2 years ago when I met Clay on this newsgroup. I had 0 experience in rc racing. I haven't ridden a motorcycle in over 20 years (managed to bust up the last one I was on - but all I got was a scratch). When we first started rc motorcycles - it took a while before either one of us could go around the track without help. It was an incredible sense of accomplishment once we got there. GPV's were very temperamental despite being rtr.

Reason #1 - bikes can be hard to setup if you don't know what you are doing. Some things like wheel weight, COG, steering springs - can be counter intuitive. I love my GPV. It can be setup to run beautifully, but I never felt it to be a good rtr out of the box. This is kind of sad, because I believe the GPV had an excellent price-point (compared to 1:5th) and was a complete package.SB-5 rtr seems kind of nice. I still cannot understand why manufactures do not include better tires with rtr's (I know it has to do with cost, but...) since on a motorcycle they are essential for success (unlike onroad 4wheel rtr's- they just call the included hard tires drift tires).

Reason #2: I think more people don't jump on is popularity momentum. Once we were able to get ourselves regularly on the track - a few more people joined us. Everything was going well until we started official racing. I would say only about half of our group was really into racing. This alone was not bad. Races were good because more people became aware that these bikes could be competitive. Unfortunately over-competitive human spirit caused too much friction and alienated part of our group. Now unhappiness over racing has caused less and less people show up even if it is just for fun. Don't get me wrong - a few of the guys are still dedicated and we still get together, just not as frequently. This has killed some of the potential of a local popularity boom for motorcycles. The less they are out there - the less people notice them. The less the guys that run them are out there - the less opportunity there is to run them due to the track being used for other rc vehicles.

Locally we have been lucky enough that the track was fairly empty on Sundays. That has changed a bit recently but it still isn't overly bike unfriendly. Usually guys that are unhappy about the bike being on the track - also believe that there shouldn't be any electrics on the track and nitro is king.

Reason #3: They require a flat surface (assuming no gyro). This may sound crazy - but when I first started messing around with motorcycles it was a pain trying to find a parking lot just to bash in. Since I started with a GPV - it was very sensitive to stuff on the ground. Most parking lots in my neighborhood are fenced off after hours. My front street is very cracked, oily and high traffic. Most open parking lots have security guards to run you off. Compare this with 4 wheels - where the surface doesn't matter as much.

With all this said - It seems people that get into them really stick to bikes. I know I have - and I will keep going to the track regardless of a large or small turnout. And if any of you reading this ever find yourself in Houston and need help setting up a bike or just want someone to run with, just send either myself or Clay a message.

-rskip

Oh last reason - they are hard to drive..... :P
rskip is offline Find More Posts by rskip