HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 26, 2012, 03:30 AM
AvB
Wind, hill, ... I'm keen ...
Australia, QLD, Woody Point
Joined Nov 2006
4,642 Posts
It was GREAT at Shorncliffe this arvo. I was surprised ... expected it to be too north. But the lift was excellent. Brett did heaps of pop-and-drop landing practices with the Beevo. I flew the light Scratcho, the very light PU foam filled Scratcho and the Willow.
AvB is online now Find More Posts by AvB
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 26, 2012, 05:47 AM
Self confessed Aeroholic
Australia, QLD, Elimbah
Joined Jan 2005
1,512 Posts
Sounds awsum Andrew. It saddens me to think I have a Beevo unfinished on a shelf that I bought just for Shorncliffe. By the time I get it done, the season will be over
D.
Larrikin is offline Find More Posts by Larrikin
Old Oct 27, 2012, 07:38 PM
Mr Windburner
Australia, QLD, Mudgeeraba
Joined Apr 2009
737 Posts
going up to Beechmont this afternoon.
Kevin Bennett is online now Find More Posts by Kevin Bennett
Old Oct 27, 2012, 10:49 PM
AvB
Joined Nov 2006
4,642 Posts
I'd love to be there this arvo Kev - great conditions. I'm pretty much tied down. Just had a short fly at Woody Point. Strong wind, plenty of lift, but a bit rough - would have been nicer with more east in it. At least the off-angle makes the landing easier. The light Scratcho is amazing, how well it penetrates. It was tearing around no worries in that air.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 02:20 AM
Mr Windburner
Australia, QLD, Mudgeeraba
Joined Apr 2009
737 Posts
Got up to Beechmont about 2pm was very south and not that strong.
You did not miss much Andrew.
Kevin Bennett is online now Find More Posts by Kevin Bennett
Old Nov 02, 2012, 01:15 AM
AvB
Joined Nov 2006
4,642 Posts
Gee it's been great wind here today! I haven't been out flying but it must have been really great at Beechmont.
Old Nov 03, 2012, 03:43 AM
AvB
Joined Nov 2006
4,642 Posts
Great little fly at Woody Point this arvo. Arranged to meet Gerard there and when I turned up there were 4 guys from the southside who I haven't seen for ages. (Richard, Tony etc). They had a great time combatting. I flew the Scratcho and the Willow. Gerard flew the Miraj. Breeze was from the ESE so it was great lift. Gerard mentioned that he was a bit cautious about looping the Miraj in the limited space, but by the end we were having a looping competition. I maxed at 8 loops and I think he got 6! But I had to get low to get that 8th one. It was fun.
Old Nov 07, 2012, 08:32 PM
AvB
Joined Nov 2006
4,642 Posts
This wind is perfect ... I'm heading over to Shorncliffe.
Old Nov 08, 2012, 03:10 AM
Self confessed Aeroholic
Australia, QLD, Elimbah
Joined Jan 2005
1,512 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvB View Post
This wind is perfect ... I'm heading over to Shorncliffe.
How'd you go? I was thinking you might be there.
D.
Larrikin is offline Find More Posts by Larrikin
Old Nov 10, 2012, 01:58 AM
AvB
Joined Nov 2006
4,642 Posts
Solid SSE forecast for tomorrow. I'd like to get up to Bald Knob for a fly but it depends on organizing someone to cover for me at home.
Old Nov 23, 2012, 04:00 PM
Find me a decent hill...
Australia, QLD, South Brisbane
Joined Jan 2010
132 Posts
Ene ?

Howdy all

Any ideas where to fly with an ENE wind within an hour or so of Brissy?

Cheers

Stu
Xgnr is offline Find More Posts by Xgnr
Old Nov 23, 2012, 10:44 PM
AvB
Joined Nov 2006
4,642 Posts
Haven’t been doing much on the glider front just lately but had a bit of a resurgence in the last 2 days. At Shorncliffe at lunchtime yesterday Rhys had been having a good fly with Matt T, and was just about to leave for work when I turned up. So he hung back and had a fly of the cut-down Scratcho. He didn’t say much but I think he liked it. I stayed on with Matt for an hour or so, and Matt also had a good long fly of it too, and I think it was his first mouldie experience. He was rather impressed and flew it nicely. I got my first hand catch standing on the lip.

This morning while daughter Julia was having her pottery lesson at Sandgate I took my homebuilt DLG to the Bracken Ridge park and flew it for the first time. Perfect from the hand toss and then excellent hand launching. It has a Zone v2 vacbagged wing, with light glass tails I copied from Rhys’s Topsky, but I made them a little stronger. The pod and boom are bought from DLGJunkyard. It’s a little on the heavy side (380gm) but the aim is for tossing in the park and doing aerobatics, and it seems a success so far. Really snappy roll, good loops, much more aerobatic than the Minima. Excellent. With some tweaking of settings and CG it can only get better.

Then after picking up Julia there was a nice light NE so I ducked up to Shorncliffe to show Julia what the cutdown Scratcho could do – it was a perfect little session, and I got another handcatch!

ENE is great for Shorncliffe, Stu. But it's a pokey gnarly site to land in. There are a few spots up around Maleny that work too.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 12:07 AM
Find me a decent hill...
Australia, QLD, South Brisbane
Joined Jan 2010
132 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvB View Post
ENE is great for Shorncliffe, Stu. But it's a pokey gnarly site to land in. There are a few spots up around Maleny that work too.
Thanks Andrew, helpful as ever :-)

I have been overseas for a while and now finally have some time available to do some flying.

Seems that there is never a decent SE for Laidley so I need to expand my options as I am just not getting any flying time in.

Shorncliffe looks so damn tight I wonder how i could ever land the Prodij... maybe just a foamy only for my poor skills. Might give it a crack on Sunday.

From the various forums I am building a list of sites for a Xmas road trip (between Brissy and Sydney) as my partner is working and I have a mandatory break for 2 weeks. Will load up the trusty Ford with beer and gliders and see what I can find.

Cheers
Stu
Xgnr is offline Find More Posts by Xgnr
Old Nov 24, 2012, 04:56 AM
AvB
Joined Nov 2006
4,642 Posts
Nah not the Prodij at Shorncliffe. I'm not around tomorrow but let me know if you're going some other time.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 06:31 AM
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Feb 2002
1,117 Posts
Not strictly DS, but was wondering if anyone knows of (or has done some exploring for) slope sites WEST of Brisbane ? I've flown up around Montville etc but just wanting to explore new interesting places...

I was a member of the Laidley (Summerholme) club a few years ago, and as a kid tagged along with some friends of my father flying on the Marburg and Minden ranges but they were on private property. Google Earth shows up some interesting ridges but they invariably have no direct road access, are private property, or are covered in trees (or all three !).

One spot I've seen is Greenhills Rd, which looks nice but mostly seems to face south-sou'west. Screenshot from google streetview below.

Anyone know of other spots (that they're willing to share) ?
Geoff_S is online now Find More Posts by Geoff_S