HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 22, 2012, 06:15 AM
Find me a decent hill...
Australia, QLD, South Brisbane
Joined Jan 2010
132 Posts
i would be happy with some frontside any damn thing !

Here's hoping SE for the weekend
Xgnr is offline Find More Posts by Xgnr
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 22, 2012, 07:14 AM
DS= -$ & :-)
Byron Bay, Australia
Joined Feb 2006
3,010 Posts
Have to agree Andrew. My house felt like it was going to lift off tonight. Gusts to 48knots so far.

I suppose Withcott might be crackin'.
Ezza is online now Find More Posts by Ezza
Old Oct 22, 2012, 07:21 AM
AvB
Wind, hill, ... I'm keen ...
Australia, QLD, Woody Point
Joined Nov 2006
4,433 Posts
Got your text Ezza - sorry you're still so flat out with the harvest! Janet's going away for 3 weeks on Sunday so I'll be holding the fort, and probably unlikely I'll get out flying till she gets back.

Not sure the wind's getting far inland. Blowing its ring off here right now, but it's only 7 knots in Toowoomba. My daughter rang from Blackbutt just before, and there was no wind up there.
AvB is offline Find More Posts by AvB
Old Oct 22, 2012, 05:30 PM
Brettski
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Apr 2007
37 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvB View Post
Got your text Ezza - sorry you're still so flat out with the harvest! Janet's going away for 3 weeks on Sunday so I'll be holding the fort, and probably unlikely I'll get out flying till she gets back.

Not sure the wind's getting far inland. Blowing its ring off here right now, but it's only 7 knots in Toowoomba. My daughter rang from Blackbutt just before, and there was no wind up there.
Andrew

Ahh...I have this Friday free and was keen to fly but it doesn't sound like your available? The forecast is for a 7-15kt northerly.

Brett
SoarPilot is offline Find More Posts by SoarPilot
Last edited by SoarPilot; Oct 23, 2012 at 12:58 AM.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 05:54 PM
Byron Bay, Australia
Joined Feb 2006
3,010 Posts
Withcott would be pumping 16-27knots SE at Gatton since 8am.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 06:29 PM
AvB
Joined Nov 2006
4,433 Posts
I'd love to fly Withcott but it's so far - I'd be keen if some other guys were going too. But failing that I'm concocting a plan to perhaps escape to T-Bones at Maleny this arvo. There should be enough east in it to make it powerful frontside and scary DS.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 07:51 PM
Byron Bay, Australia
Joined Feb 2006
3,010 Posts
Best luck Andrew at Tbones. I think you described that place pretty well.

It really is frustrating with these big southerlies so many 'pretty good' spots. We just have to find something better.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 08:01 PM
AvB
Joined Nov 2006
4,433 Posts
Direction's looking pretty good for T-Bones. About to head up soon. Looks like I'm solo so no speeds today!
Old Oct 22, 2012, 10:30 PM
AvB
Joined Nov 2006
4,433 Posts
I carried 2 big planes up the shockwave and the willow which was pretty difficult in the wind. There are thousands of us up here - well all the other guys are actually blowflies who seem to be having a good time. Plenty of wind but lift is rough and the DS isn't working ... The wind is too south here at the moment. I did try different parts of the ridge and it's working at times but It gave the Willow's wings a pretty good shakeup. Landing is really Dicey. The wind is blowing across the backside up the backside and down the backside in different places. So I have come down to sit under the tree on the backside which is getting whipped around noisily by the wind, and have something to eat with the flies. I'll hang around in the hope that as per the forecast it swings a bit more east and smooths out later in the afternoon.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 11:20 PM
AvB
Joined Nov 2006
4,433 Posts
I decided to pack up and shift locations. Jeeez it looks pretty good here at the Camel hump. LAUNCHING!!!
Old Oct 23, 2012, 12:02 AM
AvB
Joined Nov 2006
4,433 Posts
I think I had the best conditions ever here at the hump for about five minutes then it went bad. Then came good and I flew shock-wave and it was okay for a while maybe 160-170 but it's gone really lumpy now and the wind is blowing a gale down the road. So I think it's back to T-Bones.

P.S. - went back there and it was still too south so I headed home.
Last edited by AvB; Oct 23, 2012 at 02:01 AM.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 02:44 AM
Byron Bay, Australia
Joined Feb 2006
3,010 Posts
Good effort Andrew. Atleast you got some ds in. I remember a few days up there doing the same thing. Running from Tbones to camel hump, then over to the east ridge and back again. Kinda frustrating when the wind is shifting like that. The wind was shifting down here today too. Seemed when ever rain was near it was SSW and inbetween was SSE. This has been a really strong southerly event.

Hopefully I can break free next time a huge southerly comes through and come out with you. It would be cool to try for 200+ at Withcott and maybe see if we can get into Egypt.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 03:24 AM
AvB
Joined Nov 2006
4,433 Posts
Keen!
Old Oct 23, 2012, 05:16 AM
Find me a decent hill...
Australia, QLD, South Brisbane
Joined Jan 2010
132 Posts
My prayers appear to have answered for Sunday and a SE breeze.

Fingers crossed ...
Xgnr is offline Find More Posts by Xgnr
Old Oct 25, 2012, 11:16 PM
AvB
Joined Nov 2006
4,433 Posts
Heaps of wind here Shorncliffe. Brett and I are gonna have a fly its his first ever time flying here. It's a little bit north but there's plenty of wind.