SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 26, 2012, 06:38 PM
It flies!
Sunshine Coast, Australia
Joined Jun 2007
1,543 Posts
Cool vid Shane. Lift looked good, DG seems to be going pretty quick?

Beechmont was great. A little patchy early in the day but the lift got better as the day wore on. I got plenty of stick time flying the Erwin and Needle on the front. Really enjoyed flying the Needle, in the right air it is an absolute rocket - big dives, long vertical climbs. Typical good Beechmont air, makes a fast glider look like it's turbine powered.

Got to see Dave's Wabbit fly. It's very impressive - fast stable and very forgiving stall.

Sean.
Sean Moloney is offline Find More Posts by Sean Moloney
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 28, 2012, 10:51 AM
less sleep more planes
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Sep 2006
432 Posts
I was thinking about coming down but needed the extra space of the knob for the DG.Sounds like you had a great day Sean.
First flight impressions of the DG ,rudder = very good ,ailerons = terrible , elevator =good ,CG back more and the cruise speed was a nice surprise.
Weight =3.5 Kg
Got it off RC trader from a guy around the corner
Also got a Orion from him still in box for a great price.
PlayinInTheParK is online now Find More Posts by PlayinInTheParK
Old Oct 12, 2012, 02:56 AM
Self confessed Aeroholic
Australia, QLD, Elimbah
Joined Jan 2005
1,519 Posts
Doesn't matter.
Larrikin is offline Find More Posts by Larrikin
Last edited by Larrikin; Oct 12, 2012 at 02:58 AM. Reason: I should have been watching
Old Oct 16, 2012, 11:39 PM
AvB
Wind, hill, ... I'm keen ...
Australia, QLD, Woody Point
Joined Nov 2006
4,687 Posts
Looks very good for Shorncliffe right now. Think I'll take a break from the desk and head over for an hour or so.
AvB is online now Find More Posts by AvB
Old Oct 17, 2012, 02:37 AM
AvB
Joined Nov 2006
4,687 Posts
I expected to have a short, unremarkable fly at Shorncliffe but I came home excited and grinning after meeting a couple of guys of significance.

I flew the light Scratcho for quite a while, then the Willow. Several cars stopped to look, and the flying was great with heaps of lift, but increasingly swinging off-angle to the north. I tried the middle slope and it didn’t seem better than the usual spot. Eventually I was shuffling across to the landing spot down the right hand end, and noticed a bloke watching from the fence, and we got chatting. Turns out his name is Jeff and he lives in the house most directly opposite the main flying spot. We got talking and he was rapt in the plane, very keen to hear more … anyway basically he really likes the planes sloping over the road from his place. He has helped the flyers out at times, and gave me a coreflute fin he’d found in his yard, in case I knew the owner (thick coreflute, covered with purple tape, Velcro strip, looks like a Beevo winglet to me?). Anyway by the time I left I got the impression he’d like to find out more, and maybe learn to fly … he asked me to drop round for a coffee sometime.

At the same time a younger couple turned up and the guy with a French accent joined in the chat, very keen to find out about the site and the flying, because he’s new to Australia and flies RC too. He’s Jerome, from Chamonix in the Alps in France, and he has a couple of foamies and a Blade 1.5m, which is yet unbuilt. We chatted long and hard about places and planes. He’s Max6462 on RC Groups and knows and flies with the famous Pierre Rondel in the mountains near his place. He showed me some pics from home and I saw shots of real gliders, so I enquired and ascertained that he flew full size gliders before getting into RC. Then we got chatting together with his Slovakian partner Yvana (who’d been very patiently sitting reading and watching) and it turns out they’re also commercial pilots, and are both currently finalizing their exams and licensing to start work with SkyWest. So they’re going to be here for a while. Jerome is a really top bloke … I hope he gets into the local scene, so make him welcome if you hear his French accent on the slope!

By the way I phoned up the Bandicoot owner yesterday, just to say Hi and sound him out as to what sort of time frame is likely before we might regain access. He was very friendly but advised that unless something drastic happens, it will be 1 or 2 years till he’ll be back living full time at home, at which time he’ll allow (limited) access.
Last edited by AvB; Oct 17, 2012 at 05:49 PM.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 04:07 AM
Self confessed Aeroholic
Australia, QLD, Elimbah
Joined Jan 2005
1,519 Posts
Wow, great news Andrew ... on all fronts. Always good to have more fliers to chat to. Having an owner across the road as an ally can't be bad.
And as for Bandicoot, I can't wait. Love the place.
D.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 07:33 AM
Isle of Man
Joined Jul 2009
1 Posts
Meeting in Shorncliff today !

Hi everyone !

First of all, it was a pleasure to meet up with Andrew to meet up with Andrew this afternoon !
I m So happy to hopefully start to fly here and meet you guys !
Like Andrew said, I m new to Brisbane area, from France.
I brought in my cargo a few gliders, small size: A Discus CS 2m62 (cheap kit 2m62) a Allula foamie, and a carbon Mini Blade to be finished.
Also have a couple of electric basic foamy planes:
an SE5, a Beast from eflite, and a multiplex acromaster.
That's pretty much what I could bring over without too much problems.

I live in Northgate, and havent had much time to unpack everything or find a place to fly around, either slope or park flying. And I am not a champ !!!

I hope to meet up soon with everyone, and fly !

I m posting a few pix of flying at home in France in gliders, looking forward to fly here too.
I m excited by anything that can fly ( except mosquitoes...) and as Andrew said I m currently employed by Skywest flying based in Brisbane.

See you all soon and Thank you SO MUCH Andrew !!!
max6462 is offline Find More Posts by max6462
Old Oct 20, 2012, 02:04 AM
Find me a decent hill...
Australia, QLD, South Brisbane
Joined Jan 2010
132 Posts
sunday 21st Oct

Hi all

Relatively new to qld and have got membership with a club but struggling to get any flying in due to lack of se winds when I am not working

Finally have a weekend off work and of course the wind is coming from the wrong direction.

Appreciate any ideas suggestions for some sloping / slermalling for Sunday? Getting withdrawal symptoms....

Cheers
Stu
Xgnr is offline Find More Posts by Xgnr
Old Oct 20, 2012, 02:25 AM
Self confessed Aeroholic
Australia, QLD, Elimbah
Joined Jan 2005
1,519 Posts
Sorry Stu,
I got nothin' for Northerlies. Although, Seabreeze is showing not much wind for Sunday.
D.

http://www.seabreeze.com.au/graphs/qld.asp
Old Oct 20, 2012, 02:29 AM
Find me a decent hill...
Joined Jan 2010
132 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larrikin View Post
Sorry Stu,
I got nothin' for Northerlies. Although, Seabreeze is showing not much wind for Sunday.
D.

http://www.seabreeze.com.au/graphs/qld.asp
Hey thanks for that feedback. Might be a day by the pool with a beer instead...
Old Oct 20, 2012, 09:11 AM
AvB
Joined Nov 2006
4,687 Posts
Brandenburg Rd at Maleny is always OK for northerlies. Not a perfect site, but good for a fix.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 11:13 PM
Find me a decent hill...
Joined Jan 2010
132 Posts
Thanks Andrew

Looks ok on Google earth, noted for a future trip.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 11:30 PM
AvB
Joined Nov 2006
4,687 Posts
Keeping an eye on the wind ... it might be OK for a fly at Shorncliffe this arvo, and perhaps maiden the new very light Scratcho.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 05:06 AM
AvB
Joined Nov 2006
4,687 Posts
Nice flying this arvo. Only me, and the maiden went very well (3 long flights). http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1660287&page=4

Wind was light, and off angle from the SE. But the plane really flew well. I wish I'd had somebody flying something else, to compare. I got the impression it was Weasel/ Alula lift but can't be sure.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 07:08 AM
AvB
Joined Nov 2006
4,687 Posts
Grrr, really wish we had a good DS site for this strong SSE!