HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 25, 2012, 06:04 AM
Australia, QLD, Moggill
Joined Feb 2008
162 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvB View Post
No worries Jason - I hope the info I emailed was some help.

No darn wind this weekend!
Cheers for that
jason riddell is offline Find More Posts by jason riddell
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 25, 2012, 06:07 AM
Australia, QLD, Moggill
Joined Feb 2008
162 Posts
Where is Larrikin and Cactus?
Looks like a great spot.
Where can you slope or DS west of Ipswich?

I'v got a Jazz Extream use to combat at Longreef also got a thermal glider been flying electric
for about 7 years. I miss slope soring never got into DSing but would like too.
Last edited by jason riddell; Aug 25, 2012 at 06:22 AM.
Old Aug 25, 2012, 07:07 AM
AvB
Wind, hill, ... I'm keen ...
Australia, QLD, Woody Point
Joined Nov 2006
4,642 Posts
They're both very private and controlled sites, not open access, so it's strictly by invitation only. Cactus is near Laidley, and Larrikin is near Kilcoy.
AvB is offline Find More Posts by AvB
Old Aug 25, 2012, 05:56 PM
Proto morlock
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Mar 2008
179 Posts
So to post the obvious followup question - are there some good publicly accessible slope sites in the region? Where you can show up without incurring the wrath of clubmembers, paragliders, landowners etc...
Jim_the_Sane is offline Find More Posts by Jim_the_Sane
Old Aug 25, 2012, 07:58 PM
Australia, QLD, Moggill
Joined Feb 2008
162 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_the_Sane View Post
So to post the obvious followup question - are there some good publicly accessible slope sites in the region? Where you can show up without incurring the wrath of clubmembers, paragliders, landowners etc...
Year Good Question!

I heare of all these great places to go fly at. BUT you either have to me a member of some club or group, or have permission to be there. What the. I know a lot of you guys don't want Dickheads to deal with I know what thats like to deal with. I use to fly at Longreef ,what a great spot that is for flying and dealing with the odd wanker.lol. But come on all we want is a place to go and have some fun. I'v been lookin at my Jazz Extream for months wanting to go fly. I almost put a motor on it just so I could fly. Its brand new havent even had a maden flight unless yo call standing on the roof of my house and doing a test throw flying.lol
I don't want to sound like I'm having a winge and I'm sory if it dose. i just want to go sloping.
Last edited by jason riddell; Aug 25, 2012 at 08:11 PM.
Old Aug 25, 2012, 09:14 PM
DS= -$ & :-)
Byron Bay, Australia
Joined Feb 2006
3,089 Posts
I sent you a PM Jason. Kinda gives you a quick rundown on the flyable sites and issues. I gave you directions to an old favorite slope of mine, have fun and use it wisely. I hope we can get a big easterly and try it again this year. It would be great to meet you. Most of us live and fly near the coast and your always welcome.

We have never really had a keen sloper/ds'er living in this area before that has posted on the groups. I really think some of the best hills in Australia are out in that area waiting to be discovered. I know there are quite a few we stare at and want to try. We live so far away that we just stick with the couple we know and have permission for that we fly only a handful of days per year. It takes time to get new sites and most of us are a two to three hour drive away.

Eric
Ezza is offline Find More Posts by Ezza
Old Aug 25, 2012, 09:46 PM
AvB
Joined Nov 2006
4,642 Posts
There's actually an excellent resource in the form of the Windsock website. Gerard and Steve put a lot of work into it. The forum is now closed because of disuse, but the main website is current. Have a look at this: http://www.windsock.net.au/ Go to the top bar ... Flying Locations.

There is a huge amount of info about SEQ sites on the FIRST Windsock forum too. It's a real shame actually that it's sort of lost. It's all still there, but hard to find. Mark van der W comes from out your way (Minden I think) and he spent a lot of time checking out sites out there. He never found anything really great but there were a few good ridges. One time, he was maidening his new Wasp foamie and an eagle took it ... and never returned it! Here is the story: http://windsock.proboards.com/index....ad=1345&page=1

You will be able to find other info by searching that forum. It shows up on the main Windsock site as "Forums - Archive".

Ages ago, I made up a spreadsheeted list of all the DS sites! It was so hard to find good spots that I began to list them all, including possibles we hadn't tried yet. I never really look at it now and it was funny to stumble back across it the other day and remember how thorough I was being, trying to find a good site! That was before Bandicoot. Once I was going there I pretty much stopped hunting!
Old Aug 25, 2012, 11:03 PM
AvB
Joined Nov 2006
4,642 Posts
Scratcho and SC2 for sale

Got a coupla homebrew planes to sell – not so much for the $$ but because I am continuing to make more. So I’m not very keen to ship anything … too lazy … I’d like to just advertise them here to see if I can find local buyers first.

Asking $200 for the original SC2, which flies well. Molded 60”,(1.5m) vac bag wing modeled on the Minij, with a Renegade fuse. It has HS-65HB’s for ailerons, Turnigy 555’s for flaps and HXT900’s for the V-tails. Airfoil is RG-15. It’s a superb sloper which used to fly in nothing, but needs a bit of lift since it’s now had many repairs. The cracks in the fuz and the bodgy wingtip patchup could be restored, but I can’t motivate myself to do it as I’ve moved onto the Scratchos and never fly it, so it’s just gathering dust. I would just about give it away except that it is fully fitted out and ready to fly and servos cost money, so I’m asking $200. It flies nicely despite the crappy wingtip repair! Jirvin has the fuz mold and I have the wing templates so the buyer does have an option for major repairs!

Asking $450 for the original Scratcho. Molded vac bagged wing; with Gerard’s original paint job. 64” (1.6m) span with HN1038 foil. The original fuz and stab have been replaced. It’s RTF (just flew it at the Knob the other day) and fitted out with Bluebird 555’s for aileron, BMS 385-Dmax’s for flaps, and HS-65’s for the rudder and elevator. It’s had a fuse repair but it’s strong and the boom is foam filled. I’ve been sentimentally keeping it since it was the original Scratcho that went so amazingly well that I decided to make a mold and develop them further. And the paint job on the wing is gorgeous. But I do have 4 fully flying Scratchos plus more wings in the cupboard so it’s time!

I really can’t say enough good things about this plane. I really love it and will be sad to see it go. It’s stable, forgiving, but very fast and very balanced in the DS circuit (DS’ed to 185mph). Flies in less air than you’d expect, and penetrates bigger air than you’d expect. Slick aerobatics including the best Ninja stars. Basically it just rips and tears it up, but is user friendly. It’s very tough … no dramas crash landing this baby in the lantana. Much tougher than any hollow molded planes. I feel sure that whoever buys it will have a grin a mile wide when they fly it.
Old Aug 25, 2012, 11:42 PM
Australia, QLD, Moggill
Joined Feb 2008
162 Posts
If I was to join a club who do any of you recamend?
Old Aug 27, 2012, 03:54 AM
Mr Windburner
Australia, QLD, Mudgeeraba
Joined Apr 2009
737 Posts
Beechmont is looking good for this Saturday?
Kevin Bennett is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Bennett
Old Aug 28, 2012, 05:47 AM
Find me a decent hill...
Australia, QLD, South Brisbane
Joined Jan 2010
132 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Bennett View Post
It was... think its going to be westerly rather than SE but I could be wrong... as usual

Cheers

Stu

I need a fly too!
Xgnr is offline Find More Posts by Xgnr
Old Aug 29, 2012, 01:43 AM
AvB
Joined Nov 2006
4,642 Posts
It looks REALLY good for flying at Shorncliffe this arvo. Looks like we've got our first good NE of the season. Might head over there to fly the light Scratcho.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 04:56 AM
Find me a decent hill...
Australia, QLD, South Brisbane
Joined Jan 2010
132 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Bennett View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xgnr View Post
It was... think its going to be westerly rather than SE but I could be wrong... as usual

Cheers

Stu

I need a fly too!
Yep looks like it may well be good on Saturday Arvo (South Easterly)

bring it on :-)
Xgnr is offline Find More Posts by Xgnr
Old Aug 29, 2012, 06:23 AM
AvB
Joined Nov 2006
4,642 Posts
Shorncliffe was great. Moving the CG back a bit more on the light Scratcho made it very enjoyably lively. Didn't fly for long but it was nice.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 07:38 PM
AvB
Joined Nov 2006
4,642 Posts
It actually looks like a pretty good day for Larrikin Ridge today.