HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 20, 2012, 07:33 PM
AvB
Wind, hill, ... I'm keen ...
Australia, QLD, Woody Point
Joined Nov 2006
4,637 Posts
And Rhys did a bit of a report on the Yoda here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1657493&page=4
AvB is online now Find More Posts by AvB
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 21, 2012, 08:10 PM
AvB
Joined Nov 2006
4,637 Posts
Might wander up to Bald Knob today ...
Old Jul 21, 2012, 11:49 PM
Find me a decent hill...
Australia, QLD, South Brisbane
Joined Jan 2010
132 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvB View Post
Might wander up to Bald Knob today ...
How did it go?

I was trying for Laidley but too southerly apparently and not enough easterly so ended up heading for the RSSF field for the first time. Nice bunch of guys :-). I now have club membership and MAAQ insurance cover so maybe can expand my flying a bit

Had a good couple of hours with the electrics until the wind picked up and the place emptied out and I was flying on my own.

I did manage to pick up some nice thermals with the electric 2M foamy glider so all was good with the world for a while.

Cheers
Stu
Xgnr is offline Find More Posts by Xgnr
Old Jul 22, 2012, 07:02 AM
AvB
Joined Nov 2006
4,637 Posts
It was great actually. Good lift on the south side, lovely weather, and plenty of guys flying.

I did a report here on the Aussie DS thread http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...07821&page=792
Old Jul 24, 2012, 06:55 AM
Find me a decent hill...
Joined Jan 2010
132 Posts
Gympie...

Hi folks

Heading up to Gympie this weekend for a Jet Fighter flight (yes a real one).

We are spending the night in Gympie Sat night (which is no doubt a fun town .) heading back on Sunday.

Being new to Queensland and the local flying ... are there any publicly accessible spots for a bit of sloping on the way home*?

Cheers

Stu

* home is South Brisbane
Old Jul 24, 2012, 07:17 AM
AvB
Joined Nov 2006
4,637 Posts
Hard to know Stu ... depends on the wind direction. It looks like the tail end of a westerly for Sat, and mostly light south or SSE on the coast on Sunday arvo. I can't think of any obvious good spots for those conditions. If it is late on Sunday there's probably enough SE in it to fly at Point Cartwright near Maroochydore. If it goes more E there are a couple of spots on the range north of Maleny. If you're REALLY adventurous, climb Mt Coolum and fly off the top. (don't fly fragile stuff!)
Old Jul 25, 2012, 05:24 AM
AvB
Joined Nov 2006
4,637 Posts
Friday looks possibly good for westerly DSing so if I'm not still so sick with the flu, and things are in control with family and work, I'll try to go to Larrikin Ridge.

Saturday looks like a better day but I'm not available.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 07:56 AM
Find me a decent hill...
Joined Jan 2010
132 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvB View Post
Hard to know Stu ... depends on the wind direction. It looks like the tail end of a westerly for Sat, and mostly light south or SSE on the coast on Sunday arvo. I can't think of any obvious good spots for those conditions. If it is late on Sunday there's probably enough SE in it to fly at Point Cartwright near Maroochydore. If it goes more E there are a couple of spots on the range north of Maleny. If you're REALLY adventurous, climb Mt Coolum and fly off the top. (don't fly fragile stuff!)
Righto thanks for that Andrew, I am only "allowed" small and light stuff in "her" new wagon so it will be the Speedo and a Tx just in case somewhere windy and slopey appears.

Cheers
Old Aug 01, 2012, 03:22 AM
Cliff
Australia, QLD, Pacific Paradise
Joined Oct 2011
371 Posts
Got myself a DUCK from Pete {WOWINGS} and I will have it ready (hopefully) for some combat at Bald Knob on this Sunday .My wiesel type glider is getting a flogging.(its like it has a target painted on it.(get the wiesel)Time for some payback AVB when are you getting another combat wing?
16141 is offline Find More Posts by 16141
Old Aug 01, 2012, 11:37 PM
AvB
Joined Nov 2006
4,637 Posts
Friday arvo

Bernd is busting to get out for a fly again and get his German-colours Bee back in the air. Shano is also keen, and we've scheduled to get out to Larrikin tomorrow arvo. It's only forecast to be a light westerly, so we'll reassess in the morning. But fingers crossed there's a miracle and that contrary to the rule of forecasts, it strengthens rather than fades. Hoping for some nice light DS and frontside fun.
Old Aug 03, 2012, 07:40 AM
It flies!
Sunshine Coast, Australia
Joined Jun 2007
1,543 Posts
Did you get a chance to go to Larrikin today Andrew?
Sean Moloney is offline Find More Posts by Sean Moloney
Old Aug 03, 2012, 07:54 AM
AvB
Joined Nov 2006
4,637 Posts
Yes, it was nice - report here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...8#post22343841
Old Aug 06, 2012, 08:10 PM
AvB
Joined Nov 2006
4,637 Posts
It's looking good for DS winds for Friday. I think the forecast has weakened slightly since yesterday but it should still be very good. Fingers crossed. Shane and I are planning to go to Larrikin with Bernd.
Old Aug 08, 2012, 06:09 PM
AvB
Joined Nov 2006
4,637 Posts
Definitely looking good for tomorrow. Forecast has strengthened a bit since yesterday.
Old Aug 09, 2012, 12:25 AM
Australia, QLD, Booyal
Joined Aug 2011
985 Posts
What is the most northern slope site you guys can think of? I am in bundaberg and am interested in seeing what sloping is like. Ive got a 2m wing span 1500g e-hawk 2000 which i got for dad as a first plane to learn on. A couple of the saturday morning fliers fly radians and a couple of other gliders but they seem to be mostly thermal gliders. Do you guys know of any groups that fly slope up here? If not what are some tips for looking for a site.

Ps. I am actually in booyal a bit south and towards gin gin. It is fairl hilly (not high) but they all seem really close so no open flat ground
scrubmonkey is offline Find More Posts by scrubmonkey