HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 10, 2013, 09:50 PM
Happily Addicted
Gold Coast
Joined Jan 2009
158 Posts
I'd be interested to chat with James. ( if the planets align for me)
Iwanufly is offline Find More Posts by Iwanufly
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 23, 2013, 02:49 AM
AvB
Wind, hill, ... I'm keen ...
Australia, QLD, Woody Point
Joined Nov 2006
4,631 Posts
Hey guys I just had a call from James Hammond. He's just arrived in Brisbane this arvo and staying in a motel at Springwood. He's completely free tonight and all Sunday. Doesn't have any transport.

I'm gonna try to make sure he gets out to see/ do some flying tomorrow, although the weather doesn't look great. Maybe a trip to Byron Bay?? If anyone else wants to meet him or take him somewhere, PM me and I'll send you his details.

As far as giving a talk goes, I gave him the Spanish Inquisition myself so he's totally worn out now and refuses to speak. Haha, nah just kidding. He's happy to have a meeting any time including Sunday and Monday nights. I'm not sure how to handle it but perhaps let me know your preferences and we'll pick a time that would suit. I think Sunday night would be best for me.

I get the impression James doesn't need any preparation and would be happy to interact in any way off the cuff. He's been designing planes for many years, from lots of home building (so he understands all the practical issues of backyard "shed stuff") right up to the level of wind tunnel testing foils and using multiple 5 and 7 axis CNC machines.

We need a quorum of DS addicts there to brainwash him about what we need in the design of future DS ships!!

Let me know what you guys wanna do.
AvB is online now Find More Posts by AvB
Old Feb 23, 2013, 05:41 AM
AvB
Joined Nov 2006
4,631 Posts
Looks like we're aiming towards a get-together at Evan's place (nice workshop) at Mango Hill on Monday night, 7:30-ish. (Maximum of 10 takers). Larrikin is collecting the names.

I'm hoping to take James down to Byron tomorrow to see some sights and meet Ezza, Tim, Asto. If anybody wants to join into either of these, let me know.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 09:35 AM
less sleep more planes
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Sep 2006
421 Posts
Thanks for putting it on David ,and organization AVB, put me down .
Very tempted to join you, what time in the morning ?
PlayinInTheParK is online now Find More Posts by PlayinInTheParK
Old Feb 24, 2013, 06:46 AM
Joined Jul 2012
232 Posts
Thanks Guys for a lovely day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvB View Post
Hey guys I just had a call from James Hammond. He's just arrived in Brisbane this arvo and staying in a motel at Springwood. He's completely free tonight and all Sunday. Doesn't have any transport.

I'm gonna try to make sure he gets out to see/ do some flying tomorrow, although the weather doesn't look great. Maybe a trip to Byron Bay?? If anyone else wants to meet him or take him somewhere, PM me and I'll send you his details.

As far as giving a talk goes, I gave him the Spanish Inquisition myself so he's totally worn out now and refuses to speak. Haha, nah just kidding. He's happy to have a meeting any time including Sunday and Monday nights. I'm not sure how to handle it but perhaps let me know your preferences and we'll pick a time that would suit. I think Sunday night would be best for me.

I get the impression James doesn't need any preparation and would be happy to interact in any way off the cuff. He's been designing planes for many years, from lots of home building (so he understands all the practical issues of backyard "shed stuff") right up to the level of wind tunnel testing foils and using multiple 5 and 7 axis CNC machines.

We need a quorum of DS addicts there to brainwash him about what we need in the design of future DS ships!!

Let me know what you guys wanna do.
Quick note of thanks to Andrew, Tim, Eric and "the Last Slope Indian (NOBODY argues with the Last Slope Indian) ...for a great day and a nice couple fo flights with Andrew's Scratcho - which flies very well.

Great to chat with you lads and looking forward to giving a talk tomorrow.

Cheers and thanks again.

James
Doc James H is offline Find More Posts by Doc James H
Last edited by Doc James H; Feb 24, 2013 at 06:55 AM.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 04:14 PM
DS= -$ & :-)
Byron Bay, Australia
Joined Feb 2006
3,086 Posts
It really was great to meet you James. Thanks for coming down it was a fun and interesting day. Big thanks to Andrew for getting us all together.

Eric
Ezza is online now Find More Posts by Ezza
Old Feb 24, 2013, 04:17 PM
ERS....Energy Retention System
gold coast australia
Joined Aug 2008
5,558 Posts
Thanks James ..
Really good to put a face to a name... Very exiting to hear about u p coming models in the works.

Hear is my bungee war wound...ha ha. Gizmo launch at 118mph.

IMO....look like a set of ?

timbuck is online now Find More Posts by timbuck
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by timbuck; Feb 24, 2013 at 05:03 PM.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 04:48 PM
Joined Jul 2012
232 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by timbuck View Post
Thanks James ..
Really good to put a face to a name... Very exiting to hear about u p coming models in the works.

Hear is my bunny war wound...ha ha. Gizmo launch at 118mph.

IMO....look like a set of ?

Nice to meet you lads too Tim - Loved the Gizmo, nice to fly Andrew's Scratcho, Lovely to meet Kev and Shane earlier, but I'm still cringing when I hear the sound of that Bungee smacking you in the tum though...bugger!

Lovely day - thanks to all.

James.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 04:49 PM
Joined Jul 2012
232 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezza View Post
It really was great to meet you James. Thanks for coming down it was a fun and interesting day. Big thanks to Andrew for getting us all together.

Eric
Great to meet you too Eric and to review your "fleet"...lovely stuff!

Cheers,

James.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 05:06 PM
Mr Windburner
Australia, QLD, Mudgeeraba
Joined Apr 2009
735 Posts
It was good to meet you James, it was a shame we did not have more time to talk.
Thanks Andrew for taking the time to drop into the Burner shed on your way to Byron.
Kev
Kevin Bennett is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Bennett
Old Feb 24, 2013, 10:20 PM
AvB
Joined Nov 2006
4,631 Posts
Sorry I posted this also on the Slopetrash thread:

I picked James Hammond up at Springwood and heís such an easygoing chap full of great stories that the drive south flitted by and in no time we were at Kevís shed at Mudgeeraba, behind the Gold Coast. It was my first visit to Kevís and wished that Iíd taken Kev up on one of his many previous invitations! He has it really well set up and James and I were soon fondling his nice new Corian ĎBurner wing moulds. Shane Suffolk turned up soon too and there was more than plenty to talk about. After an hour or so we tore ourselves away and headed south again.

After a fuel, coffee and food stop we made our way to Byron. There was a bit of breeze and the threatening rain hadnít arrived so we decided to head straight for a hill instead of going to Ericís place. At Pinetrees the light Scratcho went up nicely. James reckoned he hadnít actually flown anything for about a year, so I decided this wasnít acceptable and I set about changing my spare radio over to his Mode 2 arrangement. Eric turned up while I was still cursing and brutalizing some gymbal screws that had been stripped on Weldon last year (I forgot to fix it later) but soon I had it working Ö jumped the fence with James and and launched the light PU Scratcho, and he was soon happily flying.

Tim turned up too, and after a while James returned looking embarrassed, carrying the SCratcho with a lightly cracked boom, saying that it was flying fine but had suddenly started doing some ďcrazy sh#tĒ and nearly crashed but heíd managed to bring it down in the paddock rather than totally losing it. How weird??!!?? Oh shucks, I went red as it suddenly dawned on me. After mechanically changing the gimbals Iíd then dialled the radioís menu to mode 2, but I had forgotten to press the button! James had been flying it with the menu flashing, and when he bumped the dial it switched it to a different mode!! So all of a sudden, the controls were mixed up! I think he deserves a medal for landing it!! It was a quick CA fix and back in the air soon. Thatís one big plus for putting Kevlar in your fuselage layups. They CA back together incredibly easily.

Eric flew the Fosa and tried to give James a DS demo, but the conditions were lame and dodgy. I flew my Vector, much to Jamesí delight. The Vector was the first plane of his design that went to RCRCM and it still has a big place in his heart. Asto turned up and flew his Stobel, and I got my homebrew Zone V2 DLG out too. The wind was that light. Tim was flying Kevís light Gizmo and it reveled in the conditions.

It got so light that the PU Scratcho wasnít getting a lot of height, so Tim and Eric organized a bungee, pinched a hook out of my toolbox and started bungeeing the Gizmo, and radar gunning it on launch! It bungeed very well! I was admiring Astanís ďPinkyĒ which is a hybrid of a F5B wing (molded in heavy DS layup) and an Art Hobby Fuse with a custom Asto X-tail. A very impressive looking DS ship and I was very jealous. Tim, Eric and James were still giggling at the bungee launches and as Tim grunted the last few metres of stretch towards us there was a nasty THWACK! We leapt up to find that the bungee had snapped and smacked hard into Timís side! Spaghetti welts were already coming up! Heís gonna be sore!

Soon it was back to Ericís place, just as the rain hit. We were quick to start shoving Kinetics and other DS bits into Jamesí hands to try to convey to him the attributes required for making DSable mouldies! These guys have not had much exposure to DS, so itís an education just seeing how heavy and tough the planes can be. I think we gave him a good brainwashing! But we learnt a thing or 2 as well. Looking forward to the meeting at Evanís tonight where James will talk about some more specific details of design, foil design and testing, manufacture and so on.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 12:16 AM
Just Stab It In
Bangalow,Australia
Joined Aug 2008
1,337 Posts
Nice to meet you James. Great to meet another builder.
You'll have to send one of those Shwing's over so we can Test it out thoroughly in the Cactus groove.
airtimeasto is offline Find More Posts by airtimeasto
Old Feb 25, 2013, 12:37 AM
wyong, NSW, Aust
Joined Apr 2005
393 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by airtimeasto View Post
Nice to meet you James. Great to meet another builder.
You'll have to send one of those Shwing's over so we can Test it out thoroughly in the Cactus groove.
If you want a schwing talk to Andrew at Falcon gliders as he still has a few left. I love mine and want to make it last so am resisting putting it over the back for now.

regards,
Arie
glidesailrc is offline Find More Posts by glidesailrc
Old Feb 26, 2013, 08:11 AM
less sleep more planes
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Sep 2006
421 Posts
Hammond meeting last night was great ,thanks to the organizers and James
PlayinInTheParK is online now Find More Posts by PlayinInTheParK
Old Feb 26, 2013, 05:55 PM
de-registered abuser