HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 25, 2012, 05:33 AM
Toowoomba
Joined May 2005
35 Posts
Geoff,

Theres a group of us at Toowoomba that fly down at Withcott, Blanchview and Ma Ma Creek which unfortunately is a bit far for you ( I guess).

We do go down to Laidley on occasion and is always a good location.

Kind regards,

Mike.
snab is offline Find More Posts by snab
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 25, 2012, 06:12 AM
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Feb 2002
1,144 Posts
Thanks Mike. Yes, those sort of spots are a bit of a drive, but not a whole lot more than heading up to Montville/Maleny or the Kilcoy area.

I've flown once at Withcott but not the others you mentioned. I did live in Toowoomba at one stage and always drooled when looking at the hills around that area - Ma Ma Ck in particular looks epic.
Geoff_S is online now Find More Posts by Geoff_S
Last edited by Geoff_S; Nov 25, 2012 at 06:20 AM.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 03:27 AM
AvB
Wind, hill, ... I'm keen ...
Australia, QLD, Woody Point
Joined Nov 2006
4,694 Posts
Great little fly at Shorncliffe just after 5pm today. Rhys came over and flew the cutdown Scratcho and I was content to watch, although I had the other Scratcho bound to another radio. I told him how I'd been trying to hand catch it, and encouraged him to have a go. When I did it, I probably did a dozen fly-pasts before getting it right, and I've only got 2 so far. So he lined it up and floated it into his hand about an inch above the grass on the lip. I called him various names but he still went and did it again. Cheeesh.

I flew the "light" Scratcho too, and I'd moved the CG back, but it may be a bit too far. Felt a bit porpoise-ish. Tried the hand catch but after a few tries, it landed nicely into the grass. Six months ago I would have thought it amazing to pull off that landing. Now it's the hand catch. I think Rhys uses the rudder to good effect when hovering along the lip, so I need to work on that.
AvB is online now Find More Posts by AvB
Old Nov 29, 2012, 05:07 AM
AvB
Joined Nov 2006
4,694 Posts
It was another REALLY great afternoon for flying at Shorncliffe. The wind was fairly northerly but strong and the lift was powerful. Once again the cut-down PU SCratcho was the star. It's amazing to me that a wing with the tips hacked off in an elliptical taper, foam gouged out from between the skins, and cut skin edges taped together roughly, flies so perfectly. It rolls like a Weasel, rolls and carves so easily that it makes the small zone at SC feel like a "big slope" experience and I have to say it's the most fun plane I've ever flown there. Gerard went Wow as soon as he flew it and had a great long fly. We also flew the "Scratcho which was previously referred to as the light Scratcho" and also the Miraj. Gerard's gettting the knack of landings, and from plenty of fun attempts, I got a really nice hand catch.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 05:59 AM
Chasin' that Neon Rainbow
Australia, QLD, Grantham
Joined Oct 2012
2,967 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by snab View Post
Geoff,

Theres a group of us at Toowoomba that fly down at Withcott, Blanchview and Ma Ma Creek which unfortunately is a bit far for you ( I guess).

We do go down to Laidley on occasion and is always a good location.

Kind regards,

Mike.
Hi Mike Nice to see some local yokels around. I am a bit of a loner and live between Helidon and Grantham. I have a Radian and a Trojan and a little PC9.
Would be nice to catch up one day when you are down this way. Here is a vid of my Radian flying around Grantham.
Cheers, Dougie
Radian vid cut (4 min 1 sec)
Grantham Kid is offline Find More Posts by Grantham Kid
Old Dec 03, 2012, 03:17 AM
AvB
Joined Nov 2006
4,694 Posts
Hey I went flying in a REAL glider with Rhys at Kingaroy yesterday! Report is here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...09787&page=882
Old Dec 03, 2012, 04:29 AM
Toowoomba
Joined May 2005
35 Posts
That's a cool video Doug and in some of your footage you can see in the background where some of us go slope soaring in ' them thar hills'!

We were actually down at Laidley Saturday afternoon and had a great time.

Send a PM if you'd like to go sloping with us.

Kind regards,

Mike.
snab is offline Find More Posts by snab
Old Dec 03, 2012, 07:04 AM
Chasin' that Neon Rainbow
Australia, QLD, Grantham
Joined Oct 2012
2,967 Posts
Hi Mike, yeah, I would love to come and meet yous.
PM/email coming
Grantham Kid is offline Find More Posts by Grantham Kid
Last edited by Grantham Kid; Dec 03, 2012 at 05:35 PM.
Old Dec 09, 2012, 12:35 AM
AvB
Joined Nov 2006
4,694 Posts
Hey guys, I'm heading back over to Christchurch to go flying with the guys on the NZ international DS fest. My wife Janet's coming over later this week and we're then having a holiday TOGETHER over there!

If you want to follow the reports from the NZ DS exploits (there's quite a bunch of Aussies and Kiwis congregated in Christchurch for it) then check out this thread:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1781493&page=4
Old Dec 29, 2012, 12:28 PM
less sleep more planes
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Sep 2006
432 Posts
Fluid

Hi all, started a build thread here ,hope to have it up and flying in a few months.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...3#post23651044
PlayinInTheParK is offline Find More Posts by PlayinInTheParK
Old Jan 03, 2013, 01:31 AM
Time to burn up some wind yo!
Palmwoods, QLD, Australia
Joined Jan 2009
1,273 Posts
hey guys hoping to be sloping down at beechmont on sunday afternoon 'cause our family is going to visit other family, hope to catch up with some of you before i head off again!

cheers
Jarred
AussieJarred is offline Find More Posts by AussieJarred
Old Jan 03, 2013, 01:32 AM
Time to burn up some wind yo!
Palmwoods, QLD, Australia
Joined Jan 2009
1,273 Posts
also doesn't look like a bad s/e'ly
AussieJarred is offline Find More Posts by AussieJarred
Old Jan 04, 2013, 03:52 PM
Australia, QLD, Moggill
Joined Feb 2008
169 Posts
Air Bagging

Hay guys how’s it going? Been a while since I was last here.
I need some help/advice. I want to try air bagging my first plane.
Where do I start, What’s the best thing to make a mould out of, What do you use as a bag, what sort of pump??? You know the usual beginner stuff. Lol.

AbV how’s the DSing going. Would be great to catch up again.
jason riddell is offline Find More Posts by jason riddell
Old Jan 04, 2013, 04:11 PM
ERS....Energy Retention System
gold coast australia
Joined Aug 2008
5,609 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason riddell View Post
Hay guys how’s it going? Been a while since I was last here.
I need some help/advice. I want to try air bagging my first plane.
Where do I start, What’s the best thing to make a mould out of, What do you use as a bag, what sort of pump??? You know the usual beginner stuff. Lol.

AbV how’s the DSing going. Would be great to catch up again.
Composite forum....lots and lots on info, specific threads on everything you need..

Tim
timbuck is offline Find More Posts by timbuck
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Gizmo 36 pics
Old Jan 05, 2013, 12:02 AM
Australia, QLD, Moggill
Joined Feb 2008
169 Posts
cheers Tim
jason riddell is offline Find More Posts by jason riddell