AvB
Wind, hill, ... I'm keen ...
Australia, QLD, Woody Point
Joined Nov 2006
4,365 Posts
Discussion
B.A.D.S.S.P.A.R ~ Brisbane Area DS/ Sloping - Plans and Reports

B.A.D.S.S.P.A.R ~ Brisbane Area DS/ Sloping - Plans and Reports

We used to have Windsock to cater for the slopers and DS addicts around Brisbane, but it's died off and anybody who's really keen on posting stuff does so here on RCG, so Gerard has finally closed Windsock.

But I'd like to get back to having a place where the Brisbane/ Gold Coast/ Sunshine Coast slopetrash and DS Junkies can post news of their upcoming slope trip plans and look to see what the other local slope vigilantes are up to.

Being one of the most frequent Brisbane slope nomads I get a few guys making contact and saying "I'm new to the area ... let me know when you're going out next; I'd like to come" ... but it's hard to remember and to contact everyone - so it's an advantage for me to have a single point of reference.

So I'm starting this new thread to cater for all existing and new Brisbane/ Area slope psychopaths. May this thread have a long and fruitful life.
AvB is online now Find More Posts by AvB
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 07, 2012, 06:30 AM
Shane Spoor
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Sep 2006
352 Posts
Sad to see Windsock go ,good idea to start this thread ,would be good to know what slope/ds stuff is planed .
PlayinInTheParK is offline Find More Posts by PlayinInTheParK
Old Jul 07, 2012, 06:34 AM
Planes dress doors...
Australia, QLD, Kippa-Ring
Joined Mar 2011
663 Posts
Well, I'll start then!

Just amassed a giant pile of gliders for tomorrow arvo -

Got the Yoda fixed up and back to 90 degree throws each way. Plus added a magnet to the hatch so it doesn't fly off mid flip again.

Put the D40 together and spray painted it with a rattle can to make it (slightly) less ugly than it was. (Just for you AVB - I know you can't stand my ugly gliders)

Fixed up the quad copter by re-soldering every one of the 32 connections between the power distribution board and the motors. - Plus got it ready for the new KK2 board to drop straight in .

Edit: dammit!!! Shane beat me to the first post lol

Re-Ca'd and cartooned the DLG wing after I threw a sleeping bag on it this morning and snapped it in half. I also re-attached the horizontal stab after the same incident.

I also added some more nose weight to the MiniVec and re-Ca'd the fuse cracks all round... I think I might use it to combat tomorrow...

So anyways! Ready for a quick arvo slope!

Edit: Dammit! Shane beat me to the first post
Rhys Porter is offline Find More Posts by Rhys Porter
Old Jul 07, 2012, 05:04 PM
Find me a decent hill...
Australia, QLD, South Brisbane
Joined Jan 2010
132 Posts
Good on ya Andrew

Had a great day up at Laidley yesterday with the RSSF guys who made me very welcome as a guest, lift was awesome and the variable gusty conditions made for some interesting landings.

Managed to get a bunch of my toys in the air and brought them all back home in one piece even tho' the Prodij had a cartwheel that needed two new wing screws (TG plastic screws were invented) oops.

Flattened two tx battery packs so tried out my Lipo mod and it worked a treat (3S 1000mAH with two diodes to reduce voltage so I don't stuff it at 9.3 cut off)

Looking forward to getting out again, its been a flying drought for too long.

Cheers

Stu
Xgnr is offline Find More Posts by Xgnr
Last edited by Xgnr; Jul 07, 2012 at 05:09 PM.
Old Jul 07, 2012, 06:58 PM
AvB
Joined Nov 2006
4,365 Posts
Maleny club AGM, BBQ and fun fly today ...

Jeez Rhys, did you get any sleep?!
Old Jul 07, 2012, 08:51 PM
Joined Sep 2009
65 Posts
Great news ,wondering what happened to Windsock ,I fly at Ladiley but was not there yesterday as I am planing my trip to Oshkosh,not far away now. I have a lot of fixing up to do when I get back but still have flyable stuff around.Hope to see you all soon. Noel.
noisyone is offline Find More Posts by noisyone
Old Jul 08, 2012, 02:38 AM
QLD Australia
Joined Sep 2005
26 Posts
This site will be good as I have not been in the loop of what has been on of late.
ED
1bird is offline Find More Posts by 1bird
Old Jul 08, 2012, 05:42 AM
AvB
Joined Nov 2006
4,365 Posts
Nice day at Bald Knob (BK) today. Meeting was short, and lots of time spent flying. Wind was pretty fresh most of the time and switching from SSE to ESE. I got the big Stratos DSing on the Hump soon as I arrived … then only a short time later the wind was east enough and I had the light SCratcho DSing at the gate!

The highlight of the day for me was late in the arvo, when it was just DSable on the hump, with Shane DSing his Flying Fish and me the Scratcho … sometimes using different ends of the ridge and sometimes in the same circuit, with a few too-close, adrenaline surge moments. Shane’s second bub is only 5 months old and he’s been starved for flying, so it was great to see him out taking risks with a cheap glass moldie wearing a grin from ear to ear.

I regretted my foamie-apathy when I didn’t have one to join the dozen guys doing combat , and couldn’t help myself flying the Scratcho thru the pack … with the inevitable mid-air bingle, but the Scratcho didn’t miss a beat. Soon a shower of rain came thru … the combatters all landed and ran for cover, but seeing that the wind had swung more south I walked down the road to DS on the Hump … that’s when Shane came down too, and I must have stayed in the air DSing with him for about 45 minutes and when I landed found a cracked tailboom! Must have been that midair! Glad it didn’t rip off pulling those DS laps!!

Rhys had to work today and didn’t leave Redcliffe till 3pm!! When I left he was giving a Yoda VTPR demonstration to some previously secret admirers.

A great day and a great bunch. Bald Knob’s such a scenic place to fly even if the lift can be patchy. Sadly the use of the site is very restricted by 3 parties: the owner, Channel 7 who own the repeater towers and the owner of the cattle too. They’re keeping a tight stranglehold on the size of the club and have banned any public access, or visits by non-club members. So it’s a fairly “closed club” – not many new members allowed, unfortunately.
Old Jul 08, 2012, 06:06 PM
Brettski
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Apr 2007
37 Posts
Local Thread

Thanks Andrew. Great idea to have a local thread for sloping in SE QLD.

Sorry to hear that Windsock closed. Is Gerard on RC Groups?

Brett
SoarPilot is offline Find More Posts by SoarPilot
Old Jul 08, 2012, 06:30 PM
AvB
Joined Nov 2006
4,365 Posts
Gerard doesn't really watch the Groups at all now - fairly swamped with work and family (new baby 3 wks old). He gets out for a regular electrics fly when he can, and we get together at Shorncliffe or Woody Pt when he's round and the wind's good. But I'm hoping I can entice him to subscribe to this thread.
Old Jul 08, 2012, 06:35 PM
Brettski
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Apr 2007
37 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvB View Post
Gerard doesn't really watch the Groups at all now - fairly swamped with work and family (new baby 3 wks old). He gets out for a regular electrics fly when he can, and we get together at Shorncliffe or Woody Pt when he's round and the wind's good. But I'm hoping I can entice him to subscribe to this thread.
I occassionally catch him at Woody Point.

If you see him, please pass on my congrats for the new addition to the family.

Brettski
Old Jul 09, 2012, 02:40 AM
Planes dress doors...
Australia, QLD, Kippa-Ring
Joined Mar 2011
663 Posts
Heeeeeey Brett! Long time no hear!

Had a great hour and a half's fly up at BK last night, was AWESOME. Flew the Yoda for the second time ever and geeeeez it was fun. Had all the oldies amazed at seeing their first real life multi flips - and even a rudder flip by the end of it! The poor thing died after a low inverted pass that was a little lower than i'd like, snapping the fuse behind the wing.. Which will now allow me to make the second fuse i was planning on :-D
Rhys Porter is offline Find More Posts by Rhys Porter
Old Jul 09, 2012, 05:22 PM
Brettski
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Apr 2007
37 Posts
Hi Rhys,

Great to hear from you!

Can't wait to see that Yoda fly. Sounds like heaps of fun. I've often thought about building a Madslide or Le Fish for days when the wind is lighter and you still wanna throw something around.

I've just about finished the Mountain Models DL50 (basic DLG). Talk about four years in the making and a team of six helpers! I'm not the world's quickest builder. I think my next glider will be ARF or thereabouts.

I'll have to catch up with you and Andrew sometime soon.

Keep flying!

Brettski
Old Jul 10, 2012, 07:36 AM
Cliff
Australia, QLD, Pacific Paradise
Joined Oct 2011
359 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhys Porter View Post
Heeeeeey Brett! Long time no hear!

Had a great hour and a half's fly up at BK last night, was AWESOME. Flew the Yoda for the second time ever and geeeeez it was fun. Had all the oldies amazed at seeing their first real life multi flips - and even a rudder flip by the end of it! The poor thing died after a low inverted pass that was a little lower than i'd like, snapping the fuse behind the wing.. Which will now allow me to make the second fuse i was planning on :-D
Yes it was amazing to see the the YODA master in action at BK in less than perfect conditions and even more amazed that it was only the second time you have ever flown it.It was also good to have met you and Andrew and look forward to seeing you both at BK again.

Cliff
16141 is offline Find More Posts by 16141
Old Jul 20, 2012, 04:17 AM
AvB
Joined Nov 2006
4,365 Posts
Rhys and I went up and flew at Bald Knob this arvo. The wind was nowhere near as much as forecast, but it was still a great arvo's flying. Nothing terribly exciting, but I did a bit of a report here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...07821&page=792