HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 07, 2012, 04:08 AM
LRN'N2FLY
United States, OH, Dayton
Joined May 2012
35 Posts
Discussion
Any Mq-9/Mq-1 Reaper/Predator foamie builds?

Hi guys.
I searched the threads for some depron Reapers or Pred plans/builds and found nothing?
I am thinking I wanna give it a try as a few friends of mine want one also. I find it hard to believe nobody has wanted to make one of these natural born foam gliders

Seeing no plans yet, how do I start making a template?
If the planned plane will be 2-3ft wide/long, is depron the best choice?

It's obviously a pusher, but I will cruise the threads to see what motors you guys have used and what servo's have been working.

Will try to complete the project in a few months before Fall.

Remy
Remy130 is offline Find More Posts by Remy130
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 07, 2012, 09:38 AM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,992 Posts
Remy,

I've seen them done. Can't remember which forum though. Might have even seen one in Micro Electrics. There are several commercial kits and I heard they all fly good. I encourage a scratch build, it should be easy enough.

I use poster board to draw, enlarge, layout my plans, then cut it out. Good enough to use as a foam cutting template. Need something longer, the edge tape together and back up with a support strip of PB.

With such a long wingspan the actual model will not be ungainly. Since it appears you are in Ohio, look for some blue or pink fff (fan folded) foam at Lowes or Home Depot. Menard's if you have one. Paint it. You will use plenty in the long run and much cheaper than Depron, and nice to work with. The new MPF (model plane foam) Ken and the boy's are selling is very nice stuff, similar to fff, but comes in white. More $$$ but might be worth it, still way cheaper than Depron, and still very nice to work with.

Fred
Freddie B is offline Find More Posts by Freddie B
Old Jul 07, 2012, 10:01 AM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
12,451 Posts
Scroll down to the 'Similar Threads' list, there are a couple there, (ignore the FS/W ones).

Also try a thread title search on Predator, Reaper, and MQ-9 for more, (Advanced Search).
eflightray is offline Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Jul 07, 2012, 10:28 AM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
16,322 Posts
Here is one that is kind of like what you're looking for I think, and it is a very nice flyer too:

UAV Flying Wing - http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1028334

The designer/builder of that, jaron, has some other interesting builds and you can see links to them from his blog page:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=176716

Those are more for FPV than gliders but I think if you leave the FPV gear out it will thermal and loiter nicely on the glide.

The KF winged gliders are generally higher drag and not very competitive with high performance gliders in the area of power off air speeds and cross country speeds on the glide. They also lose something to them on the sink rates too but if you're flying with some thermal lift that can be a moot point. They can be wonderful for sports flying and are very stable and easy to fly.

Jack
jackerbes is offline Find More Posts by jackerbes
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 23, 2012, 12:50 PM
Italia, Emilia Romagna, Parma
Joined Sep 2011
26 Posts
Hi, I'm building a MQ-9 Reaper out of foam... Come see my thread!!!

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1708057

I cut the foam with my CNC hotwire.

Bye
ArtisanAirliners is offline Find More Posts by ArtisanAirliners