HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 30, 2012, 03:55 PM
Emress
United States, SD, Rapid City
Joined Nov 2011
1,934 Posts
yes it is possible. but youll need another ISP programmer since the USBASP doesnt have the arduino bootloader(so it cant communicate via serial)
sirbow2 is offline Find More Posts by sirbow2
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 30, 2012, 04:26 PM
Joined Feb 2009
314 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menno View Post
I've got 3 Plush 25 amp ESC's with Atmel processors and 1 Plush 25 amp ESC with Silab processor (lucky me ).

Now that the Silabs can also be flashed with Multicopter firmware I might give it a go. However I don't really feel like buying a 25 dollar toolstick to flash a 12 dollar ESC. Do you think it will ever be possible to flash it using the USBASP controller. Almost everybody with a KK board already has this programmer. Or is this strictly for Atmel?
You may find this an interesting alternative. :thumbup:

http://www.helifreak.com/showthread....19#post4147119
rceccleston is offline Find More Posts by rceccleston
Old Aug 02, 2012, 05:14 PM
Emress
Joined Nov 2011
1,934 Posts
i have updated the tutorial at oddcopter for rev6.0 of blheli (the link in the first post), but ill put it in this post too: http://oddcopter.com/2012/07/18/flas...heli-firmware/

this is the new list of supported ESCs:
Turnigy Plush 6/10/12/18/25/30A
Turnigy AE 25A (All N-Fet design aka it runs cooler)
DP 3A
XP 3/7/12/18/25A
SuperMicro 3/5A
Old Aug 03, 2012, 10:19 PM
Joined Apr 2012
68 Posts
Just flashed my Plush 18A's and can't fly now The motors are very rough to start and then one or more will drop out when I try to take off. Going back through all the information again but I'm not sure what the problem will be. All I have done is flashed them with the version 6 multi software. I see there is the BLSetup program but I have not idea what options I need to choose. I am using the DT750's. Any help would be great.
pjman is offline Find More Posts by pjman
Old Aug 04, 2012, 01:51 AM
Joined Dec 2009
362 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjman View Post
Just flashed my Plush 18A's and can't fly now The motors are very rough to start and then one or more will drop out when I try to take off. Going back through all the information again but I'm not sure what the problem will be. All I have done is flashed them with the version 6 multi software. I see there is the BLSetup program but I have not idea what options I need to choose. I am using the DT750's. Any help would be great.
Just worked a lot on debugging plush yesterday. See these posts:
http://forums.openpilot.org/topic/10...20#entry109662
http://www.helifreak.com/showpost.ph...postcount=1731
Attached is a test code that should run (couldn't upload hex, so I renamed it to txt):TURNIGY_PLUSH_18A_MULTI_R...
-S
sskaug is offline Find More Posts by sskaug
Old Aug 04, 2012, 02:44 AM
Joined Apr 2012
68 Posts
cheers for that. I'll test it now and let you know how it goes in 20 minutes or so.
Old Aug 04, 2012, 02:56 AM
United States, NV, North Las Vegas
Joined Sep 2009
1,075 Posts
sskaug, thanks for the hard work and info! you explained what I was seeing in my flashed Funfly 10A ESC... that "step" is what concerns me and keeps me from flashing more ESC's. I'm just not sure how it will effect flight since I do use full throttle ALOT flying sport/aerobatics. I haven't measured watts but it seems that I would loose a fair amount of power if I adjusted the endpoints to remove the step.

I know very little of how ESC's work when it comes to code/hardware... curious... I have 10 turnigy plush 25A that have the Amtel chips and are flashed with simonK code... none of these have the "step", is this due to different hardware or something in the Amtel code?

again, thanks for your work!
shultz is offline Find More Posts by shultz
Old Aug 04, 2012, 03:12 AM
Joined Dec 2009
362 Posts
I do not know the Atmel plushes, whether they have the delay in turning on the nfets or not. Also not sure what pwm frequency the SimonK runs at, but this fixed delay has an effect that is proportional to the pwm frequency. So, running at lower pwm frequency makes the step smaller.

Also, I believe the SimonK code is more optimized for timing, and it does not have all the pwm options to deal with. I'll see what I can do to optimize the code, but the 2-2.5us delay in the plushes can not be removed
Old Aug 04, 2012, 03:52 AM
Joined Apr 2012
68 Posts
sskaug - That new firmware has made a huge difference. The motors start much better now which is awesome. I still have a small problem but it is something I can get around.

When I try to take off the props just don't spin enough. I can slowly throttle up to full throttle and at best the yaw motor (Tri) will tip the tri forward and it ends up upside down - ie it flips over the front.

If I pick up the Tri and throttle up and then tilt it in a number of directions so that the Flight Controller tries to counteract the tilt, then the motors will start spinning correctly. I then leave a little bit of throttle so that the props don't start and put it down and then take off fine. once flying it is perfect - couldn't be happier with the results - its 500% better than before. I will try and get a video for you tomorrow if you need it.

Brenden

P.S. - Where is a donate button???
Old Aug 04, 2012, 04:05 AM
Joined Dec 2009
362 Posts
Really happy that it works now, thanks for the info! Handling the plush was more trouble than I expected.
Not sure I understand your startup problems, is it not possible to let the motors spin up on the ground and then take off? You could tune the startup power parameter for a better start.

P.S. No need to consider donation, I do this for fun, and if I hear of happy users, I'm happy
Old Aug 04, 2012, 07:10 AM
Joined Apr 2012
68 Posts
Ok. I'll play with the startup power to see what happens and take a video tomorrow to show you.

Essentially I don't have enough power to take off until I move the whole tricopter vigorously. Its sort of like the throttle needs calibrating.
Old Aug 04, 2012, 07:18 AM
Emress
Joined Nov 2011
1,934 Posts
Schultz, since the endpoint is 1850 on this firmware that is the new max throttle.

Hey sskaug, any thoughts of adding a adjustable throttle range? Maybe not even on startup like stock firmware but in the blhelitool GUI or something? Would be very nice for multirotor purposes.
Old Aug 05, 2012, 09:55 AM
Joined Dec 2009
362 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbow2 View Post
Schultz, since the endpoint is 1850 on this firmware that is the new max throttle.

Hey sskaug, any thoughts of adding a adjustable throttle range? Maybe not even on startup like stock firmware but in the blhelitool GUI or something? Would be very nice for multirotor purposes.
I will put throttle range adjustment on the todo list
Old Aug 05, 2012, 09:56 AM
Emress
Joined Nov 2011
1,934 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskaug View Post
I will put throttle range adjustment on the todo list
thanks! that will really help this firmware work on FCs that cant change the THR range.
Old Aug 05, 2012, 10:48 AM
OlliW
Joined Sep 2009
1,455 Posts
I am actually always surprised that the FC firmwares (or the developpers ?) can't do that... I mean, they have time and space for everything cool like 24000DOF, Ultra-Kalman, Hyper-Flightpathcontrol... but they can't do something as simple as getting their output ranges for their motors/servos adjustable... what's weired considering that this appears to be a permanent source of issues in the multicopter world...

OlliW is online now Find More Posts by OlliW