HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 19, 2013, 02:34 AM
:)
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Sep 2012
3,386 Posts
Well Rob, you certainly helped me out even though you're just starting

I'm a beginner myself and, thanks to the great help of those on this thread, started with BLHeli too. I also don't know SimonK, that's why I was hoping for the Silabs.

Eventually I wanted to learn SimonK. Maybe these ESCs have made that decision for me now

I'll report back when I hear from Hobbywing. Apparently Hobbywing have a special 'anti-counterfeit' label on all their packages. Mine didn't have the label so that may be telling?

Cheers.
Soma is offline Find More Posts by Soma
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 20, 2013, 06:07 AM
Joined Dec 2009
378 Posts
Hi!

Rev9.4 is now posted on github: https://github.com/bitdump/BLHeli
The code timing has been optimized in order to be capable of running at high rpms.
It now runs smoothly up to 200000 electrical rpms.

Thanks,
Steffen
sskaug is online now Find More Posts by sskaug
Old Jan 20, 2013, 06:45 AM
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Sep 2012
3,386 Posts
Thanks very much Steffen!

Did you get it to run smoothly on the Skywalker 20A?

I will test it on one of my Silabs 20A Skywalker when I get the chance. My Quattro arrived today so I'm keen to see how it goes.

Also I just found a post regarding Atmel Skywalkers from October...
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=6012

Still waiting to hear from Hobbywing. Does anyone know any info on the Atmel version? Has anyone received a Silabs Skywalker lately? That may point to the Atmels being fakes???

Cheers.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 20, 2013, 06:51 AM
Stop me before I build again!
United States, NY, Albany
Joined Sep 2012
1,320 Posts
Woot, now I can start working on the ESCs for my micro octo running 3s on 2900kv :-)
brontide is offline Find More Posts by brontide
Old Jan 20, 2013, 03:09 PM
Joined Jul 2012
34 Posts
Doesn't work with skywalker 20A.
I flashed my quad and 3 esc seem to work and one intermittent stops. Quad unflyable now. I reflashed the "faulty" (worked before) a few times with verify - no help. All values are stock, except the throttlerange was set to 1996 on the high side.
Anyone any ideas?

Greetings
Kraut Rob
Crashpilot1000 is offline Find More Posts by Crashpilot1000
Old Jan 20, 2013, 03:48 PM
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Sep 2012
3,386 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashpilot1000 View Post
doesn't work with skywalker 20a.
I flashed my quad and 3 esc seem to work and one intermittent stops. Quad unflyable now. I reflashed the "faulty" (worked before) a few times with verify - no help. All values are stock, except the throttlerange was set to 1996 on the high side.
Anyone any ideas?

Greetings
kraut rob
Bugger!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 20, 2013, 05:26 PM
Joined Jul 2012
34 Posts
I wonder why 3 out of 4 esc seem to work. The PCB and parts look identical. I set my apm to 400Hz PWM (instead of 490Hz) - problem persists.
Greetings
Kraut Rob
Old Jan 20, 2013, 10:09 PM
OlliW
Joined Sep 2009
1,533 Posts
maybe, only of course if Steffen likes, you could send your dude to him for investigation...

I wouldn't be surprised to learn that there are significant variances in the properties, in particular with these cheap escs, and Steffen can of course adjust BLHeli only based on his one or few items he has at hand... this could explain why it's one out of four and why it did work with the original firmware (the manufacturer will have coped for the variances, which are known to them).

Considering the unavoidable material variances, I find it actually amazing how often BLHeli just works...
OlliW is offline Find More Posts by OlliW
Old Jan 21, 2013, 04:28 AM
Joined Jul 2012
34 Posts
Hi!
Thank you very much for your concern. I was very upset yesterday.
Today i found out that this issue occured with the other esc as well but to smaller extend. I flashed the trouble - master esc with different versions of the skywalker20a files, knowing that they are not suitable for multirotoruse - so i handtested them all. The SKYWALKER_20A_MAIN_REV9_4.HEX seems to solve the problem (on stock, with govenor etc on). Than I turned motor PWM from low to high and BAM the problem was there! So i will reflash that esc with SKYWALKER_20A_MULTI_REV9_4.HEX, leave everything at default except: Throttle max 1996 and motor PWM to low. My APM is still set to 400Hz PWM output.
I will report back
Cheers
Kraut Rob
Old Jan 21, 2013, 04:56 AM
Joined Jul 2012
34 Posts
Works now

Hi!
It works now with pwm low! I am back in the air!
I did screenshots of the current settings.
EDIT: Set APM back to 490Hz PWM - still works
Greetings

Kraut Rob
Last edited by Crashpilot1000; Jan 21, 2013 at 05:19 AM.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 06:27 AM
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Sep 2012
3,386 Posts
Good news Rob!

Fingers crossed this has it sorted.

Keep us posted mate
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 21, 2013, 07:09 AM
Portugal, Lisbon, Sintra
Joined Jul 2011
502 Posts
Thank you for all effort with BLHELI.

I love it!

This video from warm summer was flown with scratch built Tricopter with plush 30A ESCs with BLHeli and DT750 motors

No more Winter FPV... remembering Summer - Flown with Dragon Link (0 min 38 sec)
flyboygaac is offline Find More Posts by flyboygaac
Old Jan 21, 2013, 08:02 AM
Joined Jul 2012
34 Posts
OMG it happened again, but only slightly this time.
Now i flashed SKYWALKER_20A_MAIN_REV9_4.HEX. Everything stock except: gov. OFF, voltage protection OFF. And maxthr 1996.
I hovered a complete lipo without glitches - i hope i got it now once and for all.
Attached settings as pictures.
@flyboygaac: Very nice video! I hope my quad will do the same in freeflight now

@sskaug @OlliW: Thank you very much for your effort and time you stick into this project. I know my problem is pain in the a... but you can not support all the different escs out there and their small variations.

Cheers
Kraut Rob
EDIT:
I had a chance to give it a one lipo - spin outside. It flies better than before (rate_p increased!) and no glitches at all. First time throttle seems to be problematic for multirotors with this "main" FW. So let the motors run, stop them and then start.
Last edited by Crashpilot1000; Jan 21, 2013 at 08:26 AM.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 10:52 AM
Joined Dec 2009
378 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashpilot1000 View Post
OMG it happened again, but only slightly this time.
Now i flashed SKYWALKER_20A_MAIN_REV9_4.HEX. Everything stock except: gov. OFF, voltage protection OFF. And maxthr 1996.
I hovered a complete lipo without glitches - i hope i got it now once and for all.
Attached settings as pictures.
@flyboygaac: Very nice video! I hope my quad will do the same in freeflight now

@sskaug @OlliW: Thank you very much for your effort and time you stick into this project. I know my problem is pain in the a... but you can not support all the different escs out there and their small variations.

Cheers
Kraut Rob
EDIT:
I had a chance to give it a one lipo - spin outside. It flies better than before (rate_p increased!) and no glitches at all. First time throttle seems to be problematic for multirotors with this "main" FW. So let the motors run, stop them and then start.
Hi Rob

Glad you are in the air now
But there is something fishy going on that I would like to investigate. If you like, I will be happy to buy one of your quattro's to look at. While there is some variation in ESCs, I think there is even larger variation among motors. What motors do you use? Have you tried swapping motors and ESC channels to see whether the problem follows a specific channel on the quattro, or if it follows a motor?

Thanks,
Steffen

@flyboygaac, glad to see that your tri now flies well. And good to see some summer amidst all the white here these days
sskaug is online now Find More Posts by sskaug
Last edited by sskaug; Jan 21, 2013 at 11:09 AM.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 11:31 AM
Joined Jul 2012
34 Posts
@sskaug:
"But there is something fishy going on ..."
I think the same.
My setup: apm2.0, no quattro just 4 single skywalker 20A ESC, Motors: Robbe roxxy 2827-26 with APC SF 10x4.7.
Everything is soldered - so easy swapping the esc between motors is not possible. These motors are not very old and experienced no serious crash - not even a broken prop . They turn easily. Before mounting them i checked them for a short between phase and housing ( i always do that after some bad experience with some emax models)

I am just happy the thing flies again and that i could turn up the rate_P by 40%.

Greets
Kraut Rob