HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 15, 2012, 02:06 PM
Emress
United States, SD, Rapid City
Joined Nov 2011
1,936 Posts
interesting find. seems that the blheli is more picky on motors. maybe you just needed to reduce some settings in the config? but you probably dont want to risk another :P
sirbow2 is offline Find More Posts by sirbow2
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 15, 2012, 02:16 PM
a little boy's dream come true
France, Corse, Santo-Pietro-di-Tenda
Joined May 2009
3,366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskaug View Post
Copterfilms has used the Plush 40A very successfully. And the AE45 and Plush 40 are almost the same esc.
thanks sskaug
bob.titus is offline Find More Posts by bob.titus
Old Dec 15, 2012, 07:10 PM
OlliW
Joined Sep 2009
1,983 Posts
owSilProg v0.09/BLHeliTool v0.08

here it comes, a further new feature for convenniently flashing Silabs ESCs with sskaug's BLHeli frimware,

the multiple ESC capability of owSilProg/BLHeliTool

I am sure you were not waiting for it, but I am also sure that once you've used it you wouldn't want to miss it .

I have extended owSilProg to enable it to handle up to 8 (eight!) ESCs with one programmer. That is, an Arduino loaded with the novel owSilProg fimrware v0.09 basically provides 8 programmers to you. This allows convennient functions, especially for multicopter uses, there all 2,3,4,6 or 8 ESCs (for bi-, tri-, quadro-, hexa-, and octo-copters) should be loaded with the same firmware, and all adjustments of any parameter have to be repeated for each ESC. Have you ever found it anyoing that you have to do this for every ESC individually? Well, that's exactly what the multiple ESC function is for! You do all actions for one ESC (which I call the master), and owSilProg/BLHeliTool will clone its settings to all the other ESCs.

In detail, we talk about the four functions

- flash the BLHeli firmware
- verify the loaded firmware
- read the BLHeli parameters
- write the BLHeli parameters

If you select one of the multicopter "Multiple ESC Mode" settings in the novel BLHeliTool v0.08, i.e., either Bi, Tri, Quad, Hexa, or Octo Copter, owSilProg/BLHeliTool will do the following for you

flash the BLHeli firmware:
the selected firmware will be flashed to all 2,3,4,6 or 8 ESCs with one hit of the Flash button (be patient, this can take some time)

verify the loaded firmware:
the firmware loaded into all 2,3,4,6 or 8 ESCs will be checked with one hit of the Verify button (be patient, this can take some time)

read the BLHeli parameters:
the parameters of (only!) the master ESC will be read

write the BLHeli parameters:
the parameters will be written to all 2,3,4,6 or 8 ESCs with one hit of the Write button
additionally the name field will be appended by a -ESCnr (i.e. -1, -2, -3,....) such that you always can identify the ESC

The port assigment on the Arduino is as follows

D12 (=Miso=PB4) -> C2D
D11 (=Mosi=PB3) -> C2CK for ESC #1 or the master ESC
D10 (=PB2) -> C2CK for ESC #2
D9 (=PB1) -> C2CK for ESC #3
D8 (=PB0) -> C2CK for ESC #4
A2 (=PC2) -> C2CK for ESC #5
A3 (=PC3) -> C2CK for ESC #6
A4 (=PC4) -> C2CK for ESC #7
A5 (=PC5) -> C2CK for ESC #8

Every ESC needs to be connected to a GND, C2CK, and C2D.
The GND you should not need since all your ESC should be connected to a common power source/lipo anyhow.
The C2D is wired to all ESCs, that all ESC's C2D ppoints are connected to each other and the Arduino port D12.
The C2CK's of each ESC has however to be connected to an individual C2CK pin.
The good thing with the owSilProg-Arduino-Programmer is that it allows for quite long cables (40 cm should be no problem), so that you can easily build a harness which allows you to connect all your ESC at one time to the owSilProg-programmer.

You'll find the firmware on the project web page www.olliw.eu/2012/owsilprog/#firmware

It provides some further improvements in that it is more robust towards error conditions and is about a factor of two faster. Please note that, although I have tested and used it quite a bit, it is still assigned as beta. Hopefully better descriptions will appear ASAP on my project web page.

Check it out,
Olli

PS: the photo shows my application to a double brushless conversion (two ESCs) of a mCPX heli... in this context here a bicopter... LOL
OlliW is offline Find More Posts by OlliW
Last edited by OlliW; Dec 15, 2012 at 07:28 PM.
Old Dec 15, 2012, 07:22 PM
a little boy's dream come true
France, Corse, Santo-Pietro-di-Tenda
Joined May 2009
3,366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlliW View Post
here it comes, a further new feature for convenniently flashing Silabs ESCs with sskaug's BLHeli frimware,

I am sure you were not waiting for it, but I am also sure that once you've used it you wouldn't want to miss it . ...
well... funny enough, I was going to ask this question but didn't dare to
My next question was : how to program all escs at once, would it be possible?

Edit : I read in diagonal... yes, it does it!!!

Well done Olli!
Bob
bob.titus is offline Find More Posts by bob.titus
Last edited by bob.titus; Dec 15, 2012 at 07:31 PM.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 04:49 PM
Trex 450 SE V2, Blade 120 SR
Joined Jan 2011
19 Posts
Hi guys. Can I ask a trouble shooting question in this thread? ie. is it the appropriate place to ask?
lockweeze is offline Find More Posts by lockweeze
Old Dec 16, 2012, 06:49 PM
Emress
United States, SD, Rapid City
Joined Nov 2011
1,936 Posts
yep.
sirbow2 is offline Find More Posts by sirbow2
Old Dec 16, 2012, 08:11 PM
Joined Jan 2011
19 Posts
Good deal. I appreciate any help you guys can offer for my problem. I have 3 ae30a esc's that I had a friend flash with silabs for my tricopter. They all worked initially I believe but 1 will not arm or go into programming mode.

I didn't read the manual like I should have before using them and I'm not sure if I changed something when I accidentally went into programming mode but one of the esc's only gives the initial 3 beeps when it is plugged into a battery. It never beeps again to give me the option to go into normal operation mode or into programming mode.

I tried moving my trim up and down before powering on the esc thinking that the esc may not be registering Zero throttle but have had no luck so far.

Could I have changed something while in programming mode? I was only in it for a few seconds :/

And lastly, is there a hard reset option? I had someone flash them for me so I don't have any of the flashing hardware.

Thanks again for any help.

Nick
Old Dec 16, 2012, 08:20 PM
Stop me before I build again!
United States, NY, Albany
Joined Sep 2012
1,320 Posts
Sounds like the signal wire is kaput. Can you try a continuity check on the wire.
brontide is offline Find More Posts by brontide
Old Dec 16, 2012, 08:38 PM
Joined Jan 2011
19 Posts
Ah good thinking! I am getting ready for work now but I will check what
when I get home in the morning. I know I can check the voltage but I'm not sure I can do a continuity check :/ how would I go about that?
Old Dec 16, 2012, 09:03 PM
Stop me before I build again!
United States, NY, Albany
Joined Sep 2012
1,320 Posts
There is probably a solder joint right on the edge of the ESC under the heat shrink.
brontide is offline Find More Posts by brontide
Old Dec 17, 2012, 05:53 PM
Joined Jan 2011
19 Posts
Hey brontide I appreciate your input very much! I checked the signal wore and sure enough, the solder had broken the wire! Anyway Ickes it this morning for my first flight and it was awesome!
Old Dec 18, 2012, 10:12 PM
:)
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Sep 2012
3,715 Posts
Quote:

I am sure you were not waiting for it, but I am also sure that once you've used it you wouldn't want to miss it .

I have extended owSilProg to enable it to handle up to 8 (eight!) ESCs with one programmer. That is, an Arduino loaded with the novel owSilProg fimrware v0.09 basically provides 8 programmers to you. This allows convennient functions, especially for multicopter uses, there all 2,3,4,6 or 8 ESCs (for bi-, tri-, quadro-, hexa-, and octo-copters) should be loaded with the same firmware, and all adjustments of any parameter have to be repeated for each ESC. Have you ever found it anyoing that you have to do this for every ESC individually? Well, that's exactly what the multiple ESC function is for! You do all actions for one ESC (which I call the master), and owSilProg/BLHeliTool will clone its settings to all the other ESCs.

In detail, we talk about the four functions

- flash the BLHeli firmware
- verify the loaded firmware
- read the BLHeli parameters
- write the BLHeli parameters

If you select one of the multicopter "Multiple ESC Mode" settings in the novel BLHeliTool v0.08, i.e., either Bi, Tri, Quad, Hexa, or Octo Copter, owSilProg/BLHeliTool will do the following for you

flash the BLHeli firmware:
the selected firmware will be flashed to all 2,3,4,6 or 8 ESCs with one hit of the Flash button (be patient, this can take some time)

verify the loaded firmware:
the firmware loaded into all 2,3,4,6 or 8 ESCs will be checked with one hit of the Verify button (be patient, this can take some time)

read the BLHeli parameters:
the parameters of (only!) the master ESC will be read

write the BLHeli parameters:
the parameters will be written to all 2,3,4,6 or 8 ESCs with one hit of the Write button
additionally the name field will be appended by a -ESCnr (i.e. -1, -2, -3,....) such that you always can identify the ESC

The port assigment on the Arduino is as follows

D12 (=Miso=PB4) -> C2D
D11 (=Mosi=PB3) -> C2CK for ESC #1 or the master ESC
D10 (=PB2) -> C2CK for ESC #2
D9 (=PB1) -> C2CK for ESC #3
D8 (=PB0) -> C2CK for ESC #4
A2 (=PC2) -> C2CK for ESC #5
A3 (=PC3) -> C2CK for ESC #6
A4 (=PC4) -> C2CK for ESC #7
A5 (=PC5) -> C2CK for ESC #8

Every ESC needs to be connected to a GND, C2CK, and C2D.
The GND you should not need since all your ESC should be connected to a common power source/lipo anyhow.
The C2D is wired to all ESCs, that all ESC's C2D ppoints are connected to each other and the Arduino port D12.
The C2CK's of each ESC has however to be connected to an individual C2CK pin.
The good thing with the owSilProg-Arduino-Programmer is that it allows for quite long cables (40 cm should be no problem), so that you can easily build a harness which allows you to connect all your ESC at one time to the owSilProg-programmer.

You'll find the firmware on the project web page www.olliw.eu/2012/owsilprog/#firmware

It provides some further improvements in that it is more robust towards error conditions and is about a factor of two faster. Please note that, although I have tested and used it quite a bit, it is still assigned as beta. Hopefully better descriptions will appear ASAP on my project web page.

Check it out,
Olli

PS: the photo shows my application to a double brushless conversion (two ESCs) of a mCPX heli... in this context here a bicopter... LOL

AWESOME!!!

Thanks Olli!
Soma is offline Find More Posts by Soma
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 19, 2012, 01:41 PM
Trier, Germany
Joined Aug 2007
522 Posts
Hi Olliw,

I just tried to flash my HobbyWing Skywalker Quattro 4x ESC with the latest 9.3 BlHeli firmware and an Arduino Flasher.
After having problem flashing them all at once with the new feature, i tried soldering only one programming wire by the time and flashing them on after on, all as single ESC no 1.

ESC 1 and 4 on the 4xESC were flashed without problems, but ESC 2 and 3 keep producing the same "Device erase Failed" over and over.

r...rok
d...dok0A -> Device ID 0A F33X
i...iok
e... Device erase Failed

Any Idea if there is the possibility to fix this? Right now i have one 4x ESC with BlHeli on two ESCs and the original Firmware on the other two....

Greets
Johannes
(Jo)Hannes is offline Find More Posts by (Jo)Hannes
Old Dec 19, 2012, 05:21 PM
OlliW
Joined Sep 2009
1,983 Posts
Hey Johannes,

sad to hear that the flashing doesn't work out too well for you

Quote:
After having problem flashing them all at once with the new feature
could this maybe be a result of the other, major problem that ESCs 2 and 3 don't flash? I mean, if you connect the four ESCs to wires #1,#2,#3,#4, you can address them individually by choosing "single ESC no. 1", "single ESC no. 2", etc... This at least should work exactly as if you hardware-wise attach each ESC to line #1 (i.e. 1 and 4 should flash, 2 and 3 shoudl not)... maybe you could try that (although this wouldn't solve your major problem)

Quote:
ESC 1 and 4 on the 4xESC were flashed without problems, but ESC 2 and 3 keep producing the same "Device erase Failed" over and over
that's a bit strange, since from the success with ESC 1 and 4 one would conclude that your setup does indeed work correctly... not sure if anyone reported that ESC 2 and 3 are, in whatever sense, different from 1 and 4. I find this confusing and am a bit at a loss here.

The only thing which comes to my mind is that maybe you could try the previous owSilProg version v0.08 (you should not need to use the old BLHeliTool version, just the old owSilProg firmware which you put on the Arduino). The new version has a timeout, which the old one didn't had. Maybe I was a bit too harsh on the timeout setting... could be at least worth a try.

Olli
OlliW is offline Find More Posts by OlliW
Old Dec 20, 2012, 02:47 AM
Trier, Germany
Joined Aug 2007
522 Posts
Quote:
Hey Johannes,
sad to hear that the flashing doesn't work out too well for you

could this maybe be a result of the other, major problem that ESCs 2 and 3 don't flash? I mean, if you connect the four ESCs to wires #1,#2,#3,#4, you can address them individually by choosing "single ESC no. 1", "single ESC no. 2", etc... This at least should work exactly as if you hardware-wise attach each ESC to line #1 (i.e. 1 and 4 should flash, 2 and 3 shoudl not)... maybe you could try that (although this wouldn't solve your major problem)

that's a bit strange, since from the success with ESC 1 and 4 one would conclude that your setup does indeed work correctly... not sure if anyone reported that ESC 2 and 3 are, in whatever sense, different from 1 and 4. I find this confusing and am a bit at a loss here.

The only thing which comes to my mind is that maybe you could try the previous owSilProg version v0.08 (you should not need to use the old BLHeliTool version, just the old owSilProg firmware which you put on the Arduino). The new version has a timeout, which the old one didn't had. Maybe I was a bit too harsh on the timeout setting... could be at least worth a try.
Olli
Thanks Olli, well, there is allways some risk of trashing your devices when flashing it - i was aware of that ;_)

I allready tried programming them individually one by one with the single esc 1-4 option, same result for 2 and 3. Then i thought maybe the programming lines 2 and 3 have a problem, so i unsoldered all cables and tried one at a time all with line 1 - same result, connection is there, but e command fails.
I allthough used the terminal program included in your package and sent different combinations of r d i and e, everything worked except e, this allways gives an error on the 2 ESCs. resettet the ESC and progger multiple times, but no success.

I will try the old one this evening, maybe this works better.

btw. is there a way to flash the old, original firmware back to the 2 working ESCs, so that i have all on the same firmware at least?
(Jo)Hannes is offline Find More Posts by (Jo)Hannes