Mark Harrison
USA, CA, Piedmont
Joined Jun 2010
1,967 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jürgen Be View Post
Slooooooooowly

very nice vid and build.
I`m pleased to see Christians Slowly V2 on rcgroups.
I´ve drawn the plans for him from his paper templates. The free plans can be downloaded from VTH / Foamie, a German magacine, just scroll to......

http://www.vth.de/zeitschriften/foam...downloads.html
Hi Jürgen, thanks for drawing up these plans!
Here's a dumb question: I'm looking at the file:

http://www.vth.de/fileadmin/user/Zei.../Schwimmer.pdf

but I only see the main body, not the wings.
Can you tell me which file has the wings?
marhar is offline Find More Posts by marhar
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 12, 2012, 12:52 PM
low tech high tech
Southern Vermont
Joined Feb 2007
2,778 Posts
marhar, that's the plan for the floats, not the fuselage.

The plans for "Slowly" are here:

Full Size sheet:

http://www.vth.de/fileadmin/user/Zei...%20V2%20A0.pdf

Tiled to A4 size:

http://www.vth.de/fileadmin/user/Zei...teilt%20A4.pdf
vtdiy is offline Find More Posts by vtdiy
Old Jul 12, 2012, 12:57 PM
near Stuttgart, Germany
Joined Oct 2008
319 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtdiy View Post
marhar, that's the plan for the floats, not the fuselage.

The plans for "Slowly" are here:

Full Size sheet:

http://www.vth.de/fileadmin/user/Zei...%20V2%20A0.pdf

Tiled to A4 size:

http://www.vth.de/fileadmin/user/Zei...teilt%20A4.pdf

Thanks for posting this quick reply

Jürgen
Jürgen Be is offline Find More Posts by Jürgen Be
Old Jul 12, 2012, 01:14 PM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jun 2009
3,231 Posts
It seams Gary has more builders jumping on board, nice to see more building the slowly . I got all my templets cut out and hacked off a couple pieces of fanfold ,iam going to cut out two of them so i wish i would not done it the first time. . lol joe
cracksmeup is offline Find More Posts by cracksmeup
Old Jul 12, 2012, 09:37 PM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Oct 2011
487 Posts
OK....Finally a flight!! Was breezy with stiff wind blowing in and out but she survived. What the Heck! I can't wait to fly her!!! If it wasn't windy I'm sure I would have been able to fly slower. But had to hit the wind, turn into it and back again...so flight is boring as it's circles circles...minor hair raising moments and a landing which isn't the best considered the cross wind..lol!

Set up was with the HXT 24g 1300kv-Hobbywing 10A esc-GWS8040-x2 5g HXT servos and a 2s 850mah Lipo.

Things I noticed where how effective the polyhedral is into the wind. You can tell she's keeping herself flat when pointed into the wind. Control surfaces were enough for her size and I had control even at full rates with no expo. Plenty of power to whip her around and point her back into the wind. Those wings will then do it's work and she stays level....perfect! AUW with the lipo ended up at 190g...could be lighter through the build process but Im good with it. She is light...so much that wind will drift her away! Even laying her upside down on the ground...she gets blown away....HAHA! But point her into the wind, throttle back a little and hold some up elevator...she stays level and true...nice!!

Here's the maiden vid...sorry for quality and skies. It rained last nigh and it's hazy and blurry all around. The main field was too wet so had to do with this spot in front of the high rise apartments. But at least the first flight is in. Now it's tweaks, finish her off and another flight!

Overall....Great design, stable and a wing that works, easy to control (wind pending..lol) and a joy for touch and go's! I guess the original 35" ws in depron would give her that needed size and weight for little windy days...but my 24"ws is a keeper! Till the next flight vid....

Will compile the remaining pics and post.

@GG:
I'll post up the tail wheel soon. In the vid...the little lock nut came loose so flew her with the wire behind..HAHA!

cheers
Tim

Slowly v2-EPP-24"ws-Maiden on a Breezy Morning! (5 min 10 sec)
timatworksg is offline Find More Posts by timatworksg
Old Jul 12, 2012, 09:43 PM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Oct 2011
487 Posts
On a side note....I balanced her with COG 1/3 of the root chord. But found that with the lipo in the belly of the cockpit,...a little forward or backward, as long as it's in there, had little change in balance. She seems to be balanced with electronics placed as per original plans and designs.
I then just trim during flight to suite the wind. Nice.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 12:15 AM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Oct 2011
487 Posts
Here are some images with indications as to where the parts should go.

- Jurgen - if I made any mistake, please forgive me and correct where needed. This was based on what I saw on rcline forums and my own trial and error.

Do note, that some bits were added by me during my build and are not on the plans. Everything on the original plans are shown on these images apart from the Stabs and wing...you would know which those are right?

Side Notes:
The part "Schablone / V-Form oben anlegen" is a template to use for checking the angle of the dihedral wing ends when gluing them to the main wing section. Use depron or something stiff for that. I like using depron and covering it in packing tape. That way it won't get itself stuck when gluing such joints.

After building up the Motor Hood with the 2 semi circles, motor hood top piece which is curved over the semi circles and a base piece, you would need to cut out your motor shape so that the whole assembly fits over and sits nicely. Glue or use magnets. Do note...if your glueing, mount your motor and wires through into the fuse first. Cost it's gonna be hard to get in once the hood is on!

Lastly,..I built my 24" EPP version with some minor changes with several pieces not used. So if its not indicated or you don't see such a piece...it aint there! LOL

Hope the pics and labels help. Sorry of they are not that fantastic but hope they at least serve some indication and guide if one wishes to build it. And nope,...I don't speak German...just doing my best at being one for a few minutes...
Last edited by timatworksg; Jul 13, 2012 at 12:34 AM.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 12:23 AM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Oct 2011
487 Posts
@ggrimley:

Here are the pics of how I did my Tail wheel. Long piece of stiff wire bent as shown. I used a thin drinking straw and inserted that onto the wire (white sleeve thing-a-ma-jig u see there). The Plywood has a hole drilled through to fit the wire and it will be epoxied to the rear end TE of the fuse.

The second pic shows how I basically mounted and glued it on! The long end of the wire goes in between the elevator flap and the stab and epoxied to the hinged surface of the rudder. The ply is then epoxied to the bottom and for insurance some tape. (Tip: smear some UHU Por on the foam first before sticking the tape if using EPP. works with Velcro on EPP too!)

wheel and collar were from my scraps bin! But should be easy to fabricate something I'm sure.

Only thing to do there after is running test to see if the plane tracks straight. Some bending will be needed to trim her out so she runs straight.
Not the best looking but it works!
Old Jul 13, 2012, 12:34 AM
Mark Harrison
USA, CA, Piedmont
Joined Jun 2010
1,967 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jürgen Be View Post
Thanks for posting this quick reply

Jürgen
Yes, much appreciated!
marhar is offline Find More Posts by marhar
Old Jul 13, 2012, 04:39 AM
near Stuttgart, Germany
Joined Oct 2008
319 Posts
Tim,

congrats to your flight and great documentation of the flight caracteristics.

There is another part on the plans
"Tragfläche Verstärkung unten Mitte ( Rumpfauflage)"
this is to be glued to the two ribs in the mid of the wing, to give additional strength. You glued the wing to the fus, in this case this part is not really needed.

Jürgen
Old Jul 13, 2012, 04:45 AM
near Stuttgart, Germany
Joined Oct 2008
319 Posts
Sorry, just notced that you decribed the part on your photo

Here is another PDF with updated 5-hole wheels and splashboard.

Jürgen
Old Jul 13, 2012, 06:53 AM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Oct 2011
487 Posts
Thank you Jürgen Be! Much appreciated. Thanks to you really for a nice plan to work with...and even tho I scaled it down it all fit very well.

I flew her again just now (sorry no vid....charging the batteries) and realized that I was a little askew with the wing....a very minimal slight leftwards. Which isn't that bad considering I have an Auto left tun plane and all i need to concentrate on is elevator and throttle,...lol! It's like having a Control Line plane with no lines!!

I like the new wheels! In fact I took the ones on mine out and remade new wheels. Tho taking off is so quick there's hardly a runoff needed. And I noticed when landing, she will plop down and then roll forward just a little and stop! Guess with foam wheels it's like a brake system? LOL!

Will grab more vids soon. Decorating her up and will probably add more colors here and there! It looks really nostalgic and vintage which is really sweet.
I would really suggest to those building her....take your time and get her built straight and balanced. Spend time decorating her and painting. She looks nice even when not flying. Guessed thats why I built her so quick....she has appeal!

Cheers
Tim
Old Jul 13, 2012, 08:21 AM
Joined Jun 2009
3,231 Posts
Very nice flight in the wind Tim,there is a old saying around chicago ( real men fly in the wind ) lol It looked like to had plenty of power and control even in tho it seemed real windy . Thanks also for posting the translated parts for the new builders that stumble across Gary's thread . Jurgen i know you posted thos nice wheel pants and wheels just for me ,lol could have not timed it any better. Thanks jurgen ! I have to just cut my wing and new wheels out now and it's time to start gluing.
Last edited by cracksmeup; Jul 13, 2012 at 08:55 AM.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 11:09 AM
ExPat
Spain, Murcia, Mazarrón
Joined Apr 2010
1,595 Posts
OK Guys, I've resisted long enough, I've just got to build a "Slowly" ..
I made a start this afternoon, although I haven't got very far yet. Here's a couple of pictures of what I've done so far.
Andy
Aero Andy is offline Find More Posts by Aero Andy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Eagle
Old Jul 13, 2012, 11:19 AM
Joined Jun 2009
3,231 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aero Andy View Post
OK Guys, I've resisted long enough, I've just got to build a "Slowly" ..
I made a start this afternoon, although I haven't got very far yet. Here's a couple of pictures of what I've done so far.
Andy
Looks good Andy, i knew you would give in sooner or later. BTW i see you are a warbird guy also. joe