SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 10, 2012, 09:20 PM
United States, SD, Rapid City
Joined Dec 2011
429 Posts
Need a little help

Things seem to fit best if the bottom of the fuselage is attached to the bottom of the side pieces, rather than in between them. Is this a correct assumption And second, I have no clue as to where the Cockpit Armaturen Brett is suppose to go... In the last build I stuck it behind the cockpit, but I know that is not correct... I think I have attached a couple of pictures to clarify my questions
ggrimley is offline Find More Posts by ggrimley
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 10, 2012, 09:55 PM
Joined Dec 2011
429 Posts
Glad to see you here Andy

Hey Andy.. Welcome aboard.. You will love this plane.. I think it is the most fun one I have ever flown... I take it out twice a day (wind permitting) am practicing landings... want to keep electronics dry when I finish #2 on pontoons. One of my magnum reloaded s (#3) has been wet four or five times... Petty soon I will bury the ESC in a blob of silicone and the just accept that every other time out it will get wet one way or another.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 10:31 PM
Joined Dec 2011
429 Posts
A helpful hand

When the wife is not available, or more often unwilling, to hold things together while the glue is drying, or in place so it is comfortable to work with, this little swivel head vice is just the ticket.. Also the masking tape works well with the skinned $ Tree foam.

Looks like there will be plenty of strength and rigidity in the skinned foam for everything, including the wings. With the paper off, the foam runs just a little over 4mm thick, so most parts fit better than with the FFF which is about 6.

I doubled the "Kabinenspunt" and covered both sides of one part with packing tape. This will provide a windshield, as the flight crew in #1 complained a lot about too much wind... I cut out the middle opening to thread the wires through.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 12:06 AM
Joined Dec 2011
429 Posts
Here is some more video of my landing practice... Improving... but a long way to go.. more stick time needed.. definitely

More Landing practice with Slowly (6 min 16 sec)
Old Jul 11, 2012, 12:34 AM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Oct 2011
505 Posts
Hi ggrimley! No rush to build...it is Slowly after all...lol! Great flying from the vids! Your 'slowly' getting your landings in!!

as for 'Cockpit Armaturen Brett ' it's a piece thats slants inwards from the 'Kabinenspant' when you glue them to one half of the fuse. When you glue the piece with 3 windows...the 'Cockpit Armaturen Brett ' starts from the bottom sill of the cockpit window and slants down along the side window of the fuse. So it's pointing down diagonally from the 3 window piece down along the side window. Like a stiffener behind 'Kabinenspant'. In a way, that piece is glued so it looks like a dashboard in the cockpit.

I didn't use that in my EPP build as the front seemed kinda strong as it is. Besides, its a 2 fuse halves build and as long as you have the perimeter covered, in between can be customised to suite based on weight and how much stiffening it needs. If you see my EPP version I customised a piece to add before the back fuse section instead.

After watching all the vids..I am so awaiting to maiden mine!! Wheels are on as well as some pants...just added the servos and gonna make a Lipo tray then fasten Rx and Esc. Then it's controls and plug it all up!! Without Rx, ESC, prop and Lipo...she now weighs in at 120g! Looking good for a below 200g 24" flyer!

I wish I could go sparless...but winds here are not gentle nor do they blow constantly. Sudden gusts can appear and catch you off guard...so sometimes evasive action is needed...hence the stiffening! No doubt, flex will make her go really slow...but I have no indoor venue nor calm flying wind.

So...till next update...she's getting there!

Ps: I like the Magnum! Then I went through more builds and saw tons more great planes..and RET!! WOW! I like the Pinkus too! Sigh...so many planes, so little time/space/foam/glue/CF/etc etc.
timatworksg is offline Find More Posts by timatworksg
Last edited by timatworksg; Jul 11, 2012 at 02:24 AM.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 02:01 AM
ExPat
Spain, Murcia, Mazarrón
Joined Apr 2010
1,600 Posts
Hi Gary

Nice video, looks like the landings are coming along well. Also looks like a great place to fly. I'm jealous cause it's dry and arid here, no grass at all, unless I use the golf course, and that could cause a bit of a riot with the members.
Looking forward to seeing your 24" version Tim, and many thanks for the welcome Joe.
Andy
Aero Andy is offline Find More Posts by Aero Andy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Phoenix 2000
Old Jul 11, 2012, 02:24 AM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Oct 2011
505 Posts
Thanks Andy! And greetings to you too! Welcome aboard.

The Slowly appealed to me at the right moment when I was looking to head back to RET relaxed flying. Too much 3D and pushers gets to you sometimes...lol! Hunting through the German RC forums and they have lots of great designs where RET is concerned. And they have great appeal. This Slowly and the Magnum are just some examples.

Yeah the golf course isn't a great idea...lol! Unless you wish to shuttle balls or drinks to and fro for members with a giant Slowly...that may just work...haha!

24" is almost done. She feels light. Hoping to maiden later this evening or tomorrow morning depending on weather. If all goes well, I'll complete her look and probably change out the wheels as I'm not happy with whats on now. They spin...just doesn't look nice HAHA! A nice plane deserves the looks. I may add a tail wheel....just need to go bend some wire and make a hole somewhere in the Stab.

@ggrimley:
Your getting that tail skid turn due to no tail wheel. So the rudder is basically whipping the rear end around when you power up to turn her. I'd probably add a tail wheel to mine for that extra ability to steer when on the ground. can be easily done with a stiff wire, a hole thru the stab and glued to the rudder.

Till then...Tim
Last edited by timatworksg; Jul 11, 2012 at 02:30 AM.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 10:43 AM
Joined Dec 2011
429 Posts
Hey Tim.. Cant wait to see the vids of your maiden..

When you get the tail wheel attached, please post a pic. I think that I would like to add one also.

Thanks for solving the cockpit AB mystery It was the only piece I just could not fit in...

Later.. Gary
Old Jul 11, 2012, 10:56 AM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jun 2009
3,424 Posts
All right all right ,If you guys figure out what part goes where take a picture of it with pointing arrows for us slightly handicapt builders .lmao I got the girlfriend and son off to the beach this morning and iam cutting out templets as fast as i can till they get back. joe
cracksmeup is offline Find More Posts by cracksmeup
Old Jul 11, 2012, 11:39 AM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Oct 2011
505 Posts
@ggrimley

If all goes well...I should be able to do a maiden tomorrow morn (Singapore time that is...its past 12midnite as I type this..lol).
No probs with solving the mystery...lol. I did register at the rcline forum and just used Google translator for anything I needed to know. After looking at the build pics...I had a clearer idea.

Will definately post a pic of the tail wheel....urm after I remove the control horn I glued to the vert stab dead center where I would need to make a hole for the wheel wire....DOH! Ah well,...Lemme maiden here first and then finish her up! I did find 2 tail wheels...so now need to dig out some of my springy thicker gauge wire and start bending and twisting on the vice.

I was about to use those cotton Buds where the tube is hollow to act as a hollow shaft guide for the tail wheel wire to the rudder....only to find my wife changed brands and now the tubes are solid! LOL!

@cracksmeup
Hope you gave them extra cash to spend on snacks and ice cream...that should keep them there for awhile longer!

Lemme see what I can do with indicating what goes where. Till then....gonna sleep and hopefully tomorrow morning isn't taken up by some last minute issue!!

cheers
Tim
Old Jul 11, 2012, 11:53 AM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Oct 2011
505 Posts
Just a quickie to share from enthusiasm!

This plane has so many possibilities in terms of how one wishes to build it.

You could do like GG and double the cockpit window adding clear tape, or acetate film for windows. Also cut thin strips of foam and make window frames to hold the film for windows on the Fuse halves.
make a door at the side with an earth magnet so you have full access to the Lipo and electronics.
Make the entire rear end outta CF rods/balsa and have the front fuse body in foam! That will really give it a Vintage look! Hmmm...light small diameter aluminum rods are available here...hehe. Wow Brass will look nice...HAHA!

Just thoughts....the possibilities are endless. Even struts for the wings with some lashing brace for looks. Heck! Build her entirely outta Balsa and go 40+"!!
Old Jul 11, 2012, 12:03 PM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jun 2009
3,424 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by timatworksg View Post
@ggrimley

If all goes well...I should be able to do a maiden tomorrow morn (Singapore time that is...its past 12midnite as I type this..lol).
No probs with solving the mystery...lol. I did register at the rcline forum and just used Google translator for anything I needed to know. After looking at the build pics...I had a clearer idea.

Will definately post a pic of the tail wheel....urm after I remove the control horn I glued to the vert stab dead center where I would need to make a hole for the wheel wire....DOH! Ah well,...Lemme maiden here first and then finish her up! I did find 2 tail wheels...so now need to dig out some of my springy thicker gauge wire and start bending and twisting on the vice.

I was about to use those cotton Buds where the tube is hollow to act as a hollow shaft guide for the tail wheel wire to the rudder....only to find my wife changed brands and now the tubes are solid! LOL!

@cracksmeup
Hope you gave them extra cash to spend on snacks and ice cream...that should keep them there for awhile longer!

Lemme see what I can do with indicating what goes where. Till then....gonna sleep and hopefully tomorrow morning isn't taken up by some last minute issue!!

cheers
Tim
Hey tim the girlfriend makes just as much money as i do so she can spend hers.lol I was not asking you all for pictures of this build ,not for me but the new builders that may stumble upon this thread and would like to have a easy build of a very nice slow plane . I have been a flight instructer for many years and it just a habit of mine to try to help the new builders and flyers along on their learning journy. Now were did that part go ? lmao joe
cracksmeup is offline Find More Posts by cracksmeup
Old Jul 11, 2012, 09:46 PM
Joined Dec 2011
429 Posts
Hey Joe... Watch out for that girlfriend thing. History has proven that after a while, they want to become wives... then all freedom is gone... LAMO

Here is a picture of the Cockpit Armaturen Brett, installed as per Tim..

@Joe.. notice the arrow
Old Jul 12, 2012, 01:14 AM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Oct 2011
505 Posts
Freedom? So thats what disappeared! Darn! No wonder I just stay at home and build build build...oh and sleep sleep sleep...LOL!

GG...nice arrow! Bet it took longer to scratchbuild than the Slowly! HAHA!

I will revert with some pics of my complete build...with arrows and labels so there's a reference. Still waiting to Maiden her as the winds are pretty fierce now. She's too light to fly like that. Won't be slow for sure...!
Old Jul 12, 2012, 01:58 AM
Mark Harrison
USA, CA, Piedmont
Joined Jun 2010
2,231 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggrimley View Post
Here is a couple more videos of my first build... Even though I used Hot Glue and FFF and it comes in at a whapping 420g with the 44g motor and a 3 cell 800ma battery, I get about 9 minutes of take-off and landing practice. (edited to about 4 min. taken with a key chain #16 camera on my cap.)

http://youtu.be/apcyXn6x7ps
That's nice... and good job on the hatcam video! What did you use to stabilize the video?
marhar is online now Find More Posts by marhar