SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 09, 2012, 10:04 PM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Oct 2011
499 Posts
Hey as long as the table is approved my the Ministry of HOME AFFAIRS () I'll take it anyway it works! HAHA!

I will be posting plans for the Angry Bird. Like you,...too many builds and inspirations come up unexpectedly. After I built the Angry Bird, i was working on the plans but got sidetracked with pusher jet frenzy and built a 25"ws Pak Fa. Then I built the Sbach 342. Sidetracked with my daughter's doll house which I built for them and then the Slowly came along. Apart from them some micro guts from a killed UMX SU26 and a 35mm EDF for something soon. Also ended up helping some friends get their planes in the air. Oh yeah...a wedding slide show montage I need to do for someone...wow...I need workers hehe!

and yeah...some paints work some don't. Brushing is gives it a nice thinkness which protects but takes ages as EPP will soak up the first touch so spreading is not an option...and Tamiya paints in those little bottles....don't last very long.

I would have to thank my job as a display artist several years back for my experience with foam. Back then CNC cutting of foam and vinyl sticker lettering didn't exist yet and the Macintosh PC just came into view! I remember my supervisor kept reminding me " change blades, change blades' to keep my penknife sharp. Gosh! Looking back I must have cut up tons of letterings, scaling up text with an OHP projection and getting sticky fingers with PVA glue! Those were fun learning days. Back then...RC was just gas and hardly a LHS existed here cept for 2 shops.

Anyhow...will mssg you when I get the Bird Plans out! It's a simple build outta 8mm EPP. Till then...

Tim
timatworksg is offline Find More Posts by timatworksg
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 10, 2012, 03:46 AM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Oct 2011
499 Posts
Ok...back to the topic! Some updates on the build.

Did the wings, and as mentioned, wing in 3mm EPP and the ribs in 5mm EPP. Ended up a little soft and flexible. CA'd some CF rods to the LE and TE of the wing to stiffen it up. The CF rods follow the dihedral by doing a small break at the dihedral point and some heat shrink tubing.

Also cut up & beveled the horizontal and vert stabs. Hot glue hinges were done (gotta love them!) Added the stick mount and painted her....urm...PINK!! Did the cowling bit and fixed in the motor and esc. All thats left next are the wheels, servos, balance her up to determine where to put the lipo and then wait for nice weather....zzzzzz. Using a HXT 24g 1300kv motor with a hobbywing 10A esc.As of now the build weighs in at 126g including motor and esc! I may have to prop down or go with a less powerful lipo...hehe! Hoping to keep her below 200g AUW! Looking good thus far. Will also add some CF bracing to keep the stabs straight since they are done in 5mm EPP.

Thats it for now. Pics below as reference. Now for a snack...it's raining here and I'm suddenly hungry HAHA!

Tim
Old Jul 10, 2012, 06:18 AM
Canada, ON, Windsor
Joined Sep 2008
226 Posts
I wonder if dollar store foam would be stiff enough for this build?? Anyone have any ideas?? Thanks
sidecar53 is offline Find More Posts by sidecar53
Old Jul 10, 2012, 07:02 AM
near Stuttgart, Germany
Joined Oct 2008
342 Posts
very nice build, Tim and looks like you`r a speed modeler

I found another EPP build on the German rcline Forum, WS is 76cm ( 30" ) and weight is around 160g. Built from 6mm EPP without any carbon stiffening.
See photos.....made by Reto S from Swizerland. He has a video on youtube, when his son flying the Slowly the first time........you can call it, learning to fly

Slowflyer "Slowly" in der Stratosphäre! (1 min 44 sec)

Slowflyer "Slowly" in the night! (5 min 35 sec)

Sidecar,

I`ve seen your post on rcline, if your foam is like 6mm Depron, there should be no problem in building with. Just have a look at the measurements of some parts, because the plans are made for 3mm Depron.

Jürgen
Jürgen Be is online now Find More Posts by Jürgen Be
Last edited by Jürgen Be; Jul 10, 2012 at 07:19 AM. Reason: videolink
Old Jul 10, 2012, 07:36 AM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Oct 2011
499 Posts
Thanks Jürgen! Appreciated. I'm not a speed modeller... but somehow this plane just made me do so.........attraction? Besides...I so need an RET slowflyer and this couldn't have come at a better time. Now that it's almost done, I really like the toon nature of the design. Next build will be colorful!

Love the vids...I almost got a neckache from watching it so high! LOL! And the EPP version on rcline, 160g is awesome for such a size of 30"!! Have a link to that? Would love to see some examples in case I head towards version 2.

Lastly...since speed is of concern....finished up the wheels and wheel pants. The UC assembly is glued in without the wheels as yet. Once that is done tomorrow all thats left is servos, control arms, CF bracing for my floppy vertical stab and the lipo tray idea of yours! Then it's balance everything and secure in place. Maiden should be in another day or 2. With the AUW below 200g hopefully...I can forsee a real slowflyer!!

@sidecar:
According to the original plans the Slowly V2 uses 3mm with a little 6mm Depron here and there which are indicated in the plans. Also if I am not mistaken the orginal is 30" ws. I am building mine at 24"ws and with EPP as it was the balance foam I had and I wanna clear them before buying more EPP and depron. Besides, the challenge of using EPP is the fun part! Documenting my build for those who wish to try and perhaps improve on it. I'm sure you could build the full size using EPP only as Jurgen has already pointed out.

The trick is keeping the AUW light and you'll get really nice slow flight. Looking back at my build, I could replace the 10mm EPP sections with 5mm as the fuse, once sandwiched, forms a nice stiff section overall. Since were not gonna do high 'G' turns or spiral loops or dives....minor floppiness is ok since it's more a parade flight round the park!

Tim
Old Jul 10, 2012, 09:00 AM
near Stuttgart, Germany
Joined Oct 2008
342 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by timatworksg View Post

Love the vids...I almost got a neckache from watching it so high! LOL! And the EPP version on rcline, 160g is awesome for such a size of 30"!! Have a link to that? Would love to see some examples in case I head towards version 2.

@sidecar:
According to the original plans the Slowly V2 uses 3mm with a little 6mm Depron here and there which are indicated in the plans. Also if I am not mistaken the orginal is 30" ws.

Tim

The original is nearly 35" ( 88cm) but 6mm Depron ist not the double weight of 3mm.

Tim,

here`s the link, but Reto S has no buildingphotos posted, just the ready plane.

http://www.rclineforum.de/forum/boar...98#post3638598

http://www.rclineforum.de/forum/boar...52#post3660352

Step by step buildlog of original size from this post on

http://www.rclineforum.de/forum/boar...36#post3662436

The whole thread is full of photos for color and build examples but as I told a few post before:
to see all the photos you have to register to this forums. Don`t really know why they do so.........but it´s a nice and informative forum .

Jürgen
Jürgen Be is online now Find More Posts by Jürgen Be
Old Jul 10, 2012, 09:18 AM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Oct 2011
499 Posts
Thanks for the clarification of the original Slowly's wingspan! I stand corrected. never knew as I scaled the original down to 24" for my use and never measured it before.

Thanks for the links once again. Greatly appreciated. And yes I agree that the forum, tho in German, is very informative. I love trolling RC ideas from europe and japan....they come up with unique and often simple designs that make you go "why didn't I think of that!?" But I can see the pics.... I already registered and between RCGroups and rcline...I'm beginning to feel as if I'm traveling across the ocean and back from Singapore...lol!

Joe has also pointed me to the Magnum Reloaded build. Just grabbed the plans and for sure it's my next EPP build! RET with a sport looker....way cool! I like how the Magnum looks with the possibility of breaking it down into parts! Like LEGO bricks!

Thanks again....and will update more on my Slowly. No building here tonight as I have a movie to watch on the Tele with the wife! Couple time...hehe. Gives the glue a chance to fully cure too (excuses)

Tim
Old Jul 10, 2012, 10:24 AM
Germany
Joined Dec 2009
86 Posts
If you like big planes you can also build a big slowly.
http://www.rcmovie.de/video/de81c7e3...-Woche-spaeter

It is not my Slowly.

Klaus
klausi0 is offline Find More Posts by klausi0
Old Jul 10, 2012, 10:39 AM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jun 2009
3,377 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by klausi0 View Post
If you like big planes you can also build a big slowly.
http://www.rcmovie.de/video/de81c7e3...-Woche-spaeter

It is not my Slowly.

Klaus
I think that the wings are to floppy. i would have made wing struts for it. joe
cracksmeup is offline Find More Posts by cracksmeup
Last edited by cracksmeup; Jul 10, 2012 at 06:01 PM.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 10:47 AM
ExPat
Spain, Murcia, Mazarrón
Joined Apr 2010
1,600 Posts
Hi Guys

I know I'm a little late to the party, but I've only just come across this thread. Now I'm going to have to join the "Slowly" club. I've been looking for a replacement for my JBug, something that's relaxing to fly, and I think I've found it.
Great thread, cheers
Andy
Aero Andy is online now Find More Posts by Aero Andy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Phoenix 2000
Old Jul 10, 2012, 04:48 PM
Canada, ON, Windsor
Joined Sep 2008
226 Posts
Thanks for the response, Jurgen and tim. I'm cutting the templates out now!
sidecar53 is offline Find More Posts by sidecar53
Old Jul 10, 2012, 06:02 PM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jun 2009
3,377 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aero Andy View Post
Hi Guys

I know I'm a little late to the party, but I've only just come across this thread. Now I'm going to have to join the "Slowly" club. I've been looking for a replacement for my JBug, something that's relaxing to fly, and I think I've found it.
Great thread, cheers
Andy
Welcome Andy pull up a chair and start cutting out parts. joe
cracksmeup is offline Find More Posts by cracksmeup
Old Jul 10, 2012, 08:27 PM
United States, SD, Rapid City
Joined Dec 2011
427 Posts
Sidecar.... I am about 40% finished with my Dollar Tree foam board version.. I have skinned the paper off both sides as that is 80% of the weight.. I also have a skinned Dollar Tree version of the Magnum reloaded ready for motor and maiden. W/O the paper attached, it is quite flexible, but when glued together the geometry gives it stability. Also on the stabilizer and rudder I added a little CF and overlay-ed it with My Owens-Corning FFF magnums with Hot Glue weigh in at 450 grams... Looks like the $ Tree foam one will weigh in at about 220... I will post pics etc over on that thread.. Here I will document the skinned $ Tree foam board version of Slowly
ggrimley is offline Find More Posts by ggrimley
Old Jul 10, 2012, 08:29 PM
Joined Dec 2011
427 Posts
Hey guys.. Have a little pity on this 'ol boy... There is only so many hours in the day, and I am a slow builder... and you keep tempting me with more and more... Love the Big Slowly lol Gary
Old Jul 10, 2012, 08:39 PM
Joined Dec 2011
427 Posts
I stand corrected on the weight of the paper on the $ Tree foam board.. I just weighed one skinned and unskinned... Unskinned weight is 114g, while skinned weight is 62 grams... Closer to 50
50%.. Gary