HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 08, 2012, 02:09 PM
United States, SD, Rapid City
Joined Dec 2011
387 Posts
Thanks for the tip

Thanks Jurgen.. I am a bit new at this and at 70 the learning curve is more of a gentle slope. I can use all the help I can get...

I had two of the 24g motors, but one broke a wire when the mounting hub screw let the motor separate from the frame. The other I am using on the first Magnum Reloaded.. They have been back ordered for a long time, but last week they came in stock, so I ordered two... but will be a couple of weeks til they get here.

This one weighs in at about 420g, but with this motor and a 9x6 prop it will jump out of trouble when i get there... but a lot of torque roll to deal with.
ggrimley is offline Find More Posts by ggrimley
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 08, 2012, 02:20 PM
near Stuttgart, Germany
Joined Oct 2008
319 Posts
Is the FFF this heavy??
Or where does the weight come from?
Our builds from 3mm Depron are 230 to 280g

Jürgen
Jürgen Be is offline Find More Posts by Jürgen Be
Old Jul 08, 2012, 02:40 PM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jun 2009
3,230 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by timatworksg View Post
Thanks for the info jurgen. Appreciated. With the plans...I guess I could figure what goes where eventually....lol. Would be fun like a jigsaw puzzle. Guess i could print them out and start cutting some depron, since I do have the electronics available. Now to find the time and hideaway.

Hope to build it soon and put some pics up. It'll make a nice relaxing plane to fly when I'm not in a 3D or sporty mood...
Tim the parts that me and ggrimly had problems figuring out where they went was(Rumpfabschlab/hinten/unten) its the back bottom of the fuse . And (Schablone /Vform oben aniegen ) its not a part but a wing tip gage for the correct angle. How is that for my native amercan indian german speaking ars. lmao Give me a couple more years Jurgen and i will be speaking German. joe
cracksmeup is offline Find More Posts by cracksmeup
Old Jul 08, 2012, 04:45 PM
Joined Dec 2011
387 Posts
The FFF runs at about 6mm and has a thin plastic skin on one side.. Also being an impatient norski, I tend to use a lot of Hot glue on the first build... Me thinks this adds a lot of weight. My pealed $ tree foam board seems to be panning out will on the magnum (it is about 4.7mm and a bit lighter than the fff) My water version might be out of that, and I will not use the hot glue.. Would like to get it lighter...also I have two of the 24 g motors that should be here in a week.

PS... My German is 50 years+ past history (in HS) but some of the words on the plans looked familiar... And even with translation, there were a couple of "miss glues" Next will be better..

Thanks again for all the help folks

Gary
Old Jul 08, 2012, 06:06 PM
Joined Jun 2009
3,230 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jürgen Be View Post
Is the FFF this heavy??
Or where does the weight come from?
Our builds from 3mm Depron are 230 to 280g

Jürgen
Fanfold weighs more than depron and it's 6mm thick or a hair under 1/4 inch. You add the weight plus i use a little to much gorilla glue and they get heavy fast .Iam buying some of the best foam soon for building my next batch of planes. joe
Old Jul 08, 2012, 09:43 PM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Oct 2011
487 Posts
Thanks for the translation joe...lol! Only German I can speak are mumbles of words I heard watching old war flicks...lol! Oh yeah and something un-appropriate I learned from a German friend...hehe.

I need to order some Depron for sure...only sheets I have are EPP. I guess I could attempt an EPP build but would require some rods to stiffen the back end section as well as holding up the wing over the cockpit. Curious if a monoblock type front end would work like some of the builds found here...hmmm. Perhaps I could adjust and incorporate the design for EPP somewhat....just need to figure out where required CF rods would be needed.

Hmmm...did a stock check and I have enuf EPP for a smaller build...lol. Maybe I could just do a trial and see what happens, experimentally.....thats the Fun thing I like about scratchbuilding. Will report back on outcome and progress.
timatworksg is offline Find More Posts by timatworksg
Old Jul 09, 2012, 03:03 AM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Oct 2011
487 Posts
After a quick stock check on foam...all I have left is EPP and no depron
So doing some calculations and measurements...I have enough to attempt a smaller 24"ws version of the Slowly V2.

Plans printed out to size and started the build with the Fuse as I was concerned of stiffening the back end. The Fuse is made up of 3mm and 10mm EPP. I don't speak German but I'll try to sort out which parts used what EPP. They are not direct translations so please pardon my analogy...

'Rumpfboden vorne / unten' and 'Rumpfrücken' are both done in 10mm EPP.
'Rumpfabschluß / hinten / unten' is also done in 10mm EPP. Since they will be holding the 2 fuse halves together, they may as well be thick. The 2 Fuse halves are 3mm EPP. I then CA'd x2 (2mm CF rods) along the sides top and bottom of each Fuse half. 'Kabinenspant' (which is the canopy front and fuse panel piece) was done in 10mm EPP but no cut outs were made to retain some stiffness. I'd probably just paint a black square to simulate the cockpit window later. Also added an addition 10mm EPP mid way of the fuse. This together with 'Kabinenspant' hopefully will be stiff enough to hold up the wing.

Glued the 2 fuse's together and so far, working out well!! The whole back end feels stiff and hardly twists! Good news so far,...fingers crossed.
Working on the motor mount foam piece soon and completing the whole fuse section next.

Just a question though,...COG is 1.3 the wing cord as per norm? Also where is the Lipo mounted? Dropped through the cockpit windows into the bottom of the fuse? Curious, but with the space available,..finding suitable spaces to mount the Lipo, ESC and Rx is easy!

Pics on progress thus far attached for reference below. After cutting the plans out at 24" WS...I realised with the Polyhedral it'll be smaller in WS. LOL . So far looking good...updates and more progress to come soon.
Old Jul 09, 2012, 03:32 AM
near Stuttgart, Germany
Joined Oct 2008
319 Posts
Nice and quick done.

CG is 1/3 as you supposed. For the lipo I glued an additional deck into the cabin.
Velcro holds the lipo right under the CG on mine. Servos are backwards, behind the wing. Don`t know, if this works on your build. You should try out on the nearly ready "Slowly" where to put your electronics.

Got some photos.......

Jürgen
Jürgen Be is offline Find More Posts by Jürgen Be
Old Jul 09, 2012, 04:36 AM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Oct 2011
487 Posts
Thanks for the info Jürgen! Appreciated. The decking sounds workable. That way I don't have to dig my grubby fingers in too deep...lol! I like where you mounted the servos....makes it all very neat. I should try it that way...thanks for that!

I may have to do away with rubber bands to hold the wing in place as it'll probably wreck the EPP. Since it's a smaller version, I'll glue it directly to the fuse for a perm fix. Fixing up the front end and motor mounting soon. Added another layer of 3mm EPP to the nose, doubling the nose area for some stiffness. Gonna work on the wing later tonite hopefully and then it's figuring out what color to paint it! So far my 2 girls insist I paint one of my planes with Pink! They have been pestering me with all my builds...lol. I guess I could accomodate a little here and there.

Till then, till next update...
Tim
Old Jul 09, 2012, 09:01 AM
Joined Jun 2009
3,230 Posts
Man you work fast Tim ,i wish epp was easy and cheaper to get here i would have used it for my magnum reloaded builds .I would think that if you were worried about twisting anything you could criss cross some thin carbon fiber rods to stiffen things up. I am still working on Jurgens little bibe he conerted from a flat bibe to a full fuse but you guys are making me wish i had started my slowly with all these great builds . BTW i checked out some of your builds Tim and i love the angry bird ,made me laugh as i watched you fly it around.lol joe
Last edited by cracksmeup; Jul 09, 2012 at 09:16 AM.
Old Jul 09, 2012, 09:11 AM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Oct 2011
487 Posts
Thanks joe! Had the time to build and strangely enough...it just flowed once I started cutting stuff up. One thing led to another and most ideas and methods came from lessons learnt from previous plane builds.

Nice idea about the criss cross...should have x-rayed my Hokusei EPP plane for lotsa possibilities...lol. So far the Fuse alone with no wing and electronics come in about 30g. Could be lighter but so far so good for a build as you go concept. Working on the wing with 3mm EPP and 5mm for the ribs. I may have to stick on some CF on the LE and TE to keep the EPP flat and straight between ribs. But it gives me a chance to try some other build methods which floated in my mind mostly.

EPP is expensive here too and only one LHS carries them which is the nearest to where I live.

Anyways...will update with more work. Cheers..Tim
Old Jul 09, 2012, 04:58 PM
Joined Dec 2011
387 Posts
Hey Tim... when you get on it, you really get on it... Nice build photos... I am still gluing my Dollar Tree (skinned) Magnum together.. I hid the hot glue gun to keep it lighter.. Am in the process of pulling the paper off enough to make another Slowly, without the errors in my first build.

I took her out this morning along with a few other club members, they were amazed... I am sure we will see a few more flying around Rapid City this summer...
Gary
Old Jul 09, 2012, 06:21 PM
Joined Jun 2009
3,230 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggrimley View Post
Hey Tim... when you get on it, you really get on it... Nice build photos... I am still gluing my Dollar Tree (skinned) Magnum together.. I hid the hot glue gun to keep it lighter.. Am in the process of pulling the paper off enough to make another Slowly, without the errors in my first build.

I took her out this morning along with a few other club members, they were amazed... I am sure we will see a few more flying around Rapid City this summer...
Gary
I make heavy carboard templets to build planes over and over again but no one around here is building for me to share them with. My club members like buying high dollar big 150 cc 3-d arfs that they realy cant fly and blame the wind the sun or their transmitters when they crash them in a week or two.lol Iam hoping my 9 year old son will start building /flying soon but iam not pushing him one way or the other.Iam hoping he looks up one day in our basement and figures out all thos planes fly.joe
Old Jul 09, 2012, 08:56 PM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Oct 2011
487 Posts
@ggrimley
Well....somehow this plane got to me and since I was on the look out for a relaxed RET...the Slowly became an real interest.

The parts go together easily once everything is cut out...so credit goes to the plans and how it was designed! There is so much space I could add where needed. Also building with EPP has been a common thing for me of recent. UHU Por and CA really speeds the process...oh yeah and the mandatory sharp blade Always!

Over here, I do have some that share the passion of builds. Most do the same and would rather spend on a kit and yeah...blame something else rather than themselves when crashes occur. Seems to be a worl wide epidemic...haha! One of the issues here is that most kits come without a motor and many don't really research the recommended motor specs, weight and kv. Head out to buy something either heavier or lighter, or more/less kv and end up with a plane thats underpowered or overpowered. If underpowered, bump up the lipo and never check AUW. Worst,..plop on a larger prop and wonder why the motor/esc is hot. Then bump up the esc adding more to AUW and end up crashing! Blame the plane being made in China and buy something more expensive. Lastly...I have yet to actually see someone check COG and lateral balance as pre-flight checks. Plug in and Fly....throttle into the wind hoping to beat it and burn out something or fatten a lipo in the process.

On a side note, I met someone who has already gone through 6 EDF jets in the past 9 months! Yepz...he has never flown an RC plane! To him a Cessna or Cub isn't kool and looks ugly.

Hope your son picks it up joe! My eldest girl just admires and cheers when they do something cool. My youngest (3yrs) has potential as she will grab my foam scraps and stick them together with masking tape, drawing out lines and scribbles while I work on builds! I tried to tempt my eldest with my Angry Bird Plane : http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ght=angri+bird
no avail...haha! But onlookers love it!

Anyway my little story to side track things a little..lol.
As for my Slowly build...wings done!! Had to add some CF rods on the LE and TE to stiffen things up since it was built with 3mm EPP with 5mm ribs. Heading to the LHS for some stock (DAMN UHU Por finishes quick!!) and grab some paint.

Will update soon on progress. Overall...She looks really cute and sweet at 24" ws (well 22"+ with polyhedral). Till then.....

Tim
Old Jul 09, 2012, 09:39 PM
Joined Jun 2009
3,230 Posts
Tim i hope you get around to posting your plans of the angry bird it looks like a nice looking fun plane to fly and i would build one. I have been trying different paints out here for my foam builds and have waisted time with a few but i guess its all part of the learning curve and finaly found a good foam paint for a brush . I did start making templets for the slowly today even tho i have another build on the work bench. Iam waiting on a real light motor for the bibe but i have all i need for the slowly so it looks like i will switch gears for a while and start one. Iam glad at these times i was a carpenter for 29 years and built 3 - 8ft work benches in my basement and a table outside for when the weather is nice. The girlfriend still thinks the table outside is a picnic table i built just for her ,silly girl ! lol joe