HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 06, 2012, 08:38 PM
I live my life 12oz at a time
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,873 Posts
Suggestion
Re: How can I search for really old posts?

I couldn't reply to this thread (How can I search for really old posts?) so I am posting this here instead. Hopefully others find it useful as well. I use it all the time. Not to find someone's oldest posts, but to find something in RCG across many threads. Here goes:

- The first thing most people don't know is that you can limit google searches for a specific site. You do so by adding "site:<the site to search>". In this case since we only want to search RCG you would do: site:rcgroups.com in the Google search box.

- Then, you would add your user name since we only want to search your posts so we have: "site:rcgroups.com dee-grose" in the Google search box.

- In this case we want to search not for a particular post or something you said but rather for your very first posts. Your posts shows you first joined RCG in October of 2003. That means we want to tell Google to only show us posts around that time frame.
To do so, search for the above and then click on "Show search tools" on the left hand side, and then "custom range..."

- Put a date that will list your very first posts e.g. 7/3/2003 to 7/3/2004 and voilą your very first posts on RCG are listed here.

It shows you lurked from October until jan 23rd....

And that your very first post (at least according to Google) is this one.

I find it hilarious becuase the Mosa 2 is the very same Plane I fly at the moment! Coincidence? I call it RC fate...

Anyhow, it is pretty funny that Google end up doing a better job searching sites than the sites own built-in search. In the case of RCG it is understandable. In the case of companies who spend millions of dollars on their search infrastructure, not so funny....

Now everyone can go back and embarrass themselves with their first posts...
arnav is online now Find More Posts by arnav
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 09, 2012, 12:11 PM
Administrator
United States, TN, Nashville
Joined Mar 2002
11,545 Posts
Thanks for the great post. I will use this as well.
Jim T. Graham is online now Find More Posts by Jim T. Graham
Administrator