HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 18, 2012, 10:58 PM
Team Hong Kong F3K
Hong Kong
Joined Sep 2010
3,021 Posts
Oh mannnnnnnnnnn.....That sucks!!!
Hope you can somehow repair that or get a replacement. You have the P2 and other new toys soon though, don't worry
Thomas
ThomasLee is online now Find More Posts by ThomasLee
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Neos Layups
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 18, 2012, 11:28 PM
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Nov 2010
4,013 Posts
Very true. Just bummed this thing is delaminating like it is! I can't wait to get my hands on that P2 and eventually a Neos! But for now I atleast wish this one could last more than a week of flying without having wing issues!
Jwmflying14 is offline Find More Posts by Jwmflying14
Old Jul 19, 2012, 05:49 AM
Germantown, Maryland
Joined Apr 2004
4,511 Posts
If the wing was made with too little resin, then it should be easy to simply rub epoxy through the surface and stick it in a vacuum bag to fix it.

Assuming that the core is not damaged, then all you need to do is rebond the skin to the foam. Bagged wings normally have porous skins, so epoxy that is rubbed on the outside surface will go right through to the foam. If it was bagged too dry, then it will be very porous. You need to use a laminating epoxy which will be thinner than typical hobby store epoxy and that will stay thin for a reasonable working time. You will need a bit of bagging mylar and a vacuum system. Just cut mylars to the size and shape of the wing. Make the mylars a bit short of the total wing span on the throwing blade side and make cutouts in the mylar for any linkages, horns or wiring that gets in the way. Wax the mylar, rub epoxy on the delammed area of the wing, wipe off excess epoxy with a paper towel. Close the wing in the mylars, cut foam blocks to go over protrusions like the throwing blade and linkages, tape those foam blocks in place and stick that all in the vacuum bag at maybe 18" HG. Normally you don't need to worry about the shape of the wing for fixing small delam areas, but with a broad area of delam, you may want to weight the wing down in a way that holds the correct twist in the area of the delam.

Hopefully you have vacuum bagging capability or a friend nearbay that does.
Phil Barnes is offline Find More Posts by Phil Barnes
Old Jul 19, 2012, 11:05 AM
Thermal, where art thou?
Joined Oct 2005
2,646 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwmflying14 View Post
Thank you! I will still try to get it fixed by the weekend. It's just a major bummer, and huge disappointment. The problem is I already got a good deal on this airframe as this whole airframe was a replacement.
I'll try to be there around 6 am, but am traveling from Phoenix, so give or take a few. We'll take a look at this broken bird. I'll also bring along a spare beater that you or Mark or anyone else can fly during the contest. It's got a glass pod, so swapping receivers and antenna install is no problem. Trimming doesn't take too long, and who cares. Let's have some fun.

BavarianCharles is offline Find More Posts by BavarianCharles
Old Jul 19, 2012, 12:54 PM
Now fortified with carbon
Canada, ON, Puslinch
Joined Apr 2010
2,674 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianCharles View Post
I'll try to be there around 6 am, but am traveling from Phoenix, so give or take a few. We'll take a look at this broken bird. I'll also bring along a spare beater that you or Mark or anyone else can fly during the contest. It's got a glass pod, so swapping receivers and antenna install is no problem. Trimming doesn't take too long, and who cares. Let's have some fun.

Good attitude
DLGjunkyard is offline Find More Posts by DLGjunkyard
Old Jul 19, 2012, 04:57 PM
Yes..ok..maybe..lol.....
Tucson Avra Valley, Arizona, United States
Joined Jul 2004
5,724 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLGjunkyard View Post
Good attitude

until the contest starts.................
shhhhh! is offline Find More Posts by shhhhh!