Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jul 07, 2012, 07:14 PM
United States, MA, Waltham
Joined Dec 2001
6,893 Posts
Usually, for the delam part, you can brush on some laminating (i.e. low viscosity) epoxy and let it sit so it can get through the pores and between the foam and the skin. This seems to work for layups that are the least bit dry. Doesn't have to LOOK dry to work. Then, of course, you'll want to wipe off the excess and apply some pressure with a vacuum back or soft foam to hold the kin against the core.
lincoln is online now Find More Posts by lincoln
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: paper blast tube test
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 08, 2012, 02:17 PM
Do it AGAIN! This time BETTER!
WA
Joined Jan 2005
437 Posts
Tip Strike

I would agree tip strike. Didn't have to happen on the last launch could have been prior. Just enough to partially delam the carbon dbox...do a couple more launches and then boom!

Mine is repaired and has since been flown ballasted in 20+ winds.

Good luck on your repair.

Ken
ThermalThief is offline Find More Posts by ThermalThief
Old Jul 08, 2012, 04:01 PM
Joined Feb 2009
102 Posts
I have seen the same damage on a Topsky 2. A friend of mine was launching, and I was watching to analyze his tosses.
That was no tipstrike at all. It was a pretty hard launch, but nothing exeptional.
That plane had internal topdrive, so we blamed it on the hole in the foam, but the delam started at the LE, so we were never really sure.
I had a Binary3 some years ago, and that one also sufferd from delams in the outer wing. It din`t brake, but i still had to fix it after every other flight That wing had a really dry layup. I try to throw perfectly level, keep my shoulder loose and let the plane steer my arm rather then the opposite, so I won`t tipstrike.
If you are absolutly sure that you didn`t hit the ground, contact the vendor and complain.
Bad scientist is offline Find More Posts by Bad scientist
Old Jul 08, 2012, 04:17 PM
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Nov 2010
4,009 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad scientist View Post
I have seen the same damage on a Topsky 2. A friend of mine was launching, and I was watching to analyze his tosses.
That was no tipstrike at all. It was a pretty hard launch, but nothing exeptional.
That plane had internal topdrive, so we blamed it on the hole in the foam, but the delam started at the LE, so we were never really sure.
I had a Binary3 some years ago, and that one also sufferd from delams in the outer wing. It din`t brake, but i still had to fix it after every other flight That wing had a really dry layup. I try to throw perfectly level, keep my shoulder loose and let the plane steer my arm rather then the opposite, so I won`t tipstrike.
If you are absolutly sure that you didn`t hit the ground, contact the vendor and complain.
Well I am 99% absolutely sure. But there are many experienced guys in here that swear it just have been a tip strike.... This has got me rethinking. But its just the fact that I was purposely working on form, and that form doesn't get me anywhere close to the ground..... And the fact she has been my baby and I have been extra careful with stuff like tip strikes. Or less than perfect landings....

As for contacting the vendor I kind of gave up on that idea, simply because if 99% of the people here believe its a tipstrike, what will the vendor think?

Oh well.... It's pretty much fixed, it was just very hard to get epoxy actually into the crack. Even thinned out epoxy doesn't move through a hypodermic needle very well.
Jwmflying14 is online now Find More Posts by Jwmflying14
Old Jul 08, 2012, 11:15 PM
Congress, AZ
Joined Sep 2001
4,783 Posts
What epoxy are you using, how much and what thinner and what is the hypo needle number?

I use the hypo for injecting thin epoxy and have no problem. I'll check on my hypo needles in the morning.

Gary
GaryO is online now Find More Posts by GaryO
Old Jul 09, 2012, 01:37 AM
Joined Nov 2010
4,009 Posts
It was the only one that walgreens had for "diabetics" its 29 gauge, 1/2" length. And I used west systems with 206 slow hardner. Mixed with about 10-15% denatured alcohol. I don't feel like I got a sufficient amount in there, there were also a few bubbles of skin afterwards, in which thin ca injected with a needle worked. Today I tested the wing under stress and didn't see any raising of the skin as it would when it is separated. I also went and flew for about 30 minutes with some mid power throws. It seems to work fine but I would like to inject a little extra epoxy if I can find a way to insure strength
Old Jul 09, 2012, 01:40 AM
Team Hong Kong F3K
Hong Kong
Joined Sep 2010
2,995 Posts
I hope that was foam-safe CA... regular CA will eat away the XPS foam found in most bagged wings

Glad it's up in the air again though! phew! I bet you missed flying during this week
ThomasLee is online now Find More Posts by ThomasLee
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Neos Layups
Old Jul 09, 2012, 01:46 AM
Joined Nov 2010
4,009 Posts
I used walgreens superglue!

Lol just kidding... Of course I used foam safe!
Old Jul 09, 2012, 01:58 AM
Team Hong Kong F3K
Hong Kong
Joined Sep 2010
2,995 Posts
phew!
where did you find the super-thin foam safe? I've been trying to find some but wasn't able to
ThomasLee is online now Find More Posts by ThomasLee
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Neos Layups
Old Jul 09, 2012, 02:25 AM
Joined Nov 2010
4,009 Posts
My LHS. They actually aren't so great for 80% of the stuff you normally need, but they do have some good scratch building supplies!
Old Jul 09, 2012, 05:25 AM
Now fortified with carbon
Canada, ON, Puslinch
Joined Apr 2010
2,692 Posts
FWIW There does appear to be a stress riser there judging from the two wings posted in this thread. Whats with that? Topsky should consider a doubler spanning out from the root. If it hadnt failed there perhaps the tips would have shown a mark. Just sayin
DLGjunkyard is offline Find More Posts by DLGjunkyard
Old Jul 09, 2012, 02:45 PM
Hey was that a Thermal ????
Joined Nov 2009
2,448 Posts
Just to maybe put your mind to rest a bit, a tip strike will on occassion not cause a problem immediately. As someone who regularly destroys airplanes I have had ample opportunities to see how things react. The foam that is used in most bagged wings does not bond to the skins really well. I mention this because you could have hit the tip on another occasion and that got things in motion. Once there is even a small delam started it WILL spread if not addressed. They can be very hard to detect under a carbon D-Box because the D-Box is fairly stiff and opaque. You mentioned the red dirt, we have the same stuff here. There ius a very good chance it would not mark a wing tip because they simply are not porous enough to absord any of it.

Maybe that will ease the sting a little to know that it may not have happened right then and there when you were focussing on form.

Paul
The_Builder is offline Find More Posts by The_Builder
Old Jul 09, 2012, 06:55 PM
Build something.
United States, CT, Fairfield
Joined Mar 2012
672 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Builder View Post
...Once there is even a small delam started it WILL spread if not addressed....
Ahh yes I'm sure he'll sleep well now.
Nodd is offline Find More Posts by Nodd
Old Jul 09, 2012, 07:29 PM
Hey was that a Thermal ????
Joined Nov 2009
2,448 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodd View Post
Ahh yes I'm sure he'll sleep well now.
My point is to quit replaying that day in his head, it could have happened any time...

I did a little looking at your Balsa build, very nice!!
The_Builder is offline Find More Posts by The_Builder
Old Jul 09, 2012, 08:30 PM
Build something.
United States, CT, Fairfield
Joined Mar 2012
672 Posts
Yeah sorry just busting your ballz. Glad you liked my build, I see you're big into the DLG scene, nice work on the Katana stuff.

Anyway don't want to stray off topic here. Great to hear our injured bird is back in the air. That was a quick mend.
Nodd is offline Find More Posts by Nodd