HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 06, 2012, 11:28 AM
United States, IL, Des Plaines
Joined Apr 2012
27 Posts
Discussion
Too hot to fly

For almost 2 weeks now it's been too hot to fly here in the Chicago Area 103 Deg today, getting tired of "practicing" on the sim so I may just have to go buy a Vapor to fly in the house
JohnMD is offline Find More Posts by JohnMD
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 06, 2012, 11:35 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,302 Posts
think I will pullup and toss the champ out the Sunroof , fly it, while stayig cool in the car
fishycomics is offline Find More Posts by fishycomics
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jul 06, 2012, 12:26 PM
Redacted per NSA "suggestion"
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Feb 2012
5,419 Posts
Get to the field at 7 AM it's not going to be 103 at that time of day. You can get at least 2 hours flying in before it gets hot.
dedStik is online now Find More Posts by dedStik
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: More Confessions of a Smoker
Old Jul 06, 2012, 12:54 PM
Joined Apr 2012
27 Posts
Ded: At 7:00 AM I am already at work plus it was 90deg and 60% Humidity
YUCK, forecast is for cooler weather next week only mid 80s
Old Jul 06, 2012, 01:07 PM
Fly it low.. and fly it fast!
United States, MA, Westport
Joined Nov 2011
1,739 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMD View Post
Ded: At 7:00 AM I am already at work plus it was 90deg and 60% Humidity
YUCK, forecast is for cooler weather next week only mid 80s
Hey, if it's too hot, then it's too hot. I would just wait it out if the weather forecast is looking better for next week. Heck, it's already Friday so you're practically there.

Meanwhile, play around on the sim to get your fix. That's what I do.... but then, I fly on my sim AND outside just about every day. Unless the winds are over 15mph, I'm going flying, no questions asked!

Especially once you get really good with your flying skills and the wind becomes FUN and keeps the "challenge factor" around for a little longer.
Hit N Run is offline Find More Posts by Hit N Run
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 06, 2012, 01:21 PM
Joined Apr 2012
27 Posts
With me still being new at this ( only 3 Months ) and no crashes yet I do use the sim ( Pheonix ) a lot, I usually try things I would not do in the real world like flying 3ft off the ground inverted, intentionaly nose dive to earth to practice emergency recoveries, Set the wind speed to 25MPH. ETC.
But it still is not the same rush as actually flying. Hard to believe that mid 80s will actually feel cool
Old Jul 06, 2012, 01:52 PM
Standing Athwart History
United States, TX, Dallas
Joined Mar 2011
610 Posts
No crashes yet? You are not trying hard enough. Ftr, I try hard enough often enough to keep half my planes re-kitted at all times.
roo_ster is offline Find More Posts by roo_ster
Old Jul 06, 2012, 05:53 PM
2 new
United States, FL, Pembroke Pines
Joined Jun 2012
45 Posts
Come down to Florida where it's not as hot. LOL.
RayPaganJr is offline Find More Posts by RayPaganJr
Old Jul 06, 2012, 06:44 PM
"Charlie in KY"
United States, KY, Grayson
Joined Jul 2012
20 Posts
8 out of the last 9 days here in Kentucky have been record breaking hot temps - tomorrow and Sunday expected to be the same. Only time to fly is 5AM or 7PM right now.

Got my batteries on charge right now - less than 15 minutes from flying time - still hot though - waaaayyyy too hot......

Charlie in Kentucky
avmagcol is offline Find More Posts by avmagcol
Old Jul 06, 2012, 07:06 PM
USA, MN, Shakopee
Joined Sep 2004
1,215 Posts
1here in MN 85 to 101 and that just to hot for the planes and the people to fly but i do hang out at the club field tho.
scottc39 is online now Find More Posts by scottc39
Old Jul 07, 2012, 02:27 AM
RC Newb/Gorilla Glue User
United States, OH
Joined Jul 2011
124 Posts
No such thing. I just drink fluids, wear sunglasses and a lightweight hat, and get out there! The wind has been light the last few days, I take it when I can.
WingNut64 is online now Find More Posts by WingNut64
Old Jul 07, 2012, 11:42 AM
United States, MI, Monroe
Joined Jun 2009
2,005 Posts
Get out there and fly it, too hot does not exist, now too cold will shut me down!
Tony K is offline Find More Posts by Tony K
Old Jul 07, 2012, 11:47 AM
Joined Nov 2011
1,739 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony K View Post
Get out there and fly it, too hot does not exist, now too cold will shut me down!
Agreed! I hate the cold... can't feel my fingers after a few minutes, which translates to loss of control sooner or later, lol.

For me, wintertime is when I play around with my rc cars/trucks/snowmobiles/airboats.

I can just stand in front of my bay window (front yard), or my sliding glass doors (back yard), and be nice and toasty.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 07, 2012, 12:12 PM
RC Newb/Gorilla Glue User
United States, OH
Joined Jul 2011
124 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit N Run View Post
Agreed! I hate the cold... can't feel my fingers after a few minutes, which translates to loss of control sooner or later, lol.

For me, wintertime is when I play around with my rc cars/trucks/snowmobiles/airboats.

I can just stand in front of my bay window (front yard), or my sliding glass doors (back yard), and be nice and toasty.
Hey, I like that! A car or two and maybe an indoor helicopter will help when I'm "jonesin'" during the cold months, and I never thought of running one from inside.
WingNut64 is online now Find More Posts by WingNut64
Old Jul 07, 2012, 12:22 PM
Joined Nov 2011
1,739 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WingNut64 View Post
Hey, I like that! A car or two and maybe an indoor helicopter will help when I'm "jonesin'" during the cold months, and I never thought of running one from inside.
I can't believe I forgot to mention the small heli's!
I have two Blade mSR's that I fly inside all the time! Lots of fun!! (I drive my cats crazy with them)

Yeah, the only downside of standing by the window or door inside your home, is that you can't really fly planes too well. Except maybe if you're doing 3-D and hovering around in your yard, or maybe some of the ultra micro planes.
RCG Plus Member