HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 06, 2012, 08:40 AM
AKA Jon Rider
United States, MA, Holliston
Joined May 2004
1,074 Posts
Build Log
Peter Rake’s SE5a 18” Build

I’m wrapping up a few other projects and I wanted to make something smaller and “backyard sized” so Peter was kind enough to send me the SE5a plans, and Charlie over at Manzo Laser is cutting this little plane for me (I think the shipping is more than the balsa ). I want to make a very light fun flyer that will be a great indoor or “no wind” outdoor flyer. Here is the Scheme I am looking to reproduce. It’s from the 25th Aero Squadron and flown by its commander, Capt. Landis.
Shnokey is offline Find More Posts by Shnokey
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 06, 2012, 08:46 AM
AKA Jon Rider
Joined May 2004
1,074 Posts
I was looking at how to power this little guy – and it came to me that the small RTF foamies use a comparable power plant and battery setup – so some drifting around at HK I found the little 18” Piper Cub RTF – so I ordered it ($49 US) and will transfer the radio, battery and the power plant to the new SE5a – This would be a great plane to take out the radio gear from your old “bent up” light foamies and reuse it in a new airframe. – Here is the link to the “donor” plane”

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=18872
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 06, 2012, 08:53 AM
AKA Jon Rider
Joined May 2004
1,074 Posts
With Charlie sending the Balsa (in the mail now) and my little foamie on a slow boat from China, I decided to start with the covering design. Seeing this is so light, I wanted to cover it with “traditional” tissue, but with a twist. I have a stack of white tissue I have used on other projects, so I will design the entire scheme in Photoshop and print it on the white tissue. This way, all of the markings, panel lines, dirt and oil stains are designed right into the tissue, then applied directly to the balsa as you would any other small build. The PDF files from the plans convert well into a skeleton frame in Photoshop, and then I can design and transfer the images for the markings. Here are two examples of the design, one with a 50% opaque green overall color so you can see the framing of the plane, and the second will be the “print file” that will go directly on the white tissue.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 06, 2012, 11:04 AM
What's 3D?
Australia, WA, Ellenbrook
Joined Feb 2008
3,316 Posts
heya mate, great idea with the pre printed covering, will be very interested to see how it turns out, hope the water and dope dont make the colours run while you are shrinking and sealing it!

Cheers
Craig
trumps is offline Find More Posts by trumps
Old Jul 06, 2012, 11:44 AM
AKA Jon Rider
Joined May 2004
1,074 Posts
No!!! - The inks remain fast when I wet them – Crystal clear - and I use a light dusting of matte Polyurethane over the shrunk tissue – Here is a detailed example of a 20” DVIII with tissue over CoverLite:
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 06, 2012, 11:46 AM
AKA Jon Rider
Joined May 2004
1,074 Posts
Some more images of the same tissue on the DVIII
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 06, 2012, 11:59 AM
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
6,977 Posts
Suggest this as a donor 4.5 gram avionics (with surprisingly Good servos as bonus, it's a heli they needs be quick/accurate).
A very good Gyro , albeit useless on a fixed wing.. but?
Dual rate TX, usb and tx chargers and 2! batteries....Wayyy Cheaper too :-)
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...de_1_RTF_.html
Wait Mooney has published a V nice Peanut scale (12" span) se5 (rarer) widely available as a freebie download. If one wants to spend the hour required in cutting their own parts.
Bare is offline Find More Posts by Bare
Old Jul 06, 2012, 12:07 PM
AKA Jon Rider
Joined May 2004
1,074 Posts
Fantastic! - Thanks - Any way we can re-purpose R/C Gear, planes, motors etc. – The better – It’s been a while since I purchased Servos and such – Lower costs too!!! – Just hate to see someone “throw away” a small indoor foamy because it’s broken or parts are no longer available – When Peter and others provide the source for a new life to this old equipment -
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 06, 2012, 12:23 PM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,650 Posts
No cheaper at all by the time you've come up with a useable motor unit and prop. Great idea if you already have the heli though. Of course, we have to see what the Cub motor unit is like first since we already know that a Vapor motor isn't enough unless the model is kept very light.
I'm really looking forward to seeing how the printed tissue works out.

Pete
PETERRAKE is offline Find More Posts by PETERRAKE
Old Jul 06, 2012, 01:00 PM
AKA Jon Rider
Joined May 2004
1,074 Posts
Here is a quick picture or two of the DIII I am working on now with the printed tissue -
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 06, 2012, 02:49 PM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,650 Posts
Why's it covered with wallpaper?
PETERRAKE is offline Find More Posts by PETERRAKE
Old Jul 06, 2012, 04:27 PM
AKA Jon Rider
Joined May 2004
1,074 Posts
Ha - That's what I thought too!!! - but history always repeats itself - this time from a 1918 DIII (Oefag) to 1960's Shagadelic wallpaper - Take a look at the attached - I love making planes that were accurate but different!!! -
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 07, 2012, 12:41 AM
Joined May 2005
761 Posts
Mine flew great with the Champ Motor.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...peter+rake+se5
scigs30 is offline Find More Posts by scigs30
Old Jul 19, 2012, 07:57 AM
AKA Jon Rider
Joined May 2004
1,074 Posts
Charlie came through with the cut files and the small sheets of balsa, and the little Cub came over from China – What a better way to create a Donor plane is to give the little 18” Cub to my 9 and 12 year olds for a while – As they practiced their carrier landings in the backyard, they created the opportunity to convert the foam Cub into parts for the SE5a
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 19, 2012, 08:01 AM
AKA Jon Rider
Joined May 2004
1,074 Posts
I weighed the Cub with the battery and it came in at 39 Grams. So That will be my target for the SE5a – The little 18” cub could JUST loop from a slight dive, climbed out with power and flew fine for a great little backyard flyer – so at the same weight – the SE5a should be just fine…

I took out the motor, gearbox, servo/receiver/esc module and set it up on top of the plans for a “dry run” They look like they will fit just fine. – Now we will begin the build and incorporate the Cub parts for the SE5 -
RCG Plus Member