HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 06, 2012, 07:28 AM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Nov 2010
618 Posts
Discussion
Britkit Build Off. Veron Tipsy Nipper

Here goes the Nipper, I've been as busy as a dog burying a bone in a marble floor lately but things seem to have calmed down so let's see what we can do with this kit. I'm of two minds as to how I want to control this model and how to power it, I've been somewhat inspired by Phil Green and his clever little single channel encoders so I've ordered one and could put it in a s/c push button set. Of course I could go for the safer option and use that in a Mercury Wizard or Veron Sky Skooter that I also have kits for and use my standard 9g servos and Spektrum radio for the Nipper, any suggestions? The second thing of course, is how to power it? I have several electric motors like the one I used in the KK Gipsy or I could dig out one of my diesels and build it as a stinker, I'll see what any of you guys think and carry on building in the meantime.
kkphantom is offline Find More Posts by kkphantom
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 06, 2012, 07:44 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,518 Posts
Good-oh Gary. Subscribed and watching with interest, link posted to Build Off thread.
Sundancer is online now Find More Posts by Sundancer
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 06, 2012, 07:50 AM
Belgium
Joined Aug 2004
3,507 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkphantom View Post
Here goes the Nipper, I've been as busy as a dog burying a bone in a marble floor lately but things seem to have calmed down so let's see what we can do with this kit. I'm of two minds as to how I want to control this model and how to power it, I've been somewhat inspired by Phil Green and his clever little single channel encoders so I've ordered one and could put it in a s/c push button set. Of course I could go for the safer option and use that in a Mercury Wizard or Veron Sky Skooter that I also have kits for and use my standard 9g servos and Spektrum radio for the Nipper, any suggestions? The second thing of course, is how to power it? I have several electric motors like the one I used in the KK Gipsy or I could dig out one of my diesels and build it as a stinker, I'll see what any of you guys think and carry on building in the meantime.
I did own a full size Tipsy and a model, not sure if it was Veron but it was powered with an OS FS 160 twin
Reginald is offline Find More Posts by Reginald
Old Jul 06, 2012, 07:55 AM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Nov 2010
618 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reginald View Post
not sure if it was Veron but it was powered with an OS FS 160 twin
That might make mine somewhat nose heavy!
Old Jul 06, 2012, 09:55 AM
RFJ
Northern Ireland
Joined Dec 2004
1,511 Posts
May have been the Pegasus kit from the mid 1980s.

A friend of mine built his own 1/4 scale version and flew it in the 1978 Woodvale FAI World Scale Champs. It had flown well in testing apart from being a bit wobbly on the ground due to the rather narrow track sprung undercarriage. Unfortunately it crashed during the event after achieving a very good static score. As I was carrying the wreckage back to the pits a reporter from a Japanese model magazine, thinking I was the unfortunate builder, bowed, put a hand firmly on my shoulder and said (cue stereotypical Japanese accent)... "You be strong man again"

Sound advice I think you will agree and a phrase I still like to use when comforting anyone in a similar situation ...unless it was an ARTF.

Ray
RFJ is offline Find More Posts by RFJ
Last edited by RFJ; Jul 07, 2012 at 04:08 AM.
Old Jul 06, 2012, 10:09 AM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Saw a 'real' one do an aerobatic routine at an airshow way back in England. Kinda 'slow motion' aeros, but it's a cute aircraft, a little 'different' and good to see this kit re-appear like this.

Would have been inclined to keep the kit and do a little re-arrangement of the internal works with 'modern' balsa to make it lighter, but at least with RC, it'll land with a degree of decorum and not get beaten up like a FF version would. Something like this needs a little more power to do loops and rolls, like the real thing.

Good luck with her

D
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Old Nov 29, 2012, 06:39 AM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Nov 2010
618 Posts
Work so far.....

Not a lot to write about, the Valkyrie has taken up so much of my modelling time but I'm determined to get it finished after so many false starts and once its done I can get stuck into all the other models I've been putting off. Anyway, here's the Nipper so far and I guess I should get it done by close of play and for simplicity it will have a little diesel up front and rudder only radio just as she was intended by Phil Smith.
Last edited by kkphantom; Nov 29, 2012 at 03:57 PM. Reason: .........
Old Nov 29, 2012, 09:02 AM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,518 Posts
Glad you are back on the case Gary, it looks as if at least half the work is done - the easy half! Still 5 weeks to go though.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 08, 2012, 01:23 AM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Nov 2010
618 Posts
I've spent more than a little time on the cowling but I'm pleased with the results. All the carving is done now so it's onto finishing. The fuselage will be traditional tissue and dope, painted in acrylic lacquer and the flying surfaces are going to be covered in tissue over doculam and also painted in white lacquer with red trim.
Old Dec 08, 2012, 06:33 AM
Sic itur ad Astra
United Arab Emirates, Abu Dhabi, Abu Dhabi
Joined Aug 2009
1,603 Posts
Good to see the little diesel poking its head out from the cowl!
sparks
sparks59 is offline Find More Posts by sparks59
Old Dec 08, 2012, 07:19 AM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,518 Posts
Is that a Dart lurking in there? I'm really glad this little classic is going to be in the judging!
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 08, 2012, 07:20 AM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Nov 2010
618 Posts
Thanks Sparks, it's an early Allbon dart, should chug around nicely I reckon!
Old Dec 09, 2012, 10:43 AM
Southampton, UK
Joined May 2007
790 Posts
my early red head dart is pulling my 38" span mamselle around free flight on low throttle very easily so you should have no problem with the tipsy.
just dont fill the tank unless you have rc - wonderfulcats 2nd video shows my dart powered mamselle flying on the last 1/8th" bottom of tank here at 8 mins into video http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1781953

john
John38 is online now Find More Posts by John38
Last edited by John38; Dec 09, 2012 at 10:50 AM.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 02:39 AM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Nov 2010
618 Posts
I'm glad to hear the dart will be powerful enough, I'm going for rudder only, using a Controlaire Mule single channel set converted to 2.4Ghz with one of Phil Green's terrific little actuator emulator set-ups. I've covered the tail surfaces and primed the fuselage, so hopefully I'll make the deadline! I've never used doculam before, It's so easy to apply and get a neat finish, I'm a definite convert! KBO! (hehe)