SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 28, 2012, 01:02 PM
Hot glue held together by foam
United States, WA, Vancouver
Joined Aug 2010
2,653 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by electricrc68 View Post
Yep i will see if i can! Too hot to maiden it today though. Im also running into another problem...when i start up the motor, the plane pulls down toward the ground...why does it do this? I tried giving it more up thrust, but its still doing this.
When you start up the motor , where are you holding the plane ? If you're holding it on the bottom of the fuselage then the thrust line is several inches higher than the pivot point ( your hand holding the plane ) and that would cause it to pull the nose down . Try holding it by the nose right behind the motor .
balsa or carbon is online now Find More Posts by balsa or carbon
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 28, 2012, 01:09 PM
The Sweet Aroma of 92 Octane
United States, PA, Downingtown
Joined May 2011
4,407 Posts
Yep its a little better now that im holding it at the nose near the motor. Thanks! So i should launch it while holding it there as well right?
electricrc68 is offline Find More Posts by electricrc68
Old Jul 28, 2012, 02:49 PM
Joined May 2011
4,407 Posts
Well i tried to fly it, but then it still hit the ground..broke the prop...good thing i have another....looks like its still pulling down. Anything else i can do? Should i give it more up thrust?
Old Jul 28, 2012, 04:13 PM
Joined Aug 2010
2,653 Posts
Quote:
Well i tried to fly it, but then it still hit the ground..broke the prop...good thing i have another....looks like its still pulling down. Anything else i can do? Should i give it more up thrust?
How much up elevator are you starting with ? Start with about 1/4" up elevator trim . And your CG is at 14" back from the nose ? Show me some pictures if you can .
Old Jul 28, 2012, 04:15 PM
Joined Aug 2010
2,653 Posts
Quote:
Yep its a little better now that im holding it at the nose near the motor. Thanks! So i should launch it while holding it there as well right?
It should be OK to hold the fuselage underneath when launching . If there is some place with tall grass or weeds where you can test fly that might help save the plane from damage . Maybe try just gliding it at first to see if it noses down - if it does , move your battery back a LITTLE at a time until it glides nicely . Then try flying it with power .
Last edited by balsa or carbon; Jul 28, 2012 at 04:34 PM.
Old Jul 28, 2012, 05:55 PM
Joined May 2011
4,407 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by balsa or carbon View Post
How much up elevator are you starting with ? Start with about 1/4" up elevator trim . And your CG is at 14" back from the nose ? Show me some pictures if you can .
Yep i have all that down. Let me get some pics and i will upload them.
Old Jul 28, 2012, 06:04 PM
Joined May 2011
4,407 Posts
Okay i got some pics...i really think i messed up in the construction part. I mean i am awesome at the design, but then when it comes to building it, i tend to measure things wrong and i can NEVER for the life of me keep that knife going straight.
Old Jul 28, 2012, 06:49 PM
Joined Aug 2010
2,653 Posts
Quote:
Okay i got some pics...i really think i messed up in the construction part. I mean i am awesome at the design, but then when it comes to building it, i tend to measure things wrong and i can NEVER for the life of me keep that knife going straight.
Based on seeing where your 2200mah battery is located and your motor being all the way up in front it looks to me like it might be nose heavy .
Go ahead and put the motor back so it comes straight off the nose - no up or down thrust . Then put some more velcro along the bottom edge of the fuselage behind the battery so you can adjust the battery position , and then try setting your CG on top of two chair backs like I did in the photos . Next , if possible take it someplace where there is tall grass or weeds and glide test it ( with everything turned on so you have rudder and elevator function - but NO THROTTLE ) . If it still wants to nose down , move the battery back A LITTLE at a time until it glides nicely . Once it glides well , then try to fly it with power .
Old Jul 28, 2012, 07:13 PM
Joined May 2011
4,407 Posts
Okay thanks. So the motor should be hanging off the airframe with the stick mount the only thing on the actual airframe? Then the battery along the very bottom behind the battery?
Old Jul 28, 2012, 07:36 PM
Joined Aug 2010
2,653 Posts
Quote:
Okay thanks. So the motor should be hanging off the airframe with the stick mount the only thing on the actual airframe? Then the battery along the very bottom behind the battery?
Yes to 1st question . Put the VELCRO along the very bottom behind the current battery position , then you can move the battery back if needed to get the CG for a good glide . The airframe should glide ( with a little up elevator trim ) just like the paper airplane it looks like .
Old Jul 28, 2012, 07:40 PM
Joined May 2011
4,407 Posts
Okay thanks. But when you say behind the current battery position, do you mean by the nose? Sorry if im interpreting all of this wrong.
Old Jul 28, 2012, 08:08 PM
Joined Aug 2010
2,653 Posts
Quote:
Okay thanks. But when you say behind the current battery position, do you mean by the nose? Sorry if im interpreting all of this wrong.
The position where you have it in the picture . I suspect the battery is going to have to be moved behind ( towards the tail ) where you have it in the picture so that's where you want to put the velcro .
Old Jul 28, 2012, 08:10 PM
Joined May 2011
4,407 Posts
Ah okay thanks. I will upload another picture when im ready.
Old Jul 28, 2012, 08:34 PM
Joined May 2011
4,407 Posts
Okay what do you think of it now? Look good, or should i do something different?
Old Jul 28, 2012, 11:28 PM
Joined Aug 2010
2,653 Posts
Quote:
Okay what do you think of it now? Look good, or should i do something different?
In that first photo it looks like the wings droop down a bit going to the back . Can you show me a photo taken from the back?