SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Jan 23, 2013, 09:34 PM
Registered User
Ad_Astra's Avatar
Joined Dec 2012
308 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by balsa or carbon View Post
I think a full size SE would be fine for that motor if you build light . I read somewhere here on RC groups " build to fly , not to crash " , in other words , don't add a bunch of reinforcement rods , tape , etc. Keep the electronics towards the front and use a light battery ( 800mah - 1000mah )
Hey, I eventually got FAT BOTTOM SUE to fly... but I had to log time on SUE, SUE TOO, and other craft before I could do it.

FAT BOTTOM SUE had tape on ever surface... reinforcing rods... DUCT tape leading edges... and a 2200 mAh battery. I also used enough hot melt to glue together a Yugo.

She flew, but it wasn't easy. Then again, my flying sucks so much that I probably couldn't even fly a Bixler.

Ad Astra, maybe

Dan
Ad_Astra is offline Find More Posts by Ad_Astra
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 24, 2013, 03:35 AM
If I build it, it will fly
United States, NY, East Rochester
Joined Jan 2012
710 Posts
My IWA SE was hard to fly also, needed A LOT of up-trim (had some naturally built into the rod adjustments & on the TX), just a tank with wings. LOVE the half size though, and full size with lighter gear.

~psguardian
psguardian is offline Find More Posts by psguardian
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 01:14 PM
Hot glue held together by foam
United States, WA, Vancouver
Joined Aug 2010
2,726 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by psguardian View Post
My IWA SE was hard to fly also, needed A LOT of up-trim (had some naturally built into the rod adjustments & on the TX), just a tank with wings. LOVE the half size though, and full size with lighter gear.

~psguardian
My offer of using one of mine for practice still stands psguardian . The last time I flew one at PIR there was no wind and it LITERALLY flew itself - all I did was give it throttle and toss it . At about 300 feet backed the throttle off to 50% and set the TX on the ground . After a few minutes I shut the throttle down and it landed itself . Never touched the right stick !

Al
balsa or carbon is offline Find More Posts by balsa or carbon
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 01:26 PM
If I build it, it will fly
United States, NY, East Rochester
Joined Jan 2012
710 Posts
LOL that is quality! I would expect no less from one that is properly set up. Mine was not, I admit that. I am grateful for the offer, & maybe, but for now I'm getting ready to glide test my latest creation & then log some SIM time. Bro-inlaw staying fri/sat at our place & I want him to come out for the maiden (probly SAT morning @ PIR). He was the natural with Slims 1/2 size j-bug.

~psguardian
psguardian is offline Find More Posts by psguardian
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 02, 2013, 12:33 PM
Registered User
United States, IA, Keosauqua
Joined Sep 2010
283 Posts
My SE only turns left

I finally finished my SE and winds were light so tried to maiden it this morning.

I made it with elevons/no rudder and it flys nicely but will only turn in VERY large turns to the left. I would like to leave it with elevons and add a rudder but can't figure out how to set up my Tx.

My TX is a FlySky 9X with original software. Anyone know how to set it up?

Thanks,

Bob
Bob A is offline Find More Posts by Bob A
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 02, 2013, 01:35 PM
Hot glue held together by foam
United States, WA, Vancouver
Joined Aug 2010
2,726 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob A View Post
I finally finished my SE and winds were light so tried to maiden it this morning.

I made it with elevons/no rudder and it flys nicely but will only turn in VERY large turns to the left. I would like to leave it with elevons and add a rudder but can't figure out how to set up my Tx.

My TX is a FlySky 9X with original software. Anyone know how to set it up?

Thanks,

Bob
Hi Bob ,

I'm assuming your transmitter is mode 2 - throttle/rudder on the left stick , elevator/aileron on the right stick ?

Do you want to set it up so turning is done only with the right stick on the transmitter , or can you do the turning with the left stick ?

If you can do the turning with the left stick , just plug the rudder servo into the rudder channel .

If you want to do the turning with the right stick , set up a programmable mix with aileron as master and rudder as slave , so when you input right aileron on the transmitter the rudder also turns right , and when you input left aileron the rudder also turns left .

I don't have that radio , but Ad Astra ( Dan ) does , I'm sure he'd be happy to show you how to do that mix , you could send him a PM .
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=451239

If you can , show us photos/video of your SE !

Al
balsa or carbon is offline Find More Posts by balsa or carbon
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 02, 2013, 02:57 PM
Registered User
United States, IA, Keosauqua
Joined Sep 2010
283 Posts
Thanks Al--I got it to work by poking around somehow with dual rates on the rudder but it only seems to work with the dual rates for rudder "on".

I will take a picture later--got to leave now.

Bob
Bob A is offline Find More Posts by Bob A
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 02, 2013, 03:12 PM
Hot glue held together by foam
United States, WA, Vancouver
Joined Aug 2010
2,726 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob A View Post
Thanks Al--I got it to work by poking around somehow with dual rates on the rudder but it only seems to work with the dual rates for rudder "on".

I will take a picture later--got to leave now.

Bob

Cool !
One more thing you could do is make the elevons bigger so you could fly it bank and yank . Here's a photo of Nightstone's SE with larger full span elevons .

http://static.rcgroups.net/forums/at...DiamondSE1.jpg

Al
balsa or carbon is offline Find More Posts by balsa or carbon
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 02, 2013, 04:14 PM
Registered User
United States, IA, Keosauqua
Joined Sep 2010
283 Posts
Here's pictures

Made from $tree foam with paper still on & 1300kv 24g blue wonder. I opened up the slots for the prop to allow using a 9 x 5 prop then bridged the gap in the fuse with a skewer. AUW is just over 12 oz. with 3s-800 Lipo.
Wind lets up a little I will find out if it works. Should be OK--my first attempt was with an 8 x 4 prop and it flew OK as long as I was happy with ONLY very gradual left turns.

Bob
Bob A is offline Find More Posts by Bob A
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 03, 2013, 12:06 AM
Hot glue held together by foam
United States, WA, Vancouver
Joined Aug 2010
2,726 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob A View Post
Made from $tree foam with paper still on & 1300kv 24g blue wonder. I opened up the slots for the prop to allow using a 9 x 5 prop then bridged the gap in the fuse with a skewer. AUW is just over 12 oz. with 3s-800 Lipo.
Wind lets up a little I will find out if it works. Should be OK--my first attempt was with an 8 x 4 prop and it flew OK as long as I was happy with ONLY very gradual left turns.

Bob
Looks good , thanks for posting the photos ! Are you going to be able to shoot a video ?

Al
balsa or carbon is offline Find More Posts by balsa or carbon
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 03, 2013, 01:24 PM
Registered User
United States, IA, Keosauqua
Joined Sep 2010
283 Posts
Well, my "re-maiden" didn't go as well as I hoped.--a breeze came up but my battery was charged so I tried anyway. Adding the rudder really enables turns,but I still am not very good at left stick rudder. Each of 3 tries was progressively better-the last attempt lasted a couple of minutes until I got too far downwind and lost orientation--resulted in a long walk and minor repairs to the scrunched-up nose. Tomorrow is forcast to be light winds so I will attempt a "re-re-maiden"

For my next try I will use 60% dual rates on rudder and elevons, also changed the CG to about 14" from 14-1/2.

I don't have a way to take a video but if I keep flying the way I have they would be short or I would need a telescopic lense.

Bob
Bob A is offline Find More Posts by Bob A
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 05, 2013, 10:08 AM
Registered User
United States, IA, Keosauqua
Joined Sep 2010
283 Posts
It flies but sure has a mean streak!

Well, I got it to fly the way it should--I had to set rudder trim quite a bit-(about 3/16) to the right and move the CG back to 14-1/2 in. Now it will turn gradually left or right with elevons only. If I use the rudder, it turns much sharper but I have to use a little opposite elevon to prevent excessive "tipping".

Got in 3 good flights, then managed to stick the tip of my "social" finger into the prop when I launched. Between trying to fly the plane and inspecting the "digital damage" I lost track of orientation and had to let the plane down wherever it wanted to land. So, back to the house to stop the bleeding, then hopped in the truck and went to recover remains. It came down in the far end of my 45 acre hay field with no damage-just a little dirt on the nose.

Anyway, it flys well and I learned that I need to work on my launching technique. Also my typing--it sure is hard to type with that wad of bandage on my finger!

Bob
Bob A is offline Find More Posts by Bob A
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 05, 2013, 11:55 AM
Registered User
slim1357's Avatar
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Dec 2010
536 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob A View Post
Well, I got it to fly the way it should--I had to set rudder trim quite a bit-(about 3/16) to the right and move the CG back to 14-1/2 in. Now it will turn gradually left or right with elevons only. If I use the rudder, it turns much sharper but I have to use a little opposite elevon to prevent excessive "tipping".

Got in 3 good flights, then managed to stick the tip of my "social" finger into the prop when I launched. Between trying to fly the plane and inspecting the "digital damage" I lost track of orientation and had to let the plane down wherever it wanted to land. So, back to the house to stop the bleeding, then hopped in the truck and went to recover remains. It came down in the far end of my 45 acre hay field with no damage-just a little dirt on the nose.

Anyway, it flys well and I learned that I need to work on my launching technique. Also my typing--it sure is hard to type with that wad of bandage on my finger!

Bob
I did the same thing when i launched my SE into the wind at the beach last summer. Got a nice little scar down the side of my left index finger. Mid mount motors require a little more attention when launching.
slim1357 is offline Find More Posts by slim1357
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 05, 2013, 01:28 PM
Hot glue held together by foam
United States, WA, Vancouver
Joined Aug 2010
2,726 Posts
Hi Bob ,

Having rudder on the bottom induces yaw AND roll in the same direction , which makes the SE's tiny little rudder very responsive . If you can reduce the travel and add some expo it might make it easier .

My preferred launching technique for deltas is like in this video


SEMAIDEN (1 min 31 sec)


Al
balsa or carbon is offline Find More Posts by balsa or carbon
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 06, 2013, 09:32 AM
Registered User
United States, IA, Keosauqua
Joined Sep 2010
283 Posts
Yeah, I launch my Divinity flying wing kinda like that using "frisbee" type toss. This plane is willing to fly almost out of my hand without tossing so I will try that next time the wind lets up. I have rudder throw at 60% now and it has helped--will probably drop it down a little more. Might even have to try just setting it down on the ground and see if there's enough thrust to take off straight up! (From a safe distance of course)

Bob
Bob A is offline Find More Posts by Bob A
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion AWESOME landing gear for DJI F550, easy build and totally sturdy, all parts fit great jasper7821 Multirotor Talk 15 Apr 23, 2012 02:52 PM
Discussion Homemade "rectangular" flying wing, flies great,lightweight,easy to build.watch video avlisogeid Flying Wings 25 Nov 05, 2010 08:46 AM
The SoarStar Foamy from Super Flying Models mrm1 Foamies (Kits) 81 Feb 10, 2010 05:22 PM
Rave Great morning of flying with the Easy Star HillRf Electric Plane Talk 11 Jul 16, 2008 07:03 AM
Discussion 3-4 ch easy flying Foamy suitable for light winds blxpy Foamies (Scratchbuilt) 2 Jun 07, 2008 08:05 AM