HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 02, 2013, 06:39 PM
Hot glue held together by foam
United States, WA, Vancouver
Joined Aug 2010
2,903 Posts
Increased wing area SE

Just made an SE with increased wing area ala Nightstone/psguardian . With an 1800mah 3s it's a real nice , slow floater ! And I like having a little extra room on the keel .

Sorry for the lousy video , it's done with a photo camera that also shoots video - has a small view finder . Saving up for a GoPro !

Large SUPER EASY RC paper airplane (2 min 18 sec)
balsa or carbon is offline Find More Posts by balsa or carbon
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 02, 2013, 06:47 PM
If I build it, it will fly
United States, NY, East Rochester
Joined Jan 2012
712 Posts
I can't wait to get mine in the air.. Might happen tomorrow afternoon.

~psguardian
psguardian is offline Find More Posts by psguardian
Old Jan 02, 2013, 07:24 PM
Joined Aug 2010
2,903 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by psguardian View Post
I can't wait to get mine in the air.. Might happen tomorrow afternoon.

~psguardian
Be sure to set up low rates and some expo for the rudder - it's REAL touchy !
Old Jan 02, 2013, 07:36 PM
Joined Jan 2012
712 Posts
Did you reduce the dihedral like I did? I think my peak was only 3.5"-4" off the table. Where did you put CoG on that one?

~psguardian
Old Jan 02, 2013, 07:44 PM
Joined Aug 2010
2,903 Posts
Quote:
Did you reduce the dihedral like I did? I think my peak was only 3.5"-4" off the table. Where did you put CoG on that one?

~psguardian
Yeah , mild dihedral . It still self-rights just fine . CG is just ahead of the prop slot .

Did you see my other post on the SE step by step thread ? I have an extra Y harness if you want it . If you're used to steering with your right thumb , I would stick with that .
Old Jan 02, 2013, 08:02 PM
Joined Jan 2012
712 Posts
Glad the milder dihedral won't make it harder to handle. I'm fine with left stick rudder, thank you for the offer though. I'm starting to give myself whiplash going thread to thread hehe, but this plane is worth it.

~psguardian
Old Jan 04, 2013, 08:48 AM
Canada, ON, Merrickville-Wolford
Joined Jun 2012
835 Posts
One trick I used when I was getting ready to transition from a two channel glider to one with ailerons was to mix aileron to rudder at 100% (for the RE glider). Then either stick worked for rudder so I could work on getting used to using my left stick, but the right one was still there for old times sake (aka emergencies).

cheers,
Andrew
Banjo5 is offline Find More Posts by Banjo5
Old Jan 04, 2013, 12:33 PM
Joined Jan 2012
712 Posts
Since i'm doing elevon mixing between the elevator & aileron channels, putting aileron at 000/000 I don't think this will work for me, though I will test it out.

I put her up yesterday, too windy... Don't argue with mother nature when you're flying a cordless kite. She wins almost every time LoL. $2-$3 worth of airframe bit the dust, damage looked less at the field than when I got it home. Might be salvageable, if not oh well hehe $3 was worth the two 5sec arguments with mother nature. If for nothing other than a cheap lesson about calm weather airframes vs more 'resistant' airframes.

Repairing or rebuilding will happen, a calm weather day will be selected for the maiden.

~psguardian
Old Jan 04, 2013, 01:05 PM
Joined Aug 2010
2,903 Posts
Quote:
Since i'm doing elevon mixing between the elevator & aileron channels, putting aileron at 000/000 I don't think this will work for me, though I will test it out.

I put her up yesterday, too windy... Don't argue with mother nature when you're flying a cordless kite. She wins almost every time LoL. $2-$3 worth of airframe bit the dust, damage looked less at the field than when I got it home. Might be salvageable, if not oh well hehe $3 was worth the two 5sec arguments with mother nature. If for nothing other than a cheap lesson about calm weather airframes vs more 'resistant' airframes.

Repairing or rebuilding will happen, a calm weather day will be selected for the maiden.

~psguardian
psguardian , since the GSE is meant to be a ( disposable ) practice plane , if you're going to build a new airframe I would leave off the tape covering . Tape over paper just adds unnecessary weight , the paper keeps the foam board stiff enough . I just put some tape on the keel bottom edge for ground contact .
Old Jan 04, 2013, 01:41 PM
Joined Jan 2012
712 Posts
A fine point... I'm soo worried about moisture I over weigh the frame... Tape I use does weigh almost as much as the paper... Rebuild it is, once I get more glue sticks LoL.

~psguardian
Old Jan 04, 2013, 01:57 PM
Joined Aug 2010
2,903 Posts
Quote:
A fine point... I'm soo worried about moisture I over weigh the frame... Tape I use does weigh almost as much as the paper... Rebuild it is, once I get more glue sticks LoL.

~psguardian
Yeah , I noticed on my GSE that when it lands on wet grass only the keel and the front 6" or 8" of a wing come into contact with the wet grass .
Old Jan 04, 2013, 05:06 PM
Joined Jan 2012
712 Posts
No hope of glue sticks today, only 2 left.... REPAIR!!!

peeled bottom of both wings, trimmed fubar portion of keel off, installed servos through foam rather than on foam, added up-trim via control shortening control rods, all better now.

New AUW - 717gr... 25oz!!! I made it!!!

And today is much calmer than yesterday... Maiden maybe this afternoon, maybe tomorrow morning, we'll see how it goes.

~psguardian
Old Jan 04, 2013, 05:35 PM
Joined Aug 2010
2,903 Posts
Quote:
No hope of glue sticks today, only 2 left.... REPAIR!!!

peeled bottom of both wings, trimmed fubar portion of keel off, installed servos through foam rather than on foam, added up-trim via control shortening control rods, all better now.

New AUW - 717gr... 25oz!!! I made it!!!

And today is much calmer than yesterday... Maiden maybe this afternoon, maybe tomorrow morning, we'll see how it goes.

~psguardian
Excellent ! Good luck on re-maiden !
Old Jan 04, 2013, 10:08 PM
Joined Jan 2012
712 Posts
Took it out to PIR. Nice n calm. Had up elevator built into the rod length but was still nose heavy. Came in to reposition Batt & knocked motor off. Hot glue & packing tape don't get along LoL. Going to cut tape & paper off of mounting area when I get more glue.

But it did fly a small circuit before popping the mount off.

~psguardian
Old Jan 04, 2013, 11:03 PM
Joined Aug 2010
2,903 Posts
" But it did fly a small circuit before popping the mount off."

So how did it fly other than being nose heavy ?