Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Dec 11, 2012, 05:22 AM
Geezer
Rickochet's Avatar
Central Kentucky
Joined Oct 2006
3,535 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by psguardian View Post
Should be a hellofa floater.
~psguardian
I am guessing so. I really wonder if I need 200 watts of motor as suggested? I would really like to make this light with a smaller motor and battery. The basic airframe as shown is 130 grams. I plan to use either 5g or 9g servos, HK orange rx. I normally go with 100 watts per lb. on an aircraft like this but I have never dealt with a delta type wing config.
Rickochet is offline Find More Posts by Rickochet
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 14, 2012, 03:38 PM
Registered User
United States, OH, Pleasant Hill
Joined Nov 2012
22 Posts
Built my second SE, this time with full width elevons and I love it. Took a little bit of getting use to the quicker roll rate, but it definitely has a quicker response that I enjoy. I think this will be my first camera ship (once I get a camera). I left quite a bit of dihydral in the wings so she is still a hands off stable flyer.
Anyway, thanks to all on this thread for all your help and guidance.

Lincoln
Linc75 is offline Find More Posts by Linc75
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 04:15 PM
Hot glue held together by foam
United States, WA, Vancouver
Joined Aug 2010
2,385 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linc75 View Post
Built my second SE, this time with full width elevons and I love it. Took a little bit of getting use to the quicker roll rate, but it definitely has a quicker response that I enjoy. I think this will be my first camera ship (once I get a camera). I left quite a bit of dihydral in the wings so she is still a hands off stable flyer.
Anyway, thanks to all on this thread for all your help and guidance.

Lincoln
Awesome ! Going for GoPro ?

Nightstone also built an SE for Aerial Photography , here's the post .

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...0#post22688390

He made it with more wing area by using two pieces of DTF for the wings , and making the cuts like this

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...mentid=5144834


Al
balsa or carbon is online now Find More Posts by balsa or carbon
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2012, 02:21 PM
Registered User
Ad_Astra's Avatar
Joined Dec 2012
308 Posts
Foam board weights

Not all foam boards are equal

I did a little weighing and measuring, followed by rithmatikin.

Black DTFB 0.0303 g/sq cm
White DTFB 0.0307 g/sq cm
Blue DTFB (one side blue) 0.0322 g/sq cm
Elmers White Foam Board 20x30 sheet 0.0625 g/sq cm
Elmers White Foam Board 32x40 sheet 0.0614 g/sq cm

and as a comparison, one of those corrugated plastic lawn signs with a political slogan (lighter than usual because hot air?)

Plastic corrugated - 18 x 24 sign, 0.0799 g/sq cm



If you want to work in grams/square inch (ouch, ouch, ouch ) just multiply the g/sq cm by 6.451 . If you want to work in ounces/square yard you are on your own.

HOWEVER, if you want to work in scruples/acre, I'll help !!! I love the scruple, furlong, fortnight system of measurements. It's even WORSE than the pound, inch, day system.

Ad Astra
Ad_Astra is offline Find More Posts by Ad_Astra
Last edited by Ad_Astra; Dec 23, 2012 at 02:23 PM. Reason: cleaning up sig figs
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 06:34 AM
If I build it, it will fly
United States, NY, East Rochester
Joined Jan 2012
699 Posts
I flew Slims 1/2 size today... 5/8 throttle & a 300mah 2s got me about 10min (maybe more?) in the air, I came down for a new battery but it was still going strong. Going to build one of Nightstones bigger ones to lug around my weighty 3s 2200mah 40c bricks. They weigh 204gr but they're all I have for now & I want to fly dang it!

20min of searching this thread turned into 3hrs of construction.... airframe done. now a nap before work lol. Hopefully I'll move electronics over soon.

Airframe - 322gr
Electronics - 200gr
Lipo - 203gr

AUW - 725gr (25oz)
Wing area - 830"sq

~psguardian
psguardian is offline Find More Posts by psguardian
Last edited by psguardian; Dec 30, 2012 at 06:41 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 08:13 AM
Geezer
Rickochet's Avatar
Central Kentucky
Joined Oct 2006
3,535 Posts
What size wire are youse guys using for the control surfaces?
Rickochet is offline Find More Posts by Rickochet
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 10:48 AM
Hot glue held together by foam
United States, WA, Vancouver
Joined Aug 2010
2,385 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by psguardian View Post
I flew Slims 1/2 size today... 5/8 throttle & a 300mah 2s got me about 10min (maybe more?) in the air, I came down for a new battery but it was still going strong. Going to build one of Nightstones bigger ones to lug around my weighty 3s 2200mah 40c bricks. They weigh 204gr but they're all I have for now & I want to fly dang it!

20min of searching this thread turned into 3hrs of construction.... airframe done. now a nap before work lol. Hopefully I'll move electronics over soon.

Airframe - 322gr
Electronics - 200gr
Lipo - 203gr

AUW - 725gr (25oz)
Wing area - 830"sq

~psguardian
Awesome ! Your Giant Super Easy will be great for getting lots of practice flying . Can't wait to see it fly !

Al
balsa or carbon is online now Find More Posts by balsa or carbon
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 10:52 AM
Hot glue held together by foam
United States, WA, Vancouver
Joined Aug 2010
2,385 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickochet View Post
What size wire are youse guys using for the control surfaces?
I use 1mm music wire for the Z bend and L bend , carbon rod or bamboo skewer for the pushrod .

Al
balsa or carbon is online now Find More Posts by balsa or carbon
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 04:40 AM
If I build it, it will fly
United States, NY, East Rochester
Joined Jan 2012
699 Posts
Work in progress. I took the standard SE & went 4" from the pointed corners, all of them. The result is an 8" wide 'nose' & squared off wing tips. ALSO... about 115sq. in. more than stock per side! I'm hoping the increased wing area will hold up my hulking electronics well.


Laying everything out, CoG 14" from Nose (not pictured: the rudder servo)


Slot cut 11" from rear end, 2"x12" & 4.5" down into the keel. 10x5 APC-E will have 1" clearance left/right/bottom & about 3/4" front/back.

Glue gun is hot... gotta go.

~psguardian
psguardian is offline Find More Posts by psguardian
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 12:43 PM
Hot glue held together by foam
United States, WA, Vancouver
Joined Aug 2010
2,385 Posts
GIANT SE looks good ! Not much rain expected in the next few days ( cold , though ) , should be OK for maiden !

Al
balsa or carbon is online now Find More Posts by balsa or carbon
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 04:24 PM
If I build it, it will fly
United States, NY, East Rochester
Joined Jan 2012
699 Posts
After my evening work session (this morning) the GSE now has a Turnigy 2217-16t 1050kv pusher spinning a 10x5-E, Hextronik MG-14 elevator servos for the two 2"x8" elevators, & a Corona 939mg rudder servo for the 2"x6" rudder. Horrible overkill I know, but I've what I've got LoL.

I did the CoG testing so that I could use either my 204gr 3s 2200mah 40c lipos, OR the 101gr 3s 1300mah 25c lipos I'm planning on buying later.

Tonight will likely see the installation of control horns, rod guides, rods & 3m super lock adhesive strips that I use for ESC/RX/Lipo. Then it's maiden time!

Web-o-calc & drive calc disagree on the output of this motor/prop combo, WoC says 40mph & 31.7oz thrust, while DC says 41mph & 40.3oz thrust. So either way slow & strong... Maybe some prop hanging in my future LoL.

~psguardian
psguardian is offline Find More Posts by psguardian
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 04:52 PM
Hot glue held together by foam
United States, WA, Vancouver
Joined Aug 2010
2,385 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by psguardian View Post
After my evening work session (this morning) the GSE now has a Turnigy 2217-16t 1050kv pusher spinning a 10x5-E, Hextronik MG-14 elevator servos for the two 2"x8" elevators, & a Corona 939mg rudder servo for the 2"x6" rudder. Horrible overkill I know, but I've what I've got LoL.

I did the CoG testing so that I could use either my 204gr 3s 2200mah 40c lipos, OR the 101gr 3s 1300mah 25c lipos I'm planning on buying later.

Tonight will likely see the installation of control horns, rod guides, rods & 3m super lock adhesive strips that I use for ESC/RX/Lipo. Then it's maiden time!

Web-o-calc & drive calc disagree on the output of this motor/prop combo, WoC says 40mph & 31.7oz thrust, while DC says 41mph & 40.3oz thrust. So either way slow & strong... Maybe some prop hanging in my future LoL.

~psguardian
Ok I think we need to call it MONSTER SE ! Maybe you can paint a monster face on it ! Can't wait to see that sucker fly !

Where do you get the 3M super lock ? I've been wanting to try it .

Al
balsa or carbon is online now Find More Posts by balsa or carbon
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 05:30 PM
If I build it, it will fly
United States, NY, East Rochester
Joined Jan 2012
699 Posts
I get it at Fred Meyers. I guess the stuff is called dual lock &/or super lock. Basically it's a tight pattern of fingers with a ball at the end, they interlock well but will release on impact if there is enough force.


This is what it looks like, but mine is clear & came in 4" strips instead of a roll.

~psguardian
psguardian is offline Find More Posts by psguardian
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 05:34 PM
Hot glue held together by foam
United States, WA, Vancouver
Joined Aug 2010
2,385 Posts
Thanks , I'll look for it at Fred's .
balsa or carbon is online now Find More Posts by balsa or carbon
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 05:49 PM
If I build it, it will fly
United States, NY, East Rochester
Joined Jan 2012
699 Posts
I will be ordering other props along with the smaller lipos, because the 10x5" will draw ~20a @ wot.

9x4.5" would yield ~40mph ~25oz (~14a)
8x4" would yield ~35mph ~20oz (~8.5a)

The ??x6" props are all showing speeds in the 50s & I want this one to be slow, but that 8x4" makes me worry about not having enough thrust or speed on reserve.

~psguardian
psguardian is offline Find More Posts by psguardian
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion AWESOME landing gear for DJI F550, easy build and totally sturdy, all parts fit great jasper7821 Multirotor Talk 15 Apr 23, 2012 01:52 PM
Discussion Homemade "rectangular" flying wing, flies great,lightweight,easy to build.watch video avlisogeid Flying Wings 25 Nov 05, 2010 07:46 AM
The SoarStar Foamy from Super Flying Models mrm1 Foamies (Kits) 81 Feb 10, 2010 04:22 PM
Rave Great morning of flying with the Easy Star HillRf Electric Plane Talk 11 Jul 16, 2008 06:03 AM
Discussion 3-4 ch easy flying Foamy suitable for light winds blxpy Foamies (Scratchbuilt) 2 Jun 07, 2008 07:05 AM