HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 30, 2012, 09:27 PM
Hot glue held together by foam
United States, WA, Vancouver
Joined Aug 2010
2,522 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougHW View Post
I am a Rookie. I find I am really enjoying building foamy planes and my brother just gave me a beginners plane. My problem I am afraid flying and crashing a $125 plane. This plane I can fly and practice and then move up to more expensive beginners planes. Thank you for the plan and the details.
Hi Doug ,

The SUPER EASY is great for practicing flying without the stress of worrying about crashing an expensive plane . Let me know if you have any questions during the build , I'll be glad to help ! And if possible , show us some photos/videos when you're done .

Al
balsa or carbon is offline Find More Posts by balsa or carbon
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 02, 2012, 11:57 PM
United States, OH, Pleasant Hill
Joined Nov 2012
22 Posts
Here are 2 attempts to fly the super easy. The first is the maiden flight, it was about 25F with 20mph winds. (Bad idea but I had the "fever"). I have since had quite a few ~15 minute flights.

Super Easy R/C aircraft scratch built maiden (0 min 38 sec)

The second when I switched out the 8 x 3.8 for a 9 x 3.8 and decided to try VTO. It is also my first attempt at using a mixing cable for elevons. And now know that elevons really need to be enlarged. This crash broke the motor stick through the foam, so this airframe is trashed (the glue repairs are starting to add up) and a new one almost complete. This time w/full width elevons.

Super Easy R/C A/C VTO attempt (0 min 12 sec)

Here is a successful flight, I only lasted about 8 minutes until my fingers went numb.
Super Easy scratchbuilt success (2 min 23 sec)

Thanks,
Lincoln
Linc75 is offline Find More Posts by Linc75
Old Dec 03, 2012, 12:25 AM
Joined Aug 2010
2,522 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linc75 View Post
Here are 2 attempts to fly the super easy. The first is the maiden flight, it was about 25F with 20mph winds. (Bad idea but I had the "fever"). I have since had quite a few ~15 minute flights.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLoga2bWOdA&feature=plcp

The second when I switched out the 8 x 3.8 for a 9 x 3.8 and decided to try VTO. It is also my first attempt at using a mixing cable for elevons. And now know that elevons really need to be enlarged. This crash broke the motor stick through the foam, so this airframe is trashed (the glue repairs are starting to add up) and a new one almost complete. This time w/full width elevons.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b52dhInAU_g&feature=plcp

Here is a successful flight, I only lasted about 8 minutes until my fingers went numb.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BL7s6B0jg3g

Thanks,
Lincoln
Awesome ! Thanks for posting the videos . Looking forward to seeing your jet videos !

Here's a solution for cold weather flying

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ap_Ready_.html

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...er_System.html

Or better yet , buy or make a micro and fly indoors in a gym , church sanctuary or social hall , warehouse , skating rink , etc.

Al
Last edited by balsa or carbon; Dec 03, 2012 at 11:01 AM.
Old Dec 03, 2012, 02:31 PM
United States, OH, Pleasant Hill
Joined Nov 2012
22 Posts
The cold weather gear is definitely on my Christmas list now. And the 1/2 size is on my exponentially growing build list.

I'm almost finished with the second S.E. and I have a question. Has anybody else had to gusset their wings to the 'fuselage'? On my first one, every landing would separate the wings from the fuselage at some point. Just checking if I should preemptively go ahead and add the 2x4 foam gussets now.

Thanks,
Lincoln
Linc75 is offline Find More Posts by Linc75
Old Dec 03, 2012, 03:22 PM
Joined Aug 2010
2,522 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linc75 View Post
The cold weather gear is definitely on my Christmas list now. And the 1/2 size is on my exponentially growing build list.

I'm almost finished with the second S.E. and I have a question. Has anybody else had to gusset their wings to the 'fuselage'? On my first one, every landing would separate the wings from the fuselage at some point. Just checking if I should preemptively go ahead and add the 2x4 foam gussets now.

Thanks,
Lincoln

I don't know of anyone who's used gussets , but it sounds like a good idea if you're having problems with separation . At least one guy I know of put on wing struts .

So you're addicted to scratch building now , eh ? Welcome to the club !

This one is next on my list . http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1779446

Fun With The Blue Deltoid RC Model - HD (1 min 51 sec)

Al
Old Dec 03, 2012, 10:50 PM
Arkansas
Joined Dec 2004
117 Posts
Super Easy Variant, Sharper Delta

I have started working on a variant of the Super Easy. It is 30" L x 20" W with a 10" keel. It is going to be powered by a hexTronik 24gram Brushless Outrunner 1700kv with a GWS 8x4 prop on it. I am going to be using 9g servos, and a 3S 1000 mah lipo. It's isn't going to be much to look at, but I suspect it will haul tail considering the smalll motor and prop drive combination I am going to be using.

I have attached a few photos so you can see the general profile of the airframe.
eboggs59 is offline Find More Posts by eboggs59
Old Dec 04, 2012, 12:28 AM
Joined Aug 2010
2,522 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eboggs59 View Post
I have started working on a variant of the Super Easy. It is 30" L x 20" W with a 10" keel. It is going to be powered by a hexTronik 24gram Brushless Outrunner 1700kv with a GWS 8x4 prop on it. I am going to be using 9g servos, and a 3S 1000 mah lipo. It's isn't going to be much to look at, but I suspect it will haul tail considering the smalll motor and prop drive combination I am going to be using.

I have attached a few photos so you can see the general profile of the airframe.
Cool ! It looks like the classic "fast" paper airplane - the one I would make as a kid if I was going for distance . The original SUPER EASY is based on the "floaty" paper airplane I used to make as a kid . Be sure to post a video when it's done !

Al
Old Dec 07, 2012, 09:19 AM
Geezer
Central Kentucky
Joined Oct 2006
3,535 Posts
I have some of the original Blucor just begging to be turned into a Super Easy. I have a question about motor selection. I have been through the entire thread and it would appear that 200 watts is the suggested motor size. I think there has only been one built from blucor which might be lighter than the DT foam board builds.

So my questions are:

1 - What might be the minimum motor wattage? I don't need to go to warp speed but would like to do vertical take offs. I have a TP 2409 on my easy star that puts out about 180 watts with an APC 8x4 that might be a good fit.

2 - What is the max prop size?
Rickochet is offline Find More Posts by Rickochet
Old Dec 07, 2012, 09:57 AM
Joined Aug 2010
2,522 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickochet View Post
I have some of the original Blucor just begging to be turned into a Super Easy. I have a question about motor selection. I have been through the entire thread and it would appear that 200 watts is the suggested motor size. I think there has only been one built from blucor which might be lighter than the DT foam board builds.

So my questions are:

1 - What might be the minimum motor wattage? I don't need to go to warp speed but would like to do vertical take offs. I have a TP 2409 on my easy star that puts out about 180 watts with an APC 8x4 that might be a good fit.

2 - What is the max prop size?
Hi Rickochet ,

I haven't built with blucor myself , so I don't know what you would need to power an SE made from blucor . Praymond is the guy who made one from blucor , maybe he could help you with your question .

For prop size I always go with what's recommended ( or smaller ) for a motor .

If you do build an SE , could you post some photos/video when you're done ?

Al
Old Dec 07, 2012, 11:23 AM
Geezer
Central Kentucky
Joined Oct 2006
3,535 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by balsa or carbon View Post
Hi Rickochet ,
I haven't built with blucor myself , so I don't know what you would need to power an SE made from blucor . Praymond is the guy who made one from blucor , maybe he could help you with your question. For prop size I always go with what's recommended ( or smaller ) for a motor. If you do build an SE , could you post some photos/video when you're done ?
Al
I am definitely building one. It is just to cool looking not too. It looks like a great park flyer. I saw Praymond's build and was going to ask him but he hasn't posted here since Sept.. I have an autogyro project to finish up but should get started on the SE in a couple of days. The folks at my local park are going to have a few chuckles when they see a huge "paper" plane cruising the park.

One of the reasons I asked about max prop size is that I would like to make it as quiet as possiible and a slower turning larger prop is preferred. I do realize that the slot will create a bit more noise. I have some GWS EP1390 EP1147, and 1047 props and I have thought about shortening some of them. After I get the SE trimmed out I may do some prop experiments. I had also wondered about a 3 blader if I could find the right diameter and pitch.

I will post a pic when done. I don't have a video cam but have thinking about getting one. I was going to post somewhere in RCG for some "hat cam" recommendations but haven't yet. Which forum might have the best response?
Last edited by Rickochet; Dec 07, 2012 at 11:33 AM.
Old Dec 07, 2012, 12:14 PM
Joined Aug 2010
2,522 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickochet View Post
I am definitely building one. It is just to cool looking not too. It looks like a great park flyer. I saw Praymond's build and was going to ask him but he hasn't posted here since Sept.. I have an autogyro project to finish up but should get started on the SE in a couple of days. The folks at my local park are going to have a few chuckles when they see a huge "paper" plane cruising the park.

One of the reasons I asked about max prop size is that I would like to make it as quiet as possiible and a slower turning larger prop is preferred. I do realize that the slot will create a bit more noise. I have some GWS EP1390 EP1147, and 1047 props and I have thought about shortening some of them. After I get the SE trimmed out I may do some prop experiments. I had also wondered about a 3 blader if I could find the right diameter and pitch.

I will post a pic when done. I don't have a video cam but have thinking about getting one. I was going to post somewhere in RCG for some "hat cam" recommendations but haven't yet. Which forum might have the best response?
A three blade prop sounds like a good idea so you're not having to increase the size of the prop slot too much . If you do have to make a larger prop slot , you could enlarge the keel fuselage to 30" x maybe 11" or 12" in the back .

I'm not sure which forum would be good to get " hat-cam " recommendations , just try a few of the airplane/heli forums . Some digital photo cameras are video capable , is your digital photo camera capable of video ?

Al
Old Dec 07, 2012, 01:09 PM
Geezer
Central Kentucky
Joined Oct 2006
3,535 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by balsa or carbon View Post
A three blade prop sounds like a good idea so you're not having to increase the size of the prop slot too much . If you do have to make a larger prop slot , you could enlarge the keel fuselage to 30" x maybe 11" or 12" in the back .

I'm not sure which forum would be good to get " hat-cam " recommendations , just try a few of the airplane/heli forums . Some digital photo cameras are video capable , is your digital photo camera capable of video ?
Al
The digicam we have is too large for a hat cam. I'll do some poking around in another forum.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 04:17 PM
Geezer
Central Kentucky
Joined Oct 2006
3,535 Posts
Just a followup to the above post, I was surfing the web for mini video cams and saw one that looked familiar. I checked up on a shelf and I found an MD 80 mini cam I was going to mount on an Easy Star but never got a "round tuit." It is now cap mounted and ready to roll.

I finally got started on the SE today. The parts are very easy to measure and cut out thanks to the pics and dimensions posted in the other thread. I used some original Bluecor and a hot glue gun. There a some pretty long seams so I used my bigger glue gun that takes 10" sticks. I had planned on a 7.5" dihedral and taped it to the table at that height. After I finished it ended up at 6.5". The most difficult part for me was gluing down the fuselage. To make sure I got it straight I measured the dihedral at 42. So I cut a couple of foam braces at 111 which would be the proper angle between the wing and the fuselage. I tacked down the fuse in a couple places and held the braces in while the glue hardened. That held fuse in place along with a few "T" pins from the underside. I then finished "welding" down the fuse with the glue gun. It will be interesting to see how the AUW works out. It seems like I had to use a bunch of hot glue. Overall it seems very study with little flex in the wings. The only deviation from the original SE is that I used Blenderm tape for the hinges.

Tomorrow's project is to pretty up the hot glue joints and decide what if anything I might do to color tape or airbrush it or just go fly the sucker. Here are a few picks of the "rough in."
Last edited by Rickochet; Dec 10, 2012 at 04:22 PM.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 07:35 PM
Joined Aug 2010
2,522 Posts
Rickochet , looks good - that sucker 's gonna fly GREAT !
Old Dec 10, 2012, 07:48 PM
If I build it, it will fly
United States, NY, East Rochester
Joined Jan 2012
702 Posts
Should be a hellofa floater.

~psguardian
psguardian is offline Find More Posts by psguardian