HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 06, 2012, 04:19 PM
20 years on the Internet
United States, AZ, Phoenix
Joined May 2012
816 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by balsa or carbon View Post
Good choice going with GoPro . If you ever want to up the AP game , GoPro also make a device that combines two GoPros to make 3D videos . And of course there's FPV , where you wear video goggles that let you fly the plane as if you're sitting in the cockpit , complete with head tracking ( move your head to the left or right , up or down , the camera on the plane moves accordingly ) .
That bipe sounds like fun . There's a guy here on RC Groups who has made an amphibious bipe delta http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1684700 . He also makes a lot of giant planes out of R-tech foam from Home Depot .
My delta Bipe did not work out to well. Cg ended up way to far forward and needs a redesign. Oh well... Thats what its all about trial, error and fun.

Camera comes in Tomorrow. I really did not think I would reach AP this fast. Thought I was at least a year out or so. The only plane I have right now capable of the GoPro is the SE. I'm going to try an SE AP Version. Move the motor back to adjust the CG ( And Keep vibration to the rear ). Put heavy duty linkage on and make a cradle up front for the camera. Wife has been chomping at the bit for summer here in AZ to be over so we can start the photography up again. Now I have another angle to explore and i'm getting excited.

I'm an amateur artist/photographer. Here is an off topic link to my work.

http://nightlydreamer.deviantart.com/gallery/

Thanks again Al for all the responses and inspiration...

Nightstone
Nightstone is offline Find More Posts by Nightstone
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Downtown Phoenix Skyline
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 06, 2012, 07:29 PM
Hot glue held together by foam
United States, WA, Vancouver
Joined Aug 2010
2,529 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightstone View Post
My delta Bipe did not work out to well. Cg ended up way to far forward and needs a redesign. Oh well... Thats what its all about trial, error and fun.

Camera comes in Tomorrow. I really did not think I would reach AP this fast. Thought I was at least a year out or so. The only plane I have right now capable of the GoPro is the SE. I'm going to try an SE AP Version. Move the motor back to adjust the CG ( And Keep vibration to the rear ). Put heavy duty linkage on and make a cradle up front for the camera. Wife has been chomping at the bit for summer here in AZ to be over so we can start the photography up again. Now I have another angle to explore and i'm getting excited.

I'm an amateur artist/photographer. Here is an off topic link to my work.

http://nightlydreamer.deviantart.com/gallery/

Thanks again Al for all the responses and inspiration...

Nightstone
The whole process is fun - trial and error , some fail , some are successful , always learning . Are you giving the bipe another try ?
WOW ! I took a look at your art/photography - BEAUTIFUL work ! I dabble a little bit in the art/photography world myself . Haven't done any digital manipulation yet , but I'm thinking of getting some software to do that - specifically fractal art . I love abstract/non-objective . I don't have my photographs on a website , so here's a few
balsa or carbon is online now Find More Posts by balsa or carbon
Last edited by balsa or carbon; Sep 06, 2012 at 07:41 PM.
Old Sep 07, 2012, 12:27 AM
20 years on the Internet
Joined May 2012
816 Posts
Quote:
The whole process is fun - trial and error , some fail , some are successful , always learning . Are you giving the bipe another try ?
WOW ! I took a look at your art/photography - BEAUTIFUL work ! I dabble a little bit in the art/photography world myself . Haven't done any digital manipulation yet , but I'm thinking of getting some software to do that - specifically fractal art . I love abstract/non-objective . I don't have my photographs on a website , so here's a few
Thanks for the comments... Those pics are GREAT especially that last one and well as the water on the windows. Check out Deviant art for some fractal art and programs that folks are using. Many are free. I use Photoshop but Gimp is good also and its free.

Bipe is on hold now that the camera is coming in. SE AP version is in the works this weekend and should have time to complete it as I only have one job so far. I'm going to tape everything to the first one and see how far back I can take the motor and still maintain a good CG with it fully loaded. Plan it out in advance. I may also increase the wing span size on the first SE for better wing loading. I have several motors that produce 800+ grams of thrust so I should be fine in that area.

I also priced out the FPV equipment tonight. $800 should give me a nice setup when i'm ready for that.

On the AP stills are the main thing i'm interested in. Video not so much. Once the heat comes down a bit i'm looking forward to taking the AP plane to some really cool places I know and do some photography.

Will post pics/vid of the AP Version of the SE when i'm done.

Nightstone
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 07, 2012, 12:48 AM
20 years on the Internet
Joined May 2012
816 Posts
Just taped up the original. I can put the motor back all the way to the 21" point and still have room for adjustment. with it that far back I can put a 10" prop and a 1200kv motor in. I'm thinking of going with a split level nose on the plane. Hack it off where the camera will go and drop it down out of the way so the camera gets a nice view. Reinforce the dropped down section with EPP for a shock absorber just in case.

With the auto leveling on this plane and stability in wind the worst that can happen is a hard landing. As long as she is balanced even without power she should glide in okay.

Lots of flights ahead of me prior to a camera going on board though...

Nightstone
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 09, 2012, 09:12 PM
20 years on the Internet
Joined May 2012
816 Posts
Super Easy Aerial Photography Version is done. She is about 20% larger than the original. 9 Gram Servos all the way around. Motor is a Turnigy DST-1200. 10" Prop. Prop is way back at the 21" mark. Plane weighs around 260Grams with no batteries. Test flight was at 600 grams ( 120 grams added for Dummy GoPro simulated weight ).

She flies great. Pretty much hands free once she was trimmed. Excuse the poor video as I had the GoPro in narrow more strapped to my head. I'm estimating she will handle 200-300 grams in extra weight with no issues. My landing at 600 grams was very slow and light.

I'm going to fly her at least 4-5 times this week and look for weak points. From there expect on board video this weekend. Expect some color also so I can see her up high.

If this works out I will have an AP plane on the cheap ( $30 ).

GoProplane1 (5 min 12 sec)

Nightstone
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 09, 2012, 10:11 PM
Joined Aug 2010
2,529 Posts
Quote:
Super Easy Aerial Photography Version is done. She is about 20% larger than the original. 9 Gram Servos all the way around. Motor is a Turnigy DST-1200. 10" Prop. Prop is way back at the 21" mark. Plane weighs around 260Grams with no batteries. Test flight was at 600 grams ( 120 grams added for Dummy GoPro simulated weight ).

She flies great. Pretty much hands free once she was trimmed. Excuse the poor video as I had the GoPro in narrow more strapped to my head. I'm estimating she will handle 200-300 grams in extra weight with no issues. My landing at 600 grams was very slow and light.

I'm going to fly her at least 4-5 times this week and look for weak points. From there expect on board video this weekend. Expect some color also so I can see her up high.

If this works out I will have an AP plane on the cheap ( $30 ).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHfPa...ature=youtu.be

Nightstone
Looks great Nightstone ! At 20% bigger is it still made out of DT foam ? I think you may have the first scratch built foamy delta AP plane on RC groups !
Did your LED lights come in yet ? Looking forward to seeing your first night flyer !
Only DT foam plane I've made in the last few days is a shorter , wider version of the Simple DT Jet , since a friend of mine had a hard time flying the original . The new one IS easier to handle ( slower roll rate ) , but still scoots when you punch it ! I'll post the pics and details soon .
I just put together a Multiplex Fun Cub for a buddy , we did the maiden on it late this afternoon - that is one SWEET flying plane ! If you ever want to spend the $ on an ARF , I highly recommend that one !
Old Sep 10, 2012, 12:30 AM
20 years on the Internet
Joined May 2012
816 Posts
Quote:
Looks great Nightstone ! At 20% bigger is it still made out of DT foam ? I think you may have the first scratch built foamy delta AP plane on RC groups !
Did your LED lights come in yet ? Looking forward to seeing your first night flyer !
Only DT foam plane I've made in the last few days is a shorter , wider version of the Simple DT Jet , since a friend of mine had a hard time flying the original . The new one IS easier to handle ( slower roll rate ) , but still scoots when you punch it ! I'll post the pics and details soon .
I just put together a Multiplex Fun Cub for a buddy , we did the maiden on it late this afternoon - that is one SWEET flying plane ! If you ever want to spend the $ on an ARF , I highly recommend that one !
Its all still DT with an EPP nose as a crumple zone in case of a crash. Going to make an EPP cradle for the camera too.

Here is a pic of what I did to get the extra area. Pretty simple really. Just had to put a nose of some kind up front ( Choose EPP ).

I am waiting on Hobby king on the lights to come into stock. If they are not in soon though will put a hobby partz order in ( They are just a bit pricier ).

Btw... That Turnigy motor I'm using is overkill. She fly's at 1/3-1/2 throttle fine. Also seems to glide well with all the wing area. $6.50 motor lol.

Throwing a pic of my wife and the plane so you can get an idea of size.

Nightstone
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 10, 2012, 10:37 AM
Joined Aug 2010
2,529 Posts
Quote:
Its all still DT with an EPP nose as a crumple zone in case of a crash. Going to make an EPP cradle for the camera too.

Here is a pic of what I did to get the extra area. Pretty simple really. Just had to put a nose of some kind up front ( Choose EPP ).

I am waiting on Hobby king on the lights to come into stock. If they are not in soon though will put a hobby partz order in ( They are just a bit pricier ).

Btw... That Turnigy motor I'm using is overkill. She fly's at 1/3-1/2 throttle fine. Also seems to glide well with all the wing area. $6.50 motor lol.

Throwing a pic of my wife and the plane so you can get an idea of size.

Nightstone
Very clever ! I think I'll do that on my next SE !
Old Sep 10, 2012, 01:21 PM
20 years on the Internet
Joined May 2012
816 Posts
Quote:
Very clever ! I think I'll do that on my next SE !
I did one other thing that ended up working well. When I glued her together I did add some dihedral. I then added a wooden dowel underneath by hot gluing it in. This pulls the dihedral towards a flat position again. Yet when she is in the air the dowel flexes and gives her back her dihedral but only allows it to flex to the original dihedral.

Nightstone
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 10, 2012, 04:08 PM
20 years on the Internet
Joined May 2012
816 Posts
Camera Mount

Camera Mount is done... Goals were.

1.) Vibration to a minimum. Prop is at rear of plane and camera up front. Using distance and several layers of EPP to accomplish this.

2.) Weight to a minimum. Camera and mount are at 113 grams.

3.) Protect camera. Camera protected with a taped EPP shell. Will add a retaining wire in case of accident.

4.) Multiple locations on the plane for Video. So far we have a side mount and a top mount. The camera mount has 3 different angles built into it.

I would also like to do an under the wing mount on one side. Since the plane has 2 elevators I could raise one slightly to compensate for the imbalance of weight. All theoretical at this point.

Wish me jello free video and nice stills not to mention the equipment coming home safe. I may just go for it this afternoon...

Did not show top mount as its going to just be a flat piece of velcro.

Nightstone
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 10, 2012, 04:22 PM
Joined Aug 2010
2,529 Posts
Quote:
Camera Mount is done... Goals were.

1.) Vibration to a minimum. Prop is at rear of plane and camera up front. Using distance and several layers of EPP to accomplish this.

2.) Weight to a minimum. Camera and mount are at 113 grams.

3.) Protect camera. Camera protected with a taped EPP shell. Will add a retaining wire in case of accident.

4.) Multiple locations on the plane for Video. So far we have a side mount and a top mount. The camera mount has 3 different angles built into it.

I would also like to do an under the wing mount on one side. Since the plane has 2 elevators I could raise one slightly to compensate for the imbalance of weight. All theoretical at this point.

Wish me jello free video and nice stills not to mention the equipment coming home safe. I may just go for it this afternoon...

Did not show top mount as its going to just be a flat piece of velcro.

Nightstone
Looks real good Nightstone ! Seems like it's all coming together quickly for the AP - excited to see the first results !
Old Sep 10, 2012, 06:08 PM
20 years on the Internet
Joined May 2012
816 Posts
I got gutsy... up she went with the camera. Did 2 flights. Pic/Vid. Pictures were great. Video has that fisheye bobble. Need to do another with the resolution med or narrow. No jello in the vid. It came out perfect.

Here are some stills from the flight. I am very happy with the results. First SE AP!!!

Now I need to get the plane up at sunset with some weather...

Nightstone
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 10, 2012, 06:57 PM
Joined Aug 2010
2,529 Posts
Quote:
I got gutsy... up she went with the camera. Did 2 flights. Pic/Vid. Pictures were great. Video has that fisheye bobble. Need to do another with the resolution med or narrow. No jello in the vid. It came out perfect.

Here are some stills from the flight. I am very happy with the results. First SE AP!!!

Now I need to get the plane up at sunset with some weather...

Nightstone
Photos look great ! Man , you get things done fast ! Trial and almost no error on this AP adventure - can't wait to see the video !
Old Sep 10, 2012, 10:33 PM
20 years on the Internet
Joined May 2012
816 Posts
Went out again at sunset... flew almost 17 mins. Here are a few shots. Not the best skies but you take what you get...

Nightstone
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Nightstone; Sep 11, 2012 at 11:47 PM.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 07:51 PM
Joined Aug 2010
2,529 Posts
Latest $ Tree plane

Here is the shorter , wider version of the Simple $ Tree Jet . The original is 20" wide , 30" long . This one is 30" wide , 20" long - makes for a slower roll rate and easier handling .