HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 24, 2012, 12:55 AM
20 years on the Internet
United States, AZ, Phoenix
Joined May 2012
799 Posts
Thanks... and Thanks to Al for the info too.

Nightstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuPageJoe View Post
Nightstone
According to the LiPo safety guidelines in my Venom Charger manual, the maximum discharge temperature is 140 F or 60 C. That's fairly hot to the touch.

You need to let the battery cool befire re-charging, though, because the maximum charging temperature is 110 F or 43 C.

You might find similar guidelines from a battery supplier like Thunderpower.

Joe
Nightstone is offline Find More Posts by Nightstone
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Downtown Phoenix Skyline
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 24, 2012, 01:09 AM
20 years on the Internet
Joined May 2012
799 Posts
Also wanted to say thanks again for posting that SE design. It gave me stick time I otherwise would not have gotten due to the winds where I am at. Anyways... Here is a vid of my Firefly I maidened today. This plane was a bit much for me a month and a half ago. Flew it fine today even with the winds. Keep in Mind... I'm a noob at this.

FireFly (4 min 56 sec)

Nightstone
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 24, 2012, 09:56 AM
Hot glue held together by foam
United States, WA, Vancouver
Joined Aug 2010
2,443 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightstone View Post
DSE Version 2 built and ready for maiden tomorrow. Will get a wife vid. Went with 9 Gram servos. Lots of color lol. Using that motor that was on the first one with a 7x6 prop hope its not too much for it. its a 2000kv motor. It should be quick ( At least at my skill level ). Made this plane Flat with no dihedral. Added a spar. Large KF on top. Small KF underneath.

Should be interesting...

Nightstone
Good looking plane - looks fast just sitting there on your work bench ! Download that RC speedo app on your cell phone yet ?
balsa or carbon is online now Find More Posts by balsa or carbon
Old Aug 24, 2012, 09:58 AM
Joined Aug 2010
2,443 Posts
Quote:
Also wanted to say thanks again for posting that SE design. It gave me stick time I otherwise would not have gotten due to the winds where I am at. Anyways... Here is a vid of my Firefly I maidened today. This plane was a bit much for me a month and a half ago. Flew it fine today even with the winds. Keep in Mind... I'm a noob at this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_p3Kv...ature=youtu.be

Nightstone
Looks like fun !
Old Aug 24, 2012, 03:16 PM
20 years on the Internet
Joined May 2012
799 Posts
Did my maiden this morning on the new one ( No Vid Yet ).It flies very fast and is very stable in level flight. The 7x6 prop on that 2k motor worked great. 1/3 throttle for normal flight. 3/4 is a very fast vertical. Did not take it all the way to full. The issue im having is its very very touchy. That and it goes out to a distance pretty quickly and its real hard to tell orientation at that point. I'm adding Exp for my next flight ( First plane I have had to do this with ).

The power difference is huge. Look at that first vid it was fast when I was using a 6x3 prop, 3s same motor. Now I went from a 6x3 to a 7x6 on the same motor. Motor was hot to the touch when I came down but not to the point where I could not hold it between 2 fingers.

If the motor does not burn my fingers I should be okay right? hot is okay yes?

Anyways... Will try and get the wife out later for a vid. Feels like i'm flying right at the edge of my current abilities with this plane.

Nightstone
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 24, 2012, 04:34 PM
Joined Aug 2010
2,443 Posts
Quote:
Did my maiden this morning on the new one ( No Vid Yet ).It flies very fast and is very stable in level flight. The 7x6 prop on that 2k motor worked great. 1/3 throttle for normal flight. 3/4 is a very fast vertical. Did not take it all the way to full. The issue im having is its very very touchy. That and it goes out to a distance pretty quickly and its real hard to tell orientation at that point. I'm adding Exp for my next flight ( First plane I have had to do this with ).

The power difference is huge. Look at that first vid it was fast when I was using a 6x3 prop, 3s same motor. Now I went from a 6x3 to a 7x6 on the same motor. Motor was hot to the touch when I came down but not to the point where I could not hold it between 2 fingers.

If the motor does not burn my fingers I should be okay right? hot is okay yes?

Anyways... Will try and get the wife out later for a vid. Feels like i'm flying right at the edge of my current abilities with this plane.

Nightstone
Welcome to the world of SPEED !! I know what you mean about going out to a distance quickly - I usually do a high speed pass close to the ground and then before it gets to far out take it straight up !
If your motor is hot from 3/4 throttle speed runs , I would downsize the prop before you do any full throttle runs . I use a 6x4 APC on both my speedsters . One runs a 300 watt 3430kv 3s 40c , the other 480 watt 2350kv 4s 40c . Both motors and ESC's are slightly warm after a run , batteries very warm .
Expo is pretty much a necessity ( for me , anyway ) on the speedsters , as well as low rates . My new jet is so narrow that on the aileron channel I have 50% rates and 50% expo .
By the way , it's watching this video that made me want to get this exact plane with the exact same power set up . Fast forward to 5:25 to see it fly .
HobbyKing - SkyFun ARF Pusher Jet (8 min 19 sec)
Old Aug 24, 2012, 07:47 PM
20 years on the Internet
Joined May 2012
799 Posts
Hit the jackpot

Hit the jackpot today. Stopped by one of my customers today to drop of some pc stuff and they let me go through the sample room and take some samples and cast offs. The company manufactures and cuts gaskets and any small flat foam, plastic etc items.

Anyways... I got these 2 huge rolls of gold tape. They are barely sticky. But when you actually stick them they activate and become real sticky. Never seen anything like it. Going to see what heat does and test them further. Got enough tape now for 50 or so planes lol.

Any idea what this stuff is? regular plastic tape only sticks so so even with spray glue but this stuff really sticks.

Nightstone
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 24, 2012, 09:13 PM
20 years on the Internet
Joined May 2012
799 Posts
3 flights this evening... all 3 went bad. Plane has a real bad tendency to want to go down when the throttle hits 2/3. So it pushes down... Your pulling up and then you are finally forced to pull back the throttle and pop up goes the plane uncontrollably. Had 2 emergency minor bad landings that way. Third flight figured I would jut get her up a bit higher. So there I am blasting away gaining altitude when pop, prop goes flying. This motor uses 2 lock nuts on a threaded shaft. well I now only have 1 lock nut lol. It worked both lock nuts and the prop right off the end. Never seen that coming. Time to use a prop saver.

Since I build by putting glue on tape I'm going to reverse her. Big KF is going on the bottom and small on top. Then we will see what happens.

Nightstone
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 25, 2012, 02:45 AM
Joined Aug 2010
2,443 Posts
Quote:
3 flights this evening... all 3 went bad. Plane has a real bad tendency to want to go down when the throttle hits 2/3. So it pushes down... Your pulling up and then you are finally forced to pull back the throttle and pop up goes the plane uncontrollably. Had 2 emergency minor bad landings that way. Third flight figured I would jut get her up a bit higher. So there I am blasting away gaining altitude when pop, prop goes flying. This motor uses 2 lock nuts on a threaded shaft. well I now only have 1 lock nut lol. It worked both lock nuts and the prop right off the end. Never seen that coming. Time to use a prop saver.

Since I build by putting glue on tape I'm going to reverse her. Big KF is going on the bottom and small on top. Then we will see what happens.

Nightstone
If increased throttle is pushing the nose down , I'm guessing it may be because the motor is mounted too high . Try lowering it so the motor shaft is even with or just slightly above the wing .
Old Aug 25, 2012, 01:06 PM
USA, IL, Wheaton
Joined Oct 2010
487 Posts
Nightstone
if your motor is on an X mount, you could add washers to change the motor shaft incidence a little. If you add washers on the top screws, you can get rid of some of the tendency to nose down with increasing throttle.

With my rubber band powered planes, high power on take off makes them nose up, so I need to do the reverse.

Good luck

Joe
DuPageJoe is offline Find More Posts by DuPageJoe
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 25, 2012, 01:44 PM
20 years on the Internet
Joined May 2012
799 Posts
Thanks to both of you... motor is on a stick mount. So plane is coming apart. With the way I build them it should not be an issue.

I tested that tape... Cut that large piece I taped last night in half and hit one half with the heat gun. This morning I peeled off tape. It looks like the glue on that tape penetrates real well. On both pieces it took paint and foam off with it. The heat treated piece had better adhesion. This is pretty cool stuff...

So i'm a happy camper now. On Monday going to see if he has any more in a clear color lol.

Nightstone
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 25, 2012, 02:17 PM
Joined Aug 2010
2,443 Posts
Quote:
Thanks to both of you... motor is on a stick mount. So plane is coming apart. With the way I build them it should not be an issue.

I tested that tape... Cut that large piece I taped last night in half and hit one half with the heat gun. This morning I peeled off tape. It looks like the glue on that tape penetrates real well. On both pieces it took paint and foam off with it. The heat treated piece had better adhesion. This is pretty cool stuff...

So i'm a happy camper now. On Monday going to see if he has any more in a clear color lol.

Nightstone
See if you can find out what it is and where we can get it .
Old Aug 25, 2012, 10:09 PM
20 years on the Internet
Joined May 2012
799 Posts
The DSE version 2 is no more. I redid the plane and lowered the motor mount. I also flipped the KFm. She was flying much better. Anyways....

About an hour ago I was out flying it with my son in law. It was a windy day and I did my flight with no issues and it was flying fine. A bit touchy but fine. My son in law decided he wanted to give it a go. He does okay and has had no issues flying most of my home builds. Well today he met his match. About 2 mins into the flight he drilled it nose first straight into the ground. Crumpled the front 1/4 of the plane. Ripped the motor completely off the plane. Battery damaged. Etc, Etc, Etc.

For now I am going back to a Standard SE with dihedral and Elevons. I need something he can fly on windy days. I will make myself a speedy version next week or weekend again ( for me only lol ).

My wife filmed both flights and will post them if anyone is interested.

Al... Will try and find out what kind of tape that is on Monday when I do a service call on the client ( I'm an IT/IS consultant ).

Nightstone
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 25, 2012, 11:42 PM
Joined Aug 2010
2,443 Posts
Quote:
The DSE version 2 is no more. I redid the plane and lowered the motor mount. I also flipped the KFm. She was flying much better. Anyways....

About an hour ago I was out flying it with my son in law. It was a windy day and I did my flight with no issues and it was flying fine. A bit touchy but fine. My son in law decided he wanted to give it a go. He does okay and has had no issues flying most of my home builds. Well today he met his match. About 2 mins into the flight he drilled it nose first straight into the ground. Crumpled the front 1/4 of the plane. Ripped the motor completely off the plane. Battery damaged. Etc, Etc, Etc.

For now I am going back to a Standard SE with dihedral and Elevons. I need something he can fly on windy days. I will make myself a speedy version next week or weekend again ( for me only lol ).

My wife filmed both flights and will post them if anyone is interested.

Al... Will try and find out what kind of tape that is on Monday when I do a service call on the client ( I'm an IT/IS consultant ).

Nightstone
It sucks that your battery was damaged , but I guess you won't be paying for the new one ! Please always post the videos , I love to see it all - the good , the bad and the ugly !
Old Aug 26, 2012, 02:14 AM
20 years on the Internet
Joined May 2012
799 Posts
Al...

Here is the good, bad and broken all over the ground. First vid is my maiden on the revamp. Notice I reduced the size of the elevons. I did not go crazy on this first flight because of the winds. winds were around 10 and very thermal like ( Bumpy ). Flight went fine.

Firstandlast (3 min 19 sec)

Then I let my son in law fly. He claimed he was ready to fly a non beginner plane and one that has no self righting. He did fine on the F-22 I have. But it does not really fly and is more like pushing a chunk of foam around. That and its slower. So anyways... he talked up a storm at the house about how ready he was... a short while later he got a large slice of humble pie.

Crashandburn (2 min 4 sec)

I'm going to rebuild it this week. I think its a nice stepping stone for me in my quest to get better at flying. My son in law is going back to flying a regular Super Easy.

Nightstone
RCG Plus Member