SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 18, 2012, 10:56 PM
Hot glue held together by foam
United States, WA, Vancouver
Joined Aug 2010
2,655 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by electricrc68 View Post
Ah okay thanks! Yeah i will probably build the hovercraft too! You used an air radio for that right? And then only one foam board, or second foam board for rudder on the hovercraft?
The hovercraft is made from just one board , an Instant Breakfast can , some hot glue , a few popsickle sticks and tape . When the time comes I can walk you through it . Dx6i for everything .
balsa or carbon is offline Find More Posts by balsa or carbon
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 18, 2012, 11:02 PM
The Sweet Aroma of 92 Octane
United States, PA, Downingtown
Joined May 2011
4,407 Posts
Okay cool thanks. Yeah i will get there at some point. Going to build this plane first. Also, what prop are you using on this plane and what did you use for hinging the control surfaces? I would like smooth control surface movement.
electricrc68 is offline Find More Posts by electricrc68
Last edited by electricrc68; Jul 18, 2012 at 11:46 PM.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 11:45 AM
Joined Aug 2010
2,655 Posts
Quote:
Okay cool thanks. Yeah i will get there at some point. Going to build this plane first. Also, what prop are you using on this plane and what did you use for hinging the control surfaces? I would like smooth control surface movement.
You can use the Dynam motor's recommended ( 8" slow fly ) prop , but I used a 7" slow fly prop just to keep the prop slot from being to big . Cut the prop slot just big enough ( with about a 1/4" of clearance ) for the prop that you're going to use . For the control surfaces I use Scotch brand reinforced packaging tape from the paint department at Home Depot . You can see it in this picture .
Old Jul 19, 2012, 12:25 PM
Joined May 2011
4,407 Posts
Ah okay thanks. Is there a certain name for the tape, or is that what its called? Also, when watching one of flite tests scratchbuild videos, they make the control surfaces have a little bit of an angle cut to them at the hinge. Did you do that as well, or does it not make a difference?
Old Jul 19, 2012, 01:46 PM
Joined Aug 2010
2,655 Posts
Quote:
Ah okay thanks. Is there a certain name for the tape, or is that what its called? Also, when watching one of flite tests scratchbuild videos, they make the control surfaces have a little bit of an angle cut to them at the hinge. Did you do that as well, or does it not make a difference?
The label is gone from my current roll of that tape , but it's about 2" wide and reinforced with fiberglass both ways ( length and width ) .
Yes , you have to bevel ( 45* ) the control surfaces so they can move in both directions .
Old Jul 19, 2012, 02:14 PM
Joined May 2011
4,407 Posts
Okay thanks. I will look for that when i go there. Couple more questions.

1. What size music wire would you say i should get? will .032" diameter work?

2. Where do you buy music wire? Cheaper the better.

3. will bamboo skewers work as reinforcement?

4. Is it okay to use elevons + rudder, or should i stick to elevator + rudder? I like the idea of using elevons just to have that extra control.

5. When taping down the control surface, does the bevel go on the bottom or top?

6. How do you glue down the fuselage? Was kind of tough last time i tried.

7. When should i cut the prop slot? Before gluing?

Sorry about all the questions.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 05:38 PM
Joined Aug 2010
2,655 Posts
Quote:
Okay thanks. I will look for that when i go there. Couple more questions.

1. What size music wire would you say i should get? will .032" diameter work?

2. Where do you buy music wire? Cheaper the better.

3. will bamboo skewers work as reinforcement?

4. Is it okay to use elevons + rudder, or should i stick to elevator + rudder? I like the idea of using elevons just to have that extra control.

5. When taping down the control surface, does the bevel go on the bottom or top?

6. How do you glue down the fuselage? Was kind of tough last time i tried.

7. When should i cut the prop slot? Before gluing?

Sorry about all the questions.
1. .032 is good .

2. I get it at a local hobby shop .

3. Bamboo is fine , look for the longest ones . You can also check with an archery shop to see if they have any broken arrow shafts they want to get rid of .

4. It would be easy enough to try it both ways and see which you like better .

5. The bevel goes on the opposite side of the control horn . For my elevators the control horns are on top so the bevels are on the bottom . For my rudder the control horn is on the right so the bevel is on the left .

6. After gluing the wings together , put them upside down on a flat , level surface ( table or workbench ) . Put some hot glue on the center line of the first 3 or 4 inches up by the nose , then press the nose of the fuselage on to that hot glue while holding it straight on the center line AND at a 90* angle ( straight up ) to the table/workbench . Next glue a 3 or 4 inch section by the prop slot , again hold the fuselage straight on the center line and at a 90* angle to the table/workbench . Then do a 3 or 4 inch section by the tail while keeping it at the center line and at a 90* angle to the table/workbench . Last , run a bead of hot glue along the entire length of the joint on both sides , forcing the glue into the gaps .

7. I cut the prop slot ( and control surfaces ) before gluing . I make the first slot ( half the length of the prop + 1/4" ) in the fuselage , then lay a wing up against the fuselage ( lining up the nose and tail ) and mark where the slot needs to go . Same for the second wing , so all the slots line up when the pieces are glued together .

Don't worry about all the questions - I love that you're making one of my planes , and I'm glad to help !
Old Jul 19, 2012, 05:42 PM
Joined May 2011
4,407 Posts
Okay cool thanks! Now all that i need to do is make some money (probably will be getting some this weekend...the grass is pretty tall ), buy the materials, and then build!
Old Jul 19, 2012, 05:56 PM
Joined May 2011
4,407 Posts
Just came up with another question....is there a special technique you use to bevel the control surface? They don't explain that in the flitetest video.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 06:09 PM
Joined Aug 2010
2,655 Posts
Quote:
Just came up with another question....is there a special technique you use to bevel the control surface? They don't explain that in the flitetest video.
I do it like this
Beveled Edges (1 min 20 sec)
Old Jul 19, 2012, 06:35 PM
Joined May 2011
4,407 Posts
Okay cool thanks. Also, what did you use to hold the electronics down onto the airframe? Double sided tape?
Old Jul 19, 2012, 11:57 PM
Joined Aug 2010
2,655 Posts
Quote:
Okay cool thanks. Also, what did you use to hold the electronics down onto the airframe? Double sided tape?
The servos go into a rectangular hole cut in to the foam ( careful to not cut it too big ) - you want a snug fit , then tacked in place with a couple of dabs of hot glue ( where the screw holes are on the servo ) . For the ESC , receiver and battery I use industrial strength Velcro from the crafts section of Walmart .
Old Jul 20, 2012, 08:46 AM
Joined May 2011
4,407 Posts
Ah okay thanks. I think thats what i will do too then. How did you mount the motor onto there? I can see from the pictures theres a wooden stick.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 10:14 AM
Smells like SCIENCE!!!
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Jun 2012
341 Posts
I love the simplicity of this design! This is the plane I'm going to build with my nephews. I was going to build BluBabys for them, but this design is well within their capabilities. I might go 50% scale.

Balsa or carbon... any thrust angle required for the motor, or is it level and aligned with the center axis?

Oh, electricrc68... see post #8. The second photo shows a stick mount. (Edit: I re-read your post. I think you noticed the stick, but was really asking how to use it. What you need is a stick mount fitting; it would have a square part that the stick goes into, and a circular part that the shaft collar goes into. Alternatively, I think you could probably do a firewall-style mount without the stick. Get a thin piece of plywood, mount the motor to that with screws using whatever mount came with the motor, then cut notches in the foam so you can glue the firewall in the correct position.)
ibillwilson is offline Find More Posts by ibillwilson
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by ibillwilson; Jul 20, 2012 at 10:20 AM.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 12:26 PM
Joined May 2011
4,407 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibillwilson View Post
I love the simplicity of this design! This is the plane I'm going to build with my nephews. I was going to build BluBabys for them, but this design is well within their capabilities. I might go 50% scale.

Balsa or carbon... any thrust angle required for the motor, or is it level and aligned with the center axis?

Oh, electricrc68... see post #8. The second photo shows a stick mount. (Edit: I re-read your post. I think you noticed the stick, but was really asking how to use it. What you need is a stick mount fitting; it would have a square part that the stick goes into, and a circular part that the shaft collar goes into. Alternatively, I think you could probably do a firewall-style mount without the stick. Get a thin piece of plywood, mount the motor to that with screws using whatever mount came with the motor, then cut notches in the foam so you can glue the firewall in the correct position.)
Okay cool thanks. Actually, the motor has a heat sink that has a slot for the stick mount. So i think thats how im going to need to mount it.