Old Aug 13, 2012, 12:06 AM
Hot glue held together by foam
United States, WA, Vancouver
Joined Aug 2010
2,458 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightstone View Post
Al

I started off in these forums here 3 1/2 months ago with a champ. Folks told me I could not go from a champ to 3D. So I picked up a Piaget and a Pluma. While they were on the way I found the scratch builts and built 2 Piagets. I started flying one just to prove I could and then got distracted by all the cool planes in here. Its been a wild ride. I can fly my Piaget just not good at the 3D stuff yet. The winds here usually are bad. Add to that 110 plus temps and nasty thermals. So no 3D till it cools.

Thats why the "Super Easy" was so important to me. I can fly it in the wind and nasty thermals. Now with the Elevon version I can do some pretty cool stuff. So you put the fly back into flying.

A few other planes fly okay in light winds but the light epp Piaget gets blown all over the place.

Nighstone
There may be some RC clubs where you live with indoor venues if you would want to try that . Great for small 3D planes , Vapors ,small helis , Champs etc. I live in the Pacific Northwest so during the rainy season I fly at a couple of indoor places . The first time I went to one of the indoor places I brought a scratch built plane and was surprised to find out that nobody else had a scratch built - for me that's half the fun !
balsa or carbon is online now Find More Posts by balsa or carbon
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 13, 2012, 01:11 AM
20 years on the Internet
United States, AZ, Phoenix
Joined May 2012
799 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by balsa or carbon View Post
There may be some RC clubs where you live with indoor venues if you would want to try that . Great for small 3D planes , Vapors ,small helis , Champs etc. I live in the Pacific Northwest so during the rainy season I fly at a couple of indoor places . The first time I went to one of the indoor places I brought a scratch built plane and was surprised to find out that nobody else had a scratch built - for me that's half the fun !
I need to check for clubs in my area... they have a big one up the road but its gassers and alot of rules...

Got a question. On my earlier flights I had some slop in the linkage and I was getting alot of noise in flight. Thought it may have been the servos or slop. I put Du-bro Ez connectors on the servos and went straight wire linkage.

Well the noise stopped and everything is nice and tight. I still wonder though if those 5g servos are enough for those Elevons. That and those screws in the Du-bro connectors had me nervous too lol. Guess I will tighten them befor every flight. They sure are nice for adjustment though and the linkage is tight.

Nightstone
Nightstone is offline Find More Posts by Nightstone
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Downtown Phoenix Skyline
Old Aug 13, 2012, 02:33 AM
Joined Aug 2010
2,458 Posts
Quote:
I need to check for clubs in my area... they have a big one up the road but its gassers and alot of rules...

Got a question. On my earlier flights I had some slop in the linkage and I was getting alot of noise in flight. Thought it may have been the servos or slop. I put Du-bro Ez connectors on the servos and went straight wire linkage.

Well the noise stopped and everything is nice and tight. I still wonder though if those 5g servos are enough for those Elevons. That and those screws in the Du-bro connectors had me nervous too lol. Guess I will tighten them befor every flight. They sure are nice for adjustment though and the linkage is tight.

Nightstone
Was the noise a kind of chattering sound ? That could be the 5 gram servos straining with too much load . Might be a good idea to go with larger metal gear servos , you don't want those 5 gram servos bringing down your plane .
And for peace of mind you could try a little Loctite on those connector screws .
Old Aug 14, 2012, 12:44 AM
20 years on the Internet
Joined May 2012
799 Posts
Quote:
Was the noise a kind of chattering sound ? That could be the 5 gram servos straining with too much load . Might be a good idea to go with larger metal gear servos , you don't want those 5 gram servos bringing down your plane .
And for peace of mind you could try a little Loctite on those connector screws .
I think at this point it was the loose elevons making the noise. I would power up past 3/4 throttle and it would sound like the plane was coming apart. Now with those dubro connectors everything is super tight and precise. I really like them.

I have been using the 5g servos on just about everything I have built so far. Not an issue with any of them. Finally got my order in from last month so tonight was soldering night. I am really impressed with the Hobby King quality so far. And the price is excellent. My High KV motor order is in NY so maybe by Saturday for delivery. I am going to take your advise and get some metal gear servos. There are some 13g turnigy ones pretty cheap with great reviews.

Nightstone
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 14, 2012, 02:09 AM
Joined Aug 2010
2,458 Posts
Quote:
I think at this point it was the loose elevons making the noise. I would power up past 3/4 throttle and it would sound like the plane was coming apart. Now with those dubro connectors everything is super tight and precise. I really like them.

I have been using the 5g servos on just about everything I have built so far. Not an issue with any of them. Finally got my order in from last month so tonight was soldering night. I am really impressed with the Hobby King quality so far. And the price is excellent. My High KV motor order is in NY so maybe by Saturday for delivery. I am going to take your advise and get some metal gear servos. There are some 13g turnigy ones pretty cheap with great reviews.

Nightstone
I've also been happy with most of the stuff I've gotten from Hobby King so far , especially the Turnigy and hexTronik products . The Turnigy 2836 motors are bullet proof and the hexTronik 24 gram motors are great for smaller slow flyers . I just hate waiting for the shipping from China - I'll order from the USA warehouse if they have what I want . Another good place to get things dirt-cheap is Hobbypartz , they have some good combo deals and they're in Los Angeles so shipping doesn't take too long . I get all my batteries and LED lights from them .
Using bigger metal gear servos will be better if you're building bigger , faster planes . It takes more force to move a large control surface on a plane that's Moving through the air at 60 MPH or more .
Can't wait to see your plane that's getting the high kv motor !
A couple of flying buddies came out to see ( and fly ) the white jet earlier today , and while one of them was flying it doing the crazy fast drill bit rolls , it ejected the battery at about 300 feet up ! Too much centrifugal force for the velcro to hold on I guess ! The plane fluttered down and is OK , but couldn't find the battery . Oh well , part of the hobby !
Old Aug 14, 2012, 08:51 AM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Dec 2010
534 Posts
Flew my Super Easy out at Fort Stevens state park this weekend (no video, sorry) in 15mph+ steady winds. I added a CF tube across the top to stop the wings from flexing. Flew fantastic even in the wind. I think I might have been making the kite guys a little jealous with my flips and rolls.
slim1357 is offline Find More Posts by slim1357
Old Aug 14, 2012, 11:10 AM
Joined Aug 2010
2,458 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slim1357 View Post
Flew my Super Easy out at Fort Stevens state park this weekend (no video, sorry) in 15mph+ steady winds. I added a CF tube across the top to stop the wings from flexing. Flew fantastic even in the wind. I think I might have been making the kite guys a little jealous with my flips and rolls.
Awesome ! I don't know how much of this thread you've read , but what Nightstone likes best about his S.E. is that it does well in wind - he lives in a windy area . Enjoy your vacation !
Old Aug 14, 2012, 04:18 PM
20 years on the Internet
Joined May 2012
799 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slim1357 View Post
That brings up a New Mod for the SE. The Kite Slayer Mod. Paint the whole plane black with Big red teeth. Add a string cutter to the front. Launch from a hidden place and go hunting... Grin.

Nightstone
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 14, 2012, 04:31 PM
20 years on the Internet
Joined May 2012
799 Posts
Quote:
I've also been happy with most of the stuff I've gotten from Hobby King so far , especially the Turnigy and hexTronik products . The Turnigy 2836 motors are bullet proof and the hexTronik 24 gram motors are great for smaller slow flyers . I just hate waiting for the shipping from China - I'll order from the USA warehouse if they have what I want . Another good place to get things dirt-cheap is Hobbypartz , they have some good combo deals and they're in Los Angeles so shipping doesn't take too long . I get all my batteries and LED lights from them .
Using bigger metal gear servos will be better if you're building bigger , faster planes . It takes more force to move a large control surface on a plane that's Moving through the air at 60 MPH or more .
Can't wait to see your plane that's getting the high kv motor !
A couple of flying buddies came out to see ( and fly ) the white jet earlier today , and while one of them was flying it doing the crazy fast drill bit rolls , it ejected the battery at about 300 feet up ! Too much centrifugal force for the velcro to hold on I guess ! The plane fluttered down and is OK , but couldn't find the battery . Oh well , part of the hobby !
Loosing a battery sucks... I'm surprised at how tough those batteries are. I have slammed a couple of planes into the dirt real hard with no damage. My wife lawn darted my EPPiper into the concrete and the battery survived ( Motor and prop did not ). The servos have been the same way... Have not broken one yet.

I have 3 Hextronik motors right now. 1 1500 and 2 1300's. Have a 3000kv on the way. I will check out the hobbypartz. I just hate paying high prices and high shipping. The wait from Hobby King China does suck. But man the variety and low cost...

Forgot to mention... Learned something new yesterday. I had my Diamond version out in the wind and was flying it slow. Wind + Slow = Very Little control. The wind and thermals were bouncing it all over the place. Not much of a chance of crashing ( Just give it throttle ) but turned it into a fun afternoon.

Nightstone
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 14, 2012, 04:47 PM
Joined Aug 2010
2,458 Posts
Quote:
That brings up a New Mod for the SE. The Kite Slayer Mod. Paint the whole plane black with Big red teeth. Add a string cutter to the front. Launch from a hidden place and go hunting... Grin.

Nightstone
Didn't know you had that MEAN streak in ya , Nightstone !
Old Aug 14, 2012, 05:07 PM
Joined Aug 2010
2,458 Posts
Quote:
Loosing a battery sucks... I'm surprised at how tough those batteries are. I have slammed a couple of planes into the dirt real hard with no damage. My wife lawn darted my EPPiper into the concrete and the battery survived ( Motor and prop did not ). The servos have been the same way... Have not broken one yet.

I have 3 Hextronik motors right now. 1 1500 and 2 1300's. Have a 3000kv on the way. I will check out the hobbypartz. I just hate paying high prices and high shipping. The wait from Hobby King China does suck. But man the variety and low cost...

Forgot to mention... Learned something new yesterday. I had my Diamond version out in the wind and was flying it slow. Wind + Slow = Very Little control. The wind and thermals were bouncing it all over the place. Not much of a chance of crashing ( Just give it throttle ) but turned it into a fun afternoon.

Nightstone
That 3000kv hexTronik is what slim has on his S.E. - powerful little motor if it can do VTO's ! By the way , Hobbypartz has free shipping for orders over $50 .
I think you said you might put a rudder on your Diamond SE - that may help the slow speed handling .
Old Aug 15, 2012, 12:47 AM
20 years on the Internet
Joined May 2012
799 Posts
Quote:
That 3000kv hexTronik is what slim has on his S.E. - powerful little motor if it can do VTO's ! By the way , Hobbypartz has free shipping for orders over $50 .
I think you said you might put a rudder on your Diamond SE - that may help the slow speed handling .
I'm looking forward to how it performs. Both the motors I have on my 2 SE's are both bigger than the hex and both go vert easily ( A bit overkill on my part ). The FC 28-12 is pulling 730g of thrust and the 2000kv one is somewhere in the 500's.

I have an FC 28-05 and an AX 2306N coming too. Should be fun. Going to test the motors against each other. Next month will go for quality versus quantity and start picking up nicer motors. Have not had a crash in a while lol. Even flew my snowball in 10mph winds this eve. I'm getting better fast..

Tomorrow is Test the OrangeRX R610 receivers out. Put one on the crashed piper and a Nutball to see how they do.

Been so busy with work the last 2 weeks have not built much. Want to try a flat version of the SE with KFM?. Maybe this weekend.

Nightstone
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 15, 2012, 10:04 PM
Joined Aug 2010
2,458 Posts
Jet with KFm4

Well I made the jet with paper off and a KFm4 airfoil , and oddly the original paper-on KFm-less prototype flies better . The new one seems sluggish ... go figure .
Old Aug 16, 2012, 12:32 AM
diyman
Joined Feb 2012
40 Posts
Hey guys found this and had to try it so i got me some coroplast and built a large paper plane am trying to keep it light i got a 40 amp esc,blu wonder 1800kv,8x4 comp.prop and she is 48"x36" will be doing maiden this weekend if wind lays will post pics soon hoping the coroplast will be tough enough to last awhile.
diyman is offline Find More Posts by diyman
Old Aug 16, 2012, 01:31 AM
Joined Aug 2010
2,458 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by diyman View Post
Hey guys found this and had to try it so i got me some coroplast and built a large paper plane am trying to keep it light i got a 40 amp esc,blu wonder 1800kv,8x4 comp.prop and she is 48"x36" will be doing maiden this weekend if wind lays will post pics soon hoping the coroplast will be tough enough to last awhile.
Looking forward to seeing it - shoot a video if you can !