Old Aug 11, 2012, 12:57 AM
Hot glue held together by foam
United States, WA, Vancouver
Joined Aug 2010
2,737 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightstone View Post
After watching this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...v=6H-s7yuJcwk#!

I was thinking of adding dihedral and going KFm1. The Kfm1 in the vid kept flipping the jet over. Dihedral would balance that out and hopefully give me an interesting plane.

Decided i'm going to do this in steps. Have not crashed in a while and my landings are spot on so will take it slow. First one with dihedral, KFm1 and elevons. Then go to a flat wing with KFm2. Got lots of foam and tape lol.

Going to start the first here in a few... My paint gun bit the dust tonight so no paint till I get it replaced tommorow.

Nightstone
That's the great thing about Dollar Tree foam , you can do lots of experimenting with different ideas without having it cost a fortune . I have a Pizza Box Flyer that has a KFm1 - it's SUPER stable high alpha . I use the PBF whenever somebody I'm teaching how to fly is ready to move from rudder/elevator to rudder/elevons .
Pizza Box Flyer indoor flying (not me) (3 min 12 sec)
balsa or carbon is online now Find More Posts by balsa or carbon
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 11, 2012, 08:46 PM
Joined Aug 2010
2,737 Posts
300 watt jet

Nightstone , finished the jet with the 300 watt motor - flies NICE ! Unlimited vertical , Rolls like a drill bit ! Shot a video the same way as the other one - you can catch a glimpse of it occasionally .
Simple foam board RC jet (3 min 37 sec)
Old Aug 11, 2012, 08:58 PM
Joined Aug 2010
2,737 Posts
Possible landing gear

Nightstone , This is a way you could put landing gear on your foamies . Music wire inside a plastic tube glued to the foam . It's pretty much invisible once the plane is in the air .
http://static.rcgroups.net/forums/at...G?d=1231937040
Old Aug 12, 2012, 11:40 AM
20 years on the Internet
United States, AZ, Phoenix
Joined May 2012
898 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by balsa or carbon View Post
Nightstone , finished the jet with the 300 watt motor - flies NICE ! Unlimited vertical , Rolls like a drill bit ! Shot a video the same way as the other one - you can catch a glimpse of it occasionally .
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tk8X...1&feature=plcp
looks great. And you made a few minor changes. Front looks like it has a single piece for a cockpit. Is the paper off the foam? Its definitely moving in that video. did you swap out the motor?

Nightstone
Nightstone is offline Find More Posts by Nightstone
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 12, 2012, 11:44 AM
20 years on the Internet
Joined May 2012
898 Posts
Quote:
Nightstone , This is a way you could put landing gear on your foamies . Music wire inside a plastic tube glued to the foam . It's pretty much invisible once the plane is in the air .
http://static.rcgroups.net/forums/at...G?d=1231937040
This is exactly what I was looking for. Such a simple idea. That would work great on your jet too with the dual runners underneath. Not to mention my nut balls and other planes.

Thank You

Nightstone
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 12, 2012, 12:07 PM
20 years on the Internet
Joined May 2012
898 Posts
Finished my new design. I'm calling it the "DiamondSE". SE for Super Easy. Finished it last night and ran 3 batteries through it this morning. even had a local police officer out watching me lol. The wife did the vid of one flight. Shes sick and was having issues tracking the plane. So the vids a bit chopped up.

I ended up with a highly stable plane that will fly super slow or super fast. As an elevon trainer it would be great. You can see in the video how easy it flies at low speed and how agile it is. I'm real new at this and had no issues flying it.

The KFm1 with the dihedral was a big surprise. Its like it rides on a cushion of air.

If anyone wants the actual dimensions let me know and I will post them.

It was pretty cool to be able to fly it that slow while being that stable. Then take off and haul butt across the sky.

I do need to get the slop out of the control surfaces and will be changing out the control rods today. Also it needs 9g servos instead of 5g.

Its a Keeper...

DiamondSE (5 min 25 sec)

Sound track is from Jefferson Airplane

Nightstone
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 12, 2012, 12:54 PM
Joined Aug 2010
2,737 Posts
Quote:
Finished my new design. I'm calling it the "DiamondSE". SE for Super Easy. Finished it last night and ran 3 batteries through it this morning. even had a local police officer out watching me lol. The wife did the vid of one flight. Shes sick and was having issues tracking the plane. So the vids a bit chopped up.

I ended up with a highly stable plane that will fly super slow or super fast. As an elevon trainer it would be great. You can see in the video how easy it flies at low speed and how agile it is. I'm real new at this and had no issues flying it.

The KFm1 with the dihedral was a big surprise. Its like it rides on a cushion of air.

If anyone wants the actual dimensions let me know and I will post them.

It was pretty cool to be able to fly it that slow while being that stable. Then take off and haul butt across the sky.

I do need to get the slop out of the control surfaces and will be changing out the control rods today. Also it needs 9g servos instead of 5g.

Its a Keeper...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCs8F...ature=youtu.be

Sound track is from Jefferson Airplane

Nightstone
MAN that thing flies nice ! SO stable in high alpha ! Does it have a high kv motor ? If so , how do you like it compared to a lower kv motor ? That kind of success gets you excited to build more , doesn't it ?
Old Aug 12, 2012, 01:11 PM
Joined Aug 2010
2,737 Posts
Quote:
looks great. And you made a few minor changes. Front looks like it has a single piece for a cockpit. Is the paper off the foam? Its definitely moving in that video. did you swap out the motor?

Nightstone
Both the jets were just quick paper on experiments to see what would work . On the white one I meant to put on a KFm but forgot ( "Al"s-heimers ! ) , so I'll try to remember on the next one . Once I have every thing figured out , I'll make a more permanent one with paper off and tape on , and definitely with the 300 watt motor .
I just found out that you can get the same D.T. foam from the same manufacturer ( R.L. Adams Co. ) but in 24"x48" sheets 1/4" thick no paper . http://www.modelplanefoam.com/
Last edited by balsa or carbon; Aug 12, 2012 at 01:46 PM.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 02:21 PM
20 years on the Internet
Joined May 2012
898 Posts
Quote:
Both the jets were just quick paper on experiments to see what would work . On the white one I meant to put on a KFm but forgot ( "Al"s-heimers ! ) , so I'll try to remember on the next one . Once I have every thing figured out , I'll make a more permanent one with paper off and tape on , and definitely with the 300 watt motor .
I just found out that you can get the same D.T. foam from the same manufacturer ( R.L. Adams Co. ) but in 24"x48" sheets 1/4" thick no paper . http://www.modelplanefoam.com/
I looked at that MPF. One issue with it. Tape does not stick well. You have to heat the tape to get it to stick. i'm trying to get a sample from them right now. Try before you buy.

Nightstone
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 12, 2012, 02:30 PM
Joined Aug 2010
2,737 Posts
Quote:
I looked at that MPF. One issue with it. Tape does not stick well. You have to heat the tape to get it to stick. i'm trying to get a sample from them right now. Try before you buy.

Nightstone
Thanks for the heads up .
Old Aug 12, 2012, 02:31 PM
20 years on the Internet
Joined May 2012
898 Posts
Quote:
MAN that thing flies nice ! SO stable in high alpha ! Does it have a high kv motor ? If so , how do you like it compared to a lower kv motor ? That kind of success gets you excited to build more , doesn't it ?
I'm using this really cheap motor from HK USA. 2000kv. The high KV ones from china are still en route. 2 more weeks out. The motor is real loud. Its a bit different than the low KV ones I have been flying. Once it gets going it really hauls butt.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...cro_Motor.html

The success this morning was great. Really amped me up. That was my first real stable high alpha flight. I tried it with a firefly but it was real squirrely. 3 batteries this morning lol. Once I figured out it would fly that slow thats all I wanted to do. Going to try some high alpha landings next. Also may add a rudder to the next one.

Nightstone
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 12, 2012, 05:33 PM
Joined Aug 2010
2,737 Posts
Quote:
I'm using this really cheap motor from HK USA. 2000kv. The high KV ones from china are still en route. 2 more weeks out. The motor is real loud. Its a bit different than the low KV ones I have been flying. Once it gets going it really hauls butt.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...cro_Motor.html

The success this morning was great. Really amped me up. That was my first real stable high alpha flight. I tried it with a firefly but it was real squirrely. 3 batteries this morning lol. Once I figured out it would fly that slow thats all I wanted to do. Going to try some high alpha landings next. Also may add a rudder to the next one.

Nightstone
Not long ago I found out why those higher kv motors are so loud - the tips of the prop blades are moving so fast that they're BREAKING THE SOUND BARRIER ! Kinda adds to the thrill though , doesn't it !?
Flying high alpha can be a lot of fun . Have you tried any kind of 3D yet ? Flying around slowly , but while right-side-up , up-side-down , side-ways ( knife edge ) , inside loops , outside loops , knife edge loops , etc. Here are a couple of my favorite 3D ( and 4D with reversible thrust ! ) videos .
F-3-P Expert Ланцов Алексей (2 min 17 sec)

4D rc indoor electric plane (2 min 44 sec)
Old Aug 12, 2012, 08:52 PM
New Hampshire-seacoast area
Joined Jun 2005
1,755 Posts
Hey nightstone that thing flies great!, You have some real good control with those big control surfaces.
Have you guys tried Blenderm tape from 3M?? You can get it at almost any good chain pharmacy, it sticks real well and is used for bandaging. I use the 2" wide stuff. I usually use it on both sides, running a skewer point down the V cut out to make both sides stick in th V groove

It still crackes me up to take off standing it on it's tail
praymond is offline Find More Posts by praymond
Old Aug 12, 2012, 11:00 PM
20 years on the Internet
Joined May 2012
898 Posts
Al

I started off in these forums here 3 1/2 months ago with a champ. Folks told me I could not go from a champ to 3D. So I picked up a Piaget and a Pluma. While they were on the way I found the scratch builts and built 2 Piagets. I started flying one just to prove I could and then got distracted by all the cool planes in here. Its been a wild ride. I can fly my Piaget just not good at the 3D stuff yet. The winds here usually are bad. Add to that 110 plus temps and nasty thermals. So no 3D till it cools.

Thats why the "Super Easy" was so important to me. I can fly it in the wind and nasty thermals. Now with the Elevon version I can do some pretty cool stuff. So you put the fly back into flying.

A few other planes fly okay in light winds but the light epp Piaget gets blown all over the place.

Nighstone
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Nightstone; Aug 12, 2012 at 11:12 PM.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 11:11 PM
20 years on the Internet
Joined May 2012
898 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by praymond View Post
Hey nightstone that thing flies great!, You have some real good control with those big control surfaces.
Have you guys tried Blenderm tape from 3M?? You can get it at almost any good chain pharmacy, it sticks real well and is used for bandaging. I use the 2" wide stuff. I usually use it on both sides, running a skewer point down the V cut out to make both sides stick in th V groove

It still crackes me up to take off standing it on it's tail
Thanks... It does fly great. 4 flights today. One in 13 mph winds and it did great.

Are you putting the tape on all the surfaces? I looked the tape up and its kinda pricey. Rc Forums were saying its the best tape out there.

I have been removing the paper off the foam and using cheap duck packing tape. Not Duct tape, Duck tape. Pretty strong stuff.

Nightstone
RCG Plus Member