HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 08, 2012, 10:17 PM
Old Fogey-ish
United States, WA, Vancouver
Joined Aug 2010
2,104 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by praymond View Post
got some cool vids today, tried to upload to rcgroups, but it crashed, will try on vimeo next
What has worked best for me is to download the video to YouTube , copy the link to the video , and then paste it into the post in RC Groups . I imagine it will work the same way for Vimeo . Can't wait to see them !
balsa or carbon is online now Find More Posts by balsa or carbon
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 09, 2012, 07:10 AM
New Hampshire-seacoast area
Joined Jun 2005
1,755 Posts
vids finally

here's some fun from last night

grandkids want one each now LOL

Swazey2 (3 min 44 sec)
praymond is offline Find More Posts by praymond
Old Aug 09, 2012, 11:35 AM
Old Fogey-ish
Joined Aug 2010
2,104 Posts
Quote:

https://vimeo.com/47216562
NICE ! Thanks for posting the video . Looks like a LOT of fun ! How many more do you have to make now ?
Old Aug 09, 2012, 11:46 AM
New Hampshire-seacoast area
Joined Jun 2005
1,755 Posts
LOL 3 one spare and 2 for the kids
praymond is offline Find More Posts by praymond
Old Aug 09, 2012, 05:24 PM
Old Fogey-ish
Joined Aug 2010
2,104 Posts
Quote:
LOL 3 one spare and 2 for the kids
Cool ! Do you think your grandkids will be up for some foamy COMBAT with Grandpa ?
Old Aug 09, 2012, 05:50 PM
Old Fogey-ish
Joined Aug 2010
2,104 Posts
Succesfull Experiment

Nightstone , tried a quick and dirty jet-like build ( from DT foam of course ) , the little thing flies SWEET ! I'll definitely be pursuing this one ! Gotta put something neon on it for orientation , though .
Old Aug 09, 2012, 11:08 PM
Do You Grok This
United States, AZ, Phoenix
Joined May 2012
744 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by balsa or carbon View Post
Nightstone , tried a quick and dirty jet-like build ( from DT foam of course ) , the little thing flies SWEET ! I'll definitely be pursuing this one ! Gotta put something neon on it for orientation , though .
Now that has a mean look to it. Very nice design... May try that too... You can see from where im landing from my vids that its rough terrain. So skids on the bottom is great for me.

Nightstone
Nightstone is offline Find More Posts by Nightstone
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Nightstone; Aug 10, 2012 at 12:23 AM.
Old Aug 09, 2012, 11:20 PM
Do You Grok This
Joined May 2012
744 Posts
I went out late afternoon to fly my SE. Went vertical right off the bat hard. Took it way up doing a few loops, twirls, etc. Was being real hard on the plane. All of a sudden she started acting all sluggish. Turns were ultra slow. I almost did not pull out of several dives. Could not figure out what was wrong. So I flew her that way about 10 more minutes... can you guess what was wrong?

When I landed and looked at her I wanted to thump myself. One of the elevator horns had broken loose in the rough play. The fact she flew with only one elevator flap is simply amazing. Shes fixed now....

Got a few motors in today along with 2 esc's. Will be doing that jet this weekend and building a second SE. These will be airbrushed. Tomorrow I have to finish my son in laws Snowball then its cut, paint and tape time.

make sure you post a vid of that jet.

Nightstone
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 10, 2012, 12:27 AM
Do You Grok This
Joined May 2012
744 Posts
Quote:

https://vimeo.com/47216562
Way to go GRAMPA!!! Nothing like hearing that level of excitement from the grand kids.

Take a look at this glider. made it for my grand kids and they loved it. Prequel to actual rc flight.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1600001

Nightstone
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 10, 2012, 02:46 PM
Old Fogey-ish
Joined Aug 2010
2,104 Posts
Video of jet

Here's a video of the little jet . Set the camera on a picnic table and tried to fly within the camera's view . Gotta put a little differential in to make the roll more axial .
Dollar Tree foam board RC jet (2 min 17 sec)
Old Aug 10, 2012, 03:00 PM
Do You Grok This
Joined May 2012
744 Posts
Quote:
Here's a video of the little jet . Set the camera on a picnic table and tried to fly within the camera's view . Gotta put a little differential in to make the roll more axial .
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_Tfz...hannel&list=UL
Flies great... Like that little flare at the end. Seems very responsive. How big is that motor you are using?

Nightstone
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 10, 2012, 03:19 PM
Old Fogey-ish
Joined Aug 2010
2,104 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightstone View Post
Flies great... Like that little flare at the end. Seems very responsive. How big is that motor you are using?

Nightstone
The motor is a little 200 watt 3700kv brushless inrunner ( 4.75 x 4.75 prop ) I've had for a while . It's the only inrunner I've ever had , and it has a heatsink mount 'cause that little sucker gets HOT ! I have a 300 watt 3440kv outrunner ( 6x4 prop ) that I'm going to put on the next one - should give it unlimited vertical ! How's your build coming along ?
Old Aug 10, 2012, 06:12 PM
Do You Grok This
Joined May 2012
744 Posts
Quick question AL ( may not be so quick ). Okay... have the bullets soldered on everything. Horns and hinges are cut. Ready to build.

When I saw how fast you came in it brought up the whole faster KV thing in my head. Keep in mind i'm only 3 months or so into the sport. Anyways... Higher KV motors build up speed slower but fly faster. Can you reverse the process on landing? I should be able to burn off speed and still stay air born correct? Its just a little slower than with a lower KV motor?

Reason i'm asking is my landing area is rough and I cannot fly in the public areas with grass. I fly in a rock and dirt field and I'm real careful on landings.

Wanting to get my ducks in a row.

Nightstone
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 10, 2012, 08:56 PM
Old Fogey-ish
Joined Aug 2010
2,104 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightstone View Post
Quick question AL ( may not be so quick ). Okay... have the bullets soldered on everything. Horns and hinges are cut. Ready to build.

When I saw how fast you came in it brought up the whole faster KV thing in my head. Keep in mind i'm only 3 months or so into the sport. Anyways... Higher KV motors build up speed slower but fly faster. Can you reverse the process on landing? I should be able to burn off speed and still stay air born correct? Its just a little slower than with a lower KV motor?

Reason i'm asking is my landing area is rough and I cannot fly in the public areas with grass. I fly in a rock and dirt field and I'm real careful on landings.

Wanting to get my ducks in a row.

Nightstone
That landing in the video was actually WITH the wind , I usually try to land INTO the wind so I can land at a slower ground speed .
I'm still learning all this stuff myself , but I think coming in for a landing fast or slow is more a matter of airframe design and wing loading than motor kv . I've heard that a KFm2 will let a jet fly slower - I think you're planning on doing that , right ? You might also consider landing gear for the dirt landings .
Old Aug 10, 2012, 10:53 PM
Do You Grok This
Joined May 2012
744 Posts
Quote:
That landing in the video was actually WITH the wind , I usually try to land INTO the wind so I can land at a slower ground speed .
I'm still learning all this stuff myself , but I think coming in for a landing fast or slow is more a matter of airframe design and wing loading than motor kv . I've heard that a KFm2 will let a jet fly slower - I think you're planning on doing that , right ? You might also consider landing gear for the dirt landings .
After watching this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...v=6H-s7yuJcwk#!

I was thinking of adding dihedral and going KFm1. The Kfm1 in the vid kept flipping the jet over. Dihedral would balance that out and hopefully give me an interesting plane.

Decided i'm going to do this in steps. Have not crashed in a while and my landings are spot on so will take it slow. First one with dihedral, KFm1 and elevons. Then go to a flat wing with KFm2. Got lots of foam and tape lol.

Going to start the first here in a few... My paint gun bit the dust tonight so no paint till I get it replaced tommorow.

Nightstone
RCG Plus Member