SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 07, 2012, 06:54 PM
20 years on the Internet
United States, AZ, Phoenix
Joined May 2012
909 Posts
Nice VTOL Slim... Does fly nice huh...

Al

I broke down this morning and ordered a few more motors from HobbyKing USA. My other orders are still weeks out. This way I have a few cheap motors to play with over the weekend. I have 9 motors, 6 esc's, 14 servos, and a bunch of connectors and prop savers coming in. I have the bug.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=5428

These were cheap and usable on a 5-7 inch prop. 37 gram and 2-3s. Only 2000 KV.

they had that one you mentioned with the 4x4 prop but it seemed a bit large for a smaller Super Easy.

Now I can play this weekend...

Nightstone
Nightstone is online now Find More Posts by Nightstone
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 07, 2012, 07:24 PM
Hot glue held together by foam
United States, WA, Vancouver
Joined Aug 2010
2,850 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightstone View Post

Al

I broke down this morning and ordered a few more motors from HobbyKing USA. My other orders are still weeks out. This way I have a few cheap motors to play with over the weekend. I have 9 motors, 6 esc's, 14 servos, and a bunch of connectors and prop savers coming in. I have the bug.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=5428

These were cheap and usable on a 5-7 inch prop. 37 gram and 2-3s. Only 2000 KV.

they had that one you mentioned with the 4x4 prop but it seemed a bit large for a smaller Super Easy.

Now I can play this weekend...

Nightstone
It's no fun waiting for parts to arrive when you want to play NOW !!! Can't wait to see your first rocket !
balsa or carbon is online now Find More Posts by balsa or carbon
Old Aug 07, 2012, 07:36 PM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Dec 2010
536 Posts
Quote:
Haven't tried the L part yet but I'll bet it's possible.
Taking my family to the beach next weekend and this one and a spare frame are definitely coming along.
I just took mine to my neighborhood spot and got 10 plus minutes on an 800mah 2s using lift from the small slope. I also destroyed my second to last 1000mah 3s battery. I was pulling my fourth loop in a row when it went flying. Hit the ground about a 100 feet away and crushed the ends of two cells. Oh well, I think I got my money's worth.
slim1357 is offline Find More Posts by slim1357
Old Aug 07, 2012, 11:29 PM
New Hampshire-seacoast area
Joined Jun 2005
1,755 Posts
Nope, got to get my grandson out with me or charge up my hat cam!

I did fly it in some wind for a short time before work, and other than a little shuddering, the wind certainly doesn't knock it off it's track like normal wing'd plane. Which is amazing for such a lite craft.

It's sooo easy to land, just swing around into the wind down low and flop her on the grass-- the point doesn't enev stick into the ground. would be good for taking vids when it's calm too
praymond is offline Find More Posts by praymond
Old Aug 07, 2012, 11:50 PM
Joined Aug 2010
2,850 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slim1357 View Post
Haven't tried the L part yet but I'll bet it's possible.
Taking my family to the beach next weekend and this one and a spare frame are definitely coming along.
I just took mine to my neighborhood spot and got 10 plus minutes on an 800mah 2s using lift from the small slope. I also destroyed my second to last 1000mah 3s battery. I was pulling my fourth loop in a row when it went flying. Hit the ground about a 100 feet away and crushed the ends of two cells. Oh well, I think I got my money's worth.
Velcro failure ? What happened to the plane when the battery left ( along with the CG ) ?
Old Aug 08, 2012, 02:05 PM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Dec 2010
536 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by balsa or carbon View Post
Velcro failure ? What happened to the plane when the battery left ( along with the CG ) ?
Basically. I was pulling high Gs. The plane just kind of fluttered down, with a minor ding to the nose. Plugged everything back in and took off again.
slim1357 is offline Find More Posts by slim1357
Old Aug 08, 2012, 02:25 PM
20 years on the Internet
Joined May 2012
909 Posts
Al

Parts come in tomorrow. My plan at this point is to go with a 3/4 size version. Elevon controls. Add in a little bit of dihedral but not too much. Move the motor several inches forward because of the long shaft. This should help with batteries to far forward. 5-6 inch prop. 3s.

What I want out of the plane. Beginner elevon jet trainer. I want speed and the ability to fly slow. High alpha would be nice. Nice roll rate. Inverted flight and inverted loops. Vertical take off. Pretty much a cheap beginner jet.

Only question is the dihedral. I would still like a bit of self righting. But too much. It may effect roll too much and inverted flight. What are your thoughts?

Nightstone
Old Aug 08, 2012, 03:22 PM
Joined Aug 2010
2,850 Posts
Quote:
Al

Parts come in tomorrow. My plan at this point is to go with a 3/4 size version. Elevon controls. Add in a little bit of dihedral but not too much. Move the motor several inches forward because of the long shaft. This should help with batteries to far forward. 5-6 inch prop. 3s.

What I want out of the plane. Beginner elevon jet trainer. I want speed and the ability to fly slow. High alpha would be nice. Nice roll rate. Inverted flight and inverted loops. Vertical take off. Pretty much a cheap beginner jet.

Only question is the dihedral. I would still like a bit of self righting. But too much. It may effect roll too much and inverted flight. What are your thoughts?

Nightstone
I think you're right about the dihedral , too much would effect the roll and inverted . Maybe just for experimentation try a quick "paper on" airframe with a little dihedral and see how it works - if it doesn't then you've only wasted $1 and some time . Once you got the right airframe build figured out , then proceed with a more permanent "tape on" build .
I don't know if you saw a few posts ago I tried making sort of a flying wing , that was a quick "experimenting" build - it flew just OK . Not pursuing it . Did another experimental build yesterday , kind of a SUPER EASY That utilizes ALL of the two sheets of DTF, and has one elevator and ailerons . Well , the ailerons were USELESS , so today I'm putting on two rudders . But I think it has potential especially for VTO because of the TWO keels ( shouldn't tip to one side , only forward , on take off ) .
Old Aug 08, 2012, 05:27 PM
20 years on the Internet
Joined May 2012
909 Posts
Quote:
I think you're right about the dihedral , too much would effect the roll and inverted . Maybe just for experimentation try a quick "paper on" airframe with a little dihedral and see how it works - if it doesn't then you've only wasted $1 and some time . Once you got the right airframe build figured out , then proceed with a more permanent "tape on" build .
I don't know if you saw a few posts ago I tried making sort of a flying wing , that was a quick "experimenting" build - it flew just OK . Not pursuing it . Did another experimental build yesterday , kind of a SUPER EASY That utilizes ALL of the two sheets of DTF, and has one elevator and ailerons . Well , the ailerons were USELESS , so today I'm putting on two rudders . But I think it has potential especially for VTO because of the TWO keels ( shouldn't tip to one side , only forward , on take off ) .
I have lots of foam and as long as I don't buy $200-500 planes and crash em the wife's okay with my hobby. Guess im lucky that way.

I have been thinking about different angles too. Do the same cut you make and glue it in a diamond shape with big Elevons. that and a skid up front for touch and goes.

sorry about the ailerons...

Nightstone
Old Aug 08, 2012, 06:35 PM
Joined Aug 2010
2,850 Posts
Quote:
I have lots of foam and as long as I don't buy $200-500 planes and crash em the wife's okay with my hobby. Guess im lucky that way.

I have been thinking about different angles too. Do the same cut you make and glue it in a diamond shape with big Elevons. that and a skid up front for touch and goes.

sorry about the ailerons...

Nightstone
I like that design - but what about VTO's ?
Old Aug 08, 2012, 08:17 PM
20 years on the Internet
Joined May 2012
909 Posts
Quote:
I like that design - but what about VTO's ?
You could put a small horizontal delta shaped piece on the fuse at the back and that would be your stand.

Nightstone
Old Aug 08, 2012, 08:38 PM
Joined Aug 2010
2,850 Posts
Quote:
You could put a small horizontal delta shaped piece on the fuse at the back and that would be your stand.

Nightstone
Make it happen ! Looking forward to seeing it !
Old Aug 08, 2012, 08:47 PM
20 years on the Internet
Joined May 2012
909 Posts
Like this...

Nightstone
Old Aug 08, 2012, 09:00 PM
Joined Aug 2010
2,850 Posts
Quote:
Like this...

Nightstone
OK , I get it !
Old Aug 08, 2012, 10:03 PM
New Hampshire-seacoast area
Joined Jun 2005
1,755 Posts
vids

got some cool vids today, tried to upload to rcgroups, but it crashed, will try on vimeo next
praymond is offline Find More Posts by praymond