SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 05, 2012, 07:53 AM
USA, IL, Wheaton
Joined Oct 2010
564 Posts
Working toward my maiden

Quote:
Originally Posted by balsa or carbon View Post
Looks like it's all coming along GREAT! When's the maiden ?
Al
Hoping to get it built soon and maidened before the end of the month. My soaring club has a big sod farm field where I might need to do it, depending on how fast it is.

Hoping I don't need to add more than 2 ounces of nose weight to get it to balance right at 14 inches. I have a bit of safety/economic concern with putting a big, expensive (at least relative to foam board) battery near the nose without covering or housing.

I'm thinking of putting a small pod of 3/4 inch pink foam about 6 inches long under the nose to shield the battery. If I were designing it from scratch to take such a pod, I'd make the nose at least 2 inches wider on each side. The keel would be at least 2 inches deeper at the nose as well. You would need an extra sheet of foam board, but I believe that would be well worth the extra insurance on the battery. The pod could be less than 2 inches across and tapered at the rear, to keep the airflow to the slot undisturbed. Since the weight of the pod is well forward, and likely to be small, it's not likely to add much to the final balanced weight of the plane.

I think I'm trying to stick to the spirit of this quick build plane. As I said in my reply to Nightstone, i'm not looking for speed. I realize that that is a matter of taste, and flying experience, and let anyone go for it, if that's their wish.

The vector kite is surely one extreme of the wing loading envelope. How much power does it take to go upwind? I've flown a rubber band powered P-30 free flight at 2 ounces per square foot. The 9.5 inch prop had it hovering all the way through a 62 second flight at 12 mph wind once. It wouldn't turn and landed 100 yards sideways from the launch point.

Getting things to fly is always fun, and I'm grateful you're giving me another chance to do it.

Joe
DuPageJoe is offline Find More Posts by DuPageJoe
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Bong Eagles Fall Indoor Meet
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 05, 2012, 08:00 PM
20 years on the Internet
United States, AZ, Phoenix
Joined May 2012
909 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuPageJoe View Post
Al
Hoping to get it built soon and maidened before the end of the month. My soaring club has a big sod farm field where I might need to do it, depending on how fast it is.

Hoping I don't need to add more than 2 ounces of nose weight to get it to balance right at 14 inches. I have a bit of safety/economic concern with putting a big, expensive (at least relative to foam board) battery near the nose without covering or housing.

I'm thinking of putting a small pod of 3/4 inch pink foam about 6 inches long under the nose to shield the battery. If I were designing it from scratch to take such a pod, I'd make the nose at least 2 inches wider on each side. The keel would be at least 2 inches deeper at the nose as well. You would need an extra sheet of foam board, but I believe that would be well worth the extra insurance on the battery. The pod could be less than 2 inches across and tapered at the rear, to keep the airflow to the slot undisturbed. Since the weight of the pod is well forward, and likely to be small, it's not likely to add much to the final balanced weight of the plane.

I think I'm trying to stick to the spirit of this quick build plane. As I said in my reply to Nightstone, i'm not looking for speed. I realize that that is a matter of taste, and flying experience, and let anyone go for it, if that's their wish.

The vector kite is surely one extreme of the wing loading envelope. How much power does it take to go upwind? I've flown a rubber band powered P-30 free flight at 2 ounces per square foot. The 9.5 inch prop had it hovering all the way through a 62 second flight at 12 mph wind once. It wouldn't turn and landed 100 yards sideways from the launch point.

Getting things to fly is always fun, and I'm grateful you're giving me another chance to do it.

Joe
I used some scrap epp to make a nose tip to help shield the battery and absorb impact if I did nose it in. It was wasted as the plane flies great.

Both the large and the small half size one have flown great. I only have 3 months in the sport and the plane is cake to fly. The big one can fly both slow and fast with the weight its at. The small one was under powered and had one speed ( Barely able to fly ).

Three weeks till my motors come in and the fun really starts. we will find out how zippy and acrobatic I can make one of these. KFM and Elevons. Should be great fun.

Nightstone
Nightstone is offline Find More Posts by Nightstone
Last edited by Nightstone; Aug 05, 2012 at 08:06 PM.
Old Aug 05, 2012, 08:20 PM
Hot glue held together by foam
United States, WA, Vancouver
Joined Aug 2010
2,848 Posts
SUPER EASY flying wing(ish)

Took the same two S.E. wing pieces and glued them together end to end to make sort of a flying wing - flew OK . Probably not worth pursuing . On to the next idea !
balsa or carbon is offline Find More Posts by balsa or carbon
Old Aug 06, 2012, 05:42 PM
USA, IL, Wheaton
Joined Oct 2010
564 Posts
Al
Good to see you're experimenting.

Have you tried a canard on the regular sized Super Easy. I was looking in Jack Botermans' "Paper Flight" book, and saw his "Saab Viggen" paper replica with a small triangular canard. Sort of XB-70 as I recall. Maybe a KFM delta with 10% of the main wing area at a slight positive angle of attack would stall first to drop the nose and keep the main wing from stalling.

Got to get back to putting in my servos

Joe
DuPageJoe is offline Find More Posts by DuPageJoe
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Bong Eagles Fall Indoor Meet
Old Aug 06, 2012, 07:18 PM
Joined Aug 2010
2,848 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuPageJoe View Post
Al
Good to see you're experimenting.

Have you tried a canard on the regular sized Super Easy. I was looking in Jack Botermans' "Paper Flight" book, and saw his "Saab Viggen" paper replica with a small triangular canard. Sort of XB-70 as I recall. Maybe a KFM delta with 10% of the main wing area at a slight positive angle of attack would stall first to drop the nose and keep the main wing from stalling.

Got to get back to putting in my servos

Joe
Yeah , making a canard has been in my head for a while now - I'll give it a try !
Old Aug 06, 2012, 09:22 PM
Joined Jul 2012
11 Posts
I'm a first-time builder so this may seem like an obvious question, but how do you get a consistent 45-degree bevel across the wide edge of the foam? I've had no trouble cutting out all the pieces with my exacto knife, but I've tried to bevel a few pieces of scrap without any luck. All my DTFB still has the paper on.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
Mondito73 is offline Find More Posts by Mondito73
Old Aug 07, 2012, 01:02 AM
Joined Aug 2010
2,848 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondito73 View Post
I'm a first-time builder so this may seem like an obvious question, but how do you get a consistent 45-degree bevel across the wide edge of the foam? I've had no trouble cutting out all the pieces with my exacto knife, but I've tried to bevel a few pieces of scrap without any luck. All my DTFB still has the paper on.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
I do it like in the video , but X-acto makes a "foam board cutter" that can make the bevel cut - I've seen them at Michael's Arts and Crafts store .
You can also do it with TWO metal rulers to guide the blade , one underneath the foam flush with the edge , and the other on top of the foam away from the edge a distance that is the same as the thickness of the foam board . Have that bottom ruler hanging over the edge of your table a little when you make the cut .
Beveled Edges (1 min 20 sec)

Let me know how your plane turns out - with photos and video if possible !
Last edited by balsa or carbon; Aug 07, 2012 at 03:01 AM.
Old Aug 07, 2012, 02:19 AM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Dec 2010
536 Posts
Quick and dirty with supplies on hand. 3000 kv version of blue wonder motor. 4.75x4.75 prop. Took about 3 hours with a few beer breaks. Maiden tomorrow AM.
slim1357 is offline Find More Posts by slim1357
Old Aug 07, 2012, 02:43 AM
Joined Aug 2010
2,848 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slim1357 View Post
Quick and dirty with supplies on hand. 3000 kv version of blue wonder motor. 4.75x4.75 prop. Took about 3 hours with a few beer breaks. Maiden tomorrow AM.
Awesome Tim ! Do you think that motor/prop will be enough ?
Old Aug 07, 2012, 08:33 AM
Joined Dec 2010
536 Posts
Quote:
Awesome Tim ! Do you think that motor/prop will be enough ?
I hope so. I took the paper off the foam and applied packing tape so hopefully that saved me a fair bit of weight.
Old Aug 07, 2012, 01:52 PM
Joined Dec 2010
536 Posts
WOW! What an awesome flyer. Kudos Al, this thing flies like a dream. I was able to do VTOs, inside and outside loops. Incredibly stable, I tried several times to get it inverted and all it would do is roll back over. With the 3000kv motor and a 450mah 3s I got about 4 minutes of flight. A 800mah 2s got me around 7 or 8. I only have 2 1000mah 3s batteries right now but those ones seemed to give the best balance and flight times/power combo. Here's a short video:
Super EZ (1 min 0 sec)
Old Aug 07, 2012, 02:09 PM
Joined Aug 2010
2,848 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slim1357 View Post
WOW! What an awesome flyer. Kudos Al, this thing flies like a dream. I was able to do VTOs, inside and outside loops. Incredibly stable, I tried several times to get it inverted and all it would do is roll back over. With the 3000kv motor and a 450mah 3s I got about 4 minutes of flight. A 800mah 2s got me around 7 or 8. I only have 2 1000mah 3s batteries right now but those ones seemed to give the best balance and flight times/power combo. Here's a short video:
http://youtu.be/GQo1wOGArRM
What a GREAT video ! Love the VTO's ! That little motor has some awesome power - surprised me !
For starting out just wanting to make a " paper airplane looking " RC plane , stumbled onto something pretty sweet !
Old Aug 07, 2012, 02:23 PM
Joined Dec 2010
536 Posts
Quote:
What a GREAT video ! Love the VTO's ! That little motor has some awesome power - surprised me !
For starting out just wanting to make a " paper airplane looking " RC plane , stumbled onto something pretty sweet !
No doubt, glad you ran with the idea. Now to see what I have left for LEDs...
Old Aug 07, 2012, 04:32 PM
New Hampshire-seacoast area
Joined Jun 2005
1,755 Posts
LOL that's wicked cool VTO!!

I was going to try that the next time out with mine

Mine flies just as steady, and will go straight up and get small real fast. Last time out I was chasing some birds that flew by.

Agree, Kudo's on a slick stable design
praymond is offline Find More Posts by praymond
Old Aug 07, 2012, 06:36 PM
Joined Aug 2010
2,848 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by praymond View Post
LOL that's wicked cool VTO!!

I was going to try that the next time out with mine

Mine flies just as steady, and will go straight up and get small real fast. Last time out I was chasing some birds that flew by.

Agree, Kudo's on a slick stable design
Thanks Praymond . Had a chance to shoot a video yet ?