Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
This thread is privately moderated by 3DNater, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jul 06, 2012, 12:17 AM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
7,859 Posts
Discussion
A brief history of me and RC

Hi all... I decided I might as well go ahead and make my first blog entry. I suppose the best thing to do is give a brief history of my RC experience.

I had always wanted to get into RC airplanes but it had been on the back of my mind for years until a co-worker introduced me to Realflight G3.5. I ended up borrowing it from him and logging close to 100 hours before I had ever gotten close to a real model.

My brother came across a local classified listing where this guy was getting out of the hobby and wanted to unload all his stuff. We paid him $150 and split the spoils in which I got a crashed and rebuilt GP Cap 232 with an OS 46fx glow engine. Included in the mess were several basic 4ch 72 mhz Tx/Rx setups and an old Futaba flight pack. So... I learned to fly on that Cap and crashed it many many times until it flew like a total turd! I ended up giving the airframe away to another guy for him to continue it's abuse

It wasn't long after I got my first plane and had a crack or two at flying it that I found rcgroups.com. waldopepperaxe found me floating around on some thread or other and invited me to the twistaholics thread as a place to hang my hat and learn from many great guys that were happy to help a total noob get started. I must have asked a hundred questions and always got nice repsonses. I owe a lot of what I know to those guys. Another person that has helped me gain probably the most information and knowledge. I had crashed the Cap pretty hard one day after it had some sort of control issue. I was actually really lucky to not hit who knows what in a townhome complex accross the street from the turf farm where I was flying. Anyway I was sure the plane was a total loss so of course I went looking for a new airframe and came across a local classified listing of a guy trying to sell over 100 kits and ARFs. So I texted him a low-ball offer on a GP reactor that I thought would fit my OS 46 pretty good. Of course he rejected my offer and I ended up calling him to ask what he had that he would sell to a noob who was interested in 3d for under $100. Ever since then I have been asking my friend Mike questions on almost a daily basis and he has become what I would consider to be a pretty close friend. This hobby has been so amazing for me in many many ways other than driving my poor wife crazy and the friendships that have developed over the past few years have become a true blessing for me.

About 1.5 yrs ago I got my first real 3d plane. It was a 3dhs 47" edge 540. I found bonedoc's tutorial vids and actually downloaded them all and made a book out of the write-ups with references to which dvd the corrosponding vid was located. Yes, I downloaded all the videos and put them onto dvd's. It wasn't long before I was doing some of the basic stuff with my little edge but rollers etc. were way out of reach until about a year later when I decided it was time to learn them. In the process of all of this I found the 3dhs addicts thread and started rubbing shoulders with all the guys there. The fanatics are a truly amazing group of guys and gals that teach me something or make me laugh every single day.

To learn rolling harriers I ended up slowing down the simulator physics in G5.5 to practice my stir. After about 10 hours of practice spread over probably 3 days I started to make some real progress. Then some fellow addicts took some time in a multiplayer session to help me get over the last few hurdles and I have been improving my rollers ever since. Now I am working on rolling to the right since I started rolling to the left and it is my dominant direction.

Currently I have a crashed 51 slick and a gas 70" Fantasy Blue Slick (gasser). I have a few other airframes but none of them are flyable at the moment.

I'll post some pics and vids later on. I just wanted to get this stuff down and I'm on my wife's computer without much access to pics etc.
3DNater is offline Find More Posts by 3DNater
Last edited by 3DNater; Jul 06, 2012 at 12:38 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 06, 2012, 01:20 AM
United States, CA, Hughson
Joined Jan 2012
1,064 Posts
I have a crashed slick too. Is your Fusalage still in good shape?? If you happen to want to sell it let me know. I bought a 51 slick and on the 2nd flight my elevator nut came off and I destroyed it. I have been trying to get ahold of 3dhs ever since and can't seem to get them to respond to me
hertzrepkeith is online now Find More Posts by hertzrepkeith
Old Jul 06, 2012, 01:03 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
7,859 Posts
My 51 slick is in rough shape but fixable. Which parts do you need?
Old Jul 07, 2012, 12:20 PM
Joined Jan 2012
1,064 Posts
I need just the Fusalage ! I even have the motor box for it. Man that would be awesome if you had one!!! I don't even care what color it is!!
Old Jul 07, 2012, 04:52 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
7,859 Posts
Whoa slow down there partner I don't want to part with mine I was just curious what parts you needed. If you have a motorbox then you should be able to fix the plane. It is rare that they are damaged to the point where a motorbox kit can't fix it. Maybe you should put some pics up on the 51 slick thread and some guys can give you some ideas. I have had to replace some of the balsa sheeting on mine before and while it was sort of a pain it is doable and you don't have anything to lose in the attempt. Post some pics
Old Jul 07, 2012, 05:28 PM
Joined Jan 2012
1,064 Posts
Lol this one is not even worth fixing! Probaly about a total of 400 pieces from the. Crash! I will post the pics but with my experience there is no way I can fix this. I took it to a friend that has been in the hobby for 40 yrs and he said that the amount of glue and different things that this plane is not worth fixing and I was better off just buying a new one or finding someone with a spare Fusalage. Man they way you worded that it sounded like you were ready to part way from it!
Old Jul 07, 2012, 10:44 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
7,859 Posts
Ya I realized that after I saw your response. I wish those air frames would just come back in stock. In the mean time I have been looking at this as an alternative for the 51 slick gear. http://www.chiefaircraft.com/prc-yak19-06.html
I saw the 26% version yesterday at my club field and it flew amazing. I have probably flown the 51 slick 200 times or more and I liked the pilot plane just as well. Of course that is comparing a 26% plane to a 51" plane so it isn't really quite fair but I think the 19% ought to fly just as well as the 51 slick. There is a virtue to being in stock.
Old Jul 07, 2012, 11:47 PM
Joined Jan 2012
1,064 Posts
Hey thanks! The problem is that when my slick went into the ground I went out and impulse bought a new cowl/ canopy/landing gear & motor Box ! So my point is that I am kind of invested in this 51" slick because I have all these spare parts. Now I realize if I want to buy a Fusalage it comes with a stab/rudder and canopy and is going to cost 178 so I mise well just buy the whole freakin plane for 238! Why is it so hard to get ahold of 3dhs and why is it taking so long to get these back in stock???