HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 05, 2012, 09:43 PM
I make bad look so good.
League City, Texas
Joined Sep 2006
2,516 Posts
Discussion
DevFus questions

I just downloaded DevFus again. I downloaded and tried the original when it came out, but this is version 2.0 so you can have fuselages that are more than just cigar shapes. After you import your side and top views and set your control points to your imported views you then are asked how many sections you want. Is there a way to import the cross sections that I already have? I don't see that as an option. Maybe you have to import them as part of the side view?

Ultimately I would like to export more than the seven cross sections that are shown in the drawing that I imported. Is that possible?
SteveC68 is online now Find More Posts by SteveC68
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 06, 2012, 04:10 AM
Australia, WA, Kalgoorlie
Joined Apr 2011
1,405 Posts
Your question had me wondering, so I started to play around a bit...... (my version is 2.01)

If you have the fuselage formers in .tif or .gif format, the game is on!

First import your top and side views of the fuselage as usual, then do your tracing of the top and side view by using the control points as you described.

Go to the next screen where you edit the formers. Set up the number of formers you wish to have, making sure that you have a former at each position where you have one on your 2/3 view.

Highlight whichever former you want to re-create, by clicking on the "Edit selected former" off the side menu. You should now have only one former in the DevFus display.

Click "Set background image" off the top menu, it will open a window to let you pick wherever your file is- double click on your file and it will be imported. Now go to the former you want to re-create on the .gif drawing, crop it, and the calibrate it (as you did in the prev. screen with the top/side views) in the VERTICAL plane. This will ensure that the vertical measurement of the . gif drawing former is the same as the former you are editing in DevFus. Click OK.

The former from your .gif drawing will now be set as the background to the former you are editing. It will now be up to you to adjust your DevFus former to look like the .gif drawing former.

This may be handy! If you have a 3 view with some formers, you can theoretically use those as described above, as "Control formers", and interpolate however many formers you want inbetween.

This is as far as I've gotten- will play some more with it in future as time permits. Please post your own discoveries here?

Hope that helps!

Odd
wizard of odd is online now Find More Posts by wizard of odd
Last edited by wizard of odd; Jul 07, 2012 at 01:02 AM. Reason: Added double spacing for clarity
Old Jul 06, 2012, 11:13 PM
I make bad look so good.
League City, Texas
Joined Sep 2006
2,516 Posts
At first it looked like that was going to work, but I kept getting an error when I tried to set the background image for the sections. In fact I couldn't back out of that window to set the background image for the section and had to force the application closed in windows task manager. Not sure if it's just the demo version that does that or not. Still the program is very slick.
Old Jul 07, 2012, 01:04 AM
Joined Apr 2011
1,405 Posts
May be worth to try to cut and paste the .gif drawing into the C/Program Files/DevFus/InstImages folder, then open it from there when prompted. Otherwise it may just be the demo version not playing nice...

Anyway, if I recall correctly the program didn't cost a fortune. Would it be worth your while purchasing it, or is this for a once-off project?

I hope you get it sorted either way!

Odd
Last edited by wizard of odd; Jul 10, 2012 at 10:34 PM.
Old Jul 07, 2012, 05:45 PM
I make bad look so good.
League City, Texas
Joined Sep 2006
2,516 Posts
It would be worth it as long as I can get it to work.
Old Jul 07, 2012, 10:30 PM
Joined Apr 2011
1,405 Posts
I just tried the method with these 3 views of the Beech D18- works as described... takes a fair bit of tweaking but it's completely feasible!
Last edited by wizard of odd; Jul 07, 2012 at 10:36 PM.
Old Jul 08, 2012, 04:57 PM
EDF rules... :)
Joined Nov 1999
13,586 Posts
Steve,

It works with jpeg also, jpegs are scalable. The way Odd explained it is how it has worked in the foam version DevFusFoam that I bought also.
I am still learning it but like you said it is slick.

Eric B.
AirX is offline Find More Posts by AirX
Old Jul 08, 2012, 09:12 PM
I make bad look so good.
League City, Texas
Joined Sep 2006
2,516 Posts
Yeah I was using jpegs. It accepts several different image types which is nice. I'll try again to see if I can get the demo to work.
Old Jul 09, 2012, 11:45 AM
I make bad look so good.
League City, Texas
Joined Sep 2006
2,516 Posts
Got it to work! One thing this program does is emphasize the importance of having good quality 3 views with cross-sections. I have some rather old drawings and the final 3D model was a jumbled mess due to the top view being wider at certain places than the cross-section at the same location.
Old Jul 09, 2012, 12:33 PM
EDF rules... :)
Joined Nov 1999
13,586 Posts
Cool, what was the problem or was it the sections were not close enough in size to make it work?
I plan on getting the 2d cad version to work this kind of problems out before I jump into DevFusFom or DevFus, this way it will be a bit easier to work.
I am sure you could do the same using AutoCAD and perform a little work on the veiws to make sure they are consistent in length and width, then shaping up the sections for the module work.

Cheers,
Eric B.
AirX is offline Find More Posts by AirX
Old Jul 09, 2012, 05:21 PM
Joined Apr 2011
1,405 Posts
He he..

Yes, those great looking scale 3 views can turn up a few surprises. I've had to use Eric's method of tracing the 3 view images, then correcting the discrepancies, in my 3D CAD program. For instance: This Islander's fuselage top view is approx. 12% longer than the side view

Steve- glad to hear you got it to work. What did you do?

Odd
Old Jul 10, 2012, 11:49 AM
I make bad look so good.
League City, Texas
Joined Sep 2006
2,516 Posts
I'm not sure what I did different this time, but I was able to set the background image without getting an error message. Now I'm having to "adjust" the views and sections so they match. When you draw the side profile shape from the top view into DevFus it sets the width of the fuselage. The sections don't match the width. I'm trying to model the FJ-4 Fury which doesn't have a flat part anywhere on the fuselage. The canopy is a very curvy/tricky area as well as the spine and back of the fuselage ahead of the horizontal stabs.

In all likelyhood there are just too few sections in the drawing that I have to get a really accurate shape. That is a real pain and if I knew someone local with a good 3D scanner setup I would probably go that route using a platic model.
Last edited by SteveC68; Jul 10, 2012 at 12:05 PM.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 08:08 PM
I make bad look so good.
League City, Texas
Joined Sep 2006
2,516 Posts
Yeah I have the last one which is from the Steve Ginter book on the FJ-4/FJ-4B. The sections are too few and too far apart not to mention they don't match the width of the top view. I also have the Ginter book and there aren't any additional drawings that might help. Although it has TONS of photos.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 09:55 PM
Joined Apr 2011
1,405 Posts
Hmm, just thinking aloud here....

You may be able to do the fuselage using the "conventional" DevFus method, but in two parts.

First would be the fuselage with the outline traced sans the ridge (or whatever it's called) on the spine. Finish it up and save as .dxf or print the formers.

Then do a second tracing of the ridge only, and use the "top rounded" former shape for the ridge- this will give you a flat bottom to the ridge. Save again as .dxf or print.

Now overlay the ridge formers at the correct height/elevation over the fuselage formers in CAD or on paper.

Worth a go?