Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Aug 06, 2012, 11:08 AM
USA, MA, Weymouth
Joined Mar 2004
1,095 Posts
If you might want real STEEL rigging, Mick Reeves has 'em...

Dear U2Builder:

The PIPE Here yet again - if you might ever want to consider actual flat STAINLESS STEEL "streamlined" rigging wires for your Stearman - like the no-longer-available Proctor flat steel rigging I used on the Fleet Finch...

...a check of Mick Reeves Models' page for such things, when you look about a third of the way down his page, you'll see near the left hand side there...

..."Hard Stainless rigging wire. Does not get kinked in use and is very strong.
1/16" x 0.015", 3/32" x 0.020", or 1/8" x 0.030 wide.
These are scale size and thickness, flat with rounded edges.
Difficult to tell from the scale oval section. 4.50 - 5 metre roll."

...that HE's the best source for such things worldwide these days!

With the British pound sterling going about $1.56 currently per on the exchange rate between the UK and USA, the 4.50 Mick's asking for a five meter (about 16 feet 5 inches) length roll of the 1/16th width rigging wire (closest for 1/6th scale) would be about seven bucks US currency before postage.

It doesn't sound like you'd need more than one roll of it, and two rolls of it, if needed, would only set you back under $15.00 before postage, to have some spare stock of it, besides some that might be needed for the tail feather rigging, if any.

Just a thought IF you're considering "going all the way" for rigging your Stearman, that's all...

Yours Sincerely,

The PIPE....!!
The PIPE is offline Find More Posts by The PIPE
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 06, 2012, 11:18 AM
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,956 Posts
Thanks Pipe.

No, I don't think I'll take it to that level. Probably try the elastic cord, and if it stretches too much I'll replace it. Sound simple and I need a little simple. LOL>
u2builder is online now Find More Posts by u2builder
Old Aug 06, 2012, 11:53 AM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,305 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by u2builder View Post
Thanks Pipe.

No, I don't think I'll take it to that level. Probably try the elastic cord, and if it stretches too much I'll replace it. Sound simple and I need a little simple. LOL>
My chording has been installed for several years. It displays no signs of deterioration.
TomCrump is offline Find More Posts by TomCrump
Old Aug 06, 2012, 12:16 PM
wood is good
United States, CA, Marina Del Rey
Joined Jun 2012
1,334 Posts
Ilkka--Your rebuild thread is truly inspiring. Thanks for sharing that with us.

U2--That's quite a fleet you've built!

Bet you'll be happier with the engine moved back.
loNslo is offline Find More Posts by loNslo
Old Aug 06, 2012, 04:54 PM
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,956 Posts
I am afraid it is not all of them! I am behind posting them.

Yep, happy with engine back, though a bit more work to do to secure the motor mount; need to take out fuel tank and put in new T nut. I think it made a big difference in appearance. Prop is probably only about 1/2" forward now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loNslo View Post

U2--That's quite a fleet you've built!

Bet you'll be happier with the engine moved back.
Old Aug 07, 2012, 05:28 AM
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,956 Posts
Stearman Pictures

Here goes with some progress pictures of the Stearman.

Cockpits area needs pilots, windshields, finishing.

I probably need to add some detail to the engine. It might look better black but the Saito would stick out more. Unfortunately I don't happen to have a Black version of the Saito 100.

I need to get some numbers and U.S. Navy to put on the side of the plane but can't decide exactly what I want to do.

I ordered some elastic cord. Won't know what it is like until it arrives.
Old Aug 07, 2012, 06:02 AM
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Oct 2011
8,454 Posts
I have some photos that may help....Google "smbrj"photography...click on 'aviation',then go to 'barnstormers'
This guy is local,and sells rides in his Stearman,painted as yours is..Not a lot of close ups,but some great detail shots,while flying.
If you check out the "Lenape" Cub photos,that's a 3 cylinder RADIAL in the Cub!
epoxyearl is online now Find More Posts by epoxyearl
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Water Sports
Old Aug 07, 2012, 06:17 AM
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,956 Posts
Thanks! Those are great photos. I couldn't take my eyes of the "detail" in the cockpit! (LOL). Seriously, good stuff for someone to look at that doesn't have the "real thing" close by. Thanks again.

After getting my eyes away from the Cockpit area I think this is the perfect example to copy, and a nice clear photo. The numbering system was very "disorganized". The part of the number or letter on the red band was always white, and the rest black, but how it was done seemed to be haphazard. This one is very nice.
Last edited by u2builder; Aug 07, 2012 at 06:34 AM. Reason: Eyes finally diverted from cockpit to study plane in picture.
Old Aug 07, 2012, 06:34 AM
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,956 Posts
I think I am going to paint my engine cylinders Black and the front of the engine Gray like the real thing. I wonder if I could spray the Saito with High Temp Black Paint. Any thoughts?
Old Aug 07, 2012, 06:50 AM
USA, MA, Weymouth
Joined Mar 2004
1,095 Posts
Howzabout some Jacobs radial PHOTOS for reference???

Dear U2Builder:

The PIPE here once again - from that Wikipedia photo at the Jacobs R-755 page, and THIS Google Images search for other photos of it, as well as this SECOND page at ScaleViews.com, I've found a ton of photos of the same full-scale mill that your Stearman's dummy radial mill "looks closest to"...

...hope those photos from the linked pieces of text in this reply can be of help to you !

Yours Sincerely,

The PIPE....!!
The PIPE is offline Find More Posts by The PIPE
Old Aug 07, 2012, 06:57 AM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,305 Posts
Jacobs pics ?
TomCrump is offline Find More Posts by TomCrump
Old Aug 07, 2012, 07:01 AM
Joined Oct 2011
8,454 Posts
I would just 'mist' a coat onto the Saito,but after seeing those photos,I agree you need a black engine..Heat transfer won't be affected enough to hurt anything,and if you mist the paint,it will trick your brain into thinking it IS black.

I'm Ultracoting the ARF Stearman today,may have some photos later this evening-Blue fuse-orange-yellow wings.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 07, 2012, 07:05 AM
Joined Oct 2011
8,454 Posts
If I can get free this weekend,I'll grab some shots of the full scale on the ground.He's 10 miles away,and takes rides each weekend.

I'll do the nomenclature/markings close-ups for you.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 07, 2012, 07:23 AM
Taken Lightly
Pietarsaari, Finland
Joined Mar 2003
331 Posts
Quote:
Ikka, your Stearman is super nice looking with lots of detail.
OK, I read the rest of the thread. The detail is incredible. Unbelieveable nice work. I am not sure I am glad I saw it as it makes mine look "like crap". Actually, I am glad because it is great to see that level of skill. What's amazing is the detail not only shows on the ground close up, but is even visible in the air.
Quote:
Originally Posted by loNslo View Post
Thank you for your comments. Please note almost all the details are just drops of glue, pins, tape etc. So nothing fancy

Well, I admit the sprung undercarriage and wheels are not just "drops of glue". Machining parts is a new thing for me. It is kinda hobby in a hobby.

Quote:
Do you remember the thickness of your elastic thread? Was it about 1 mm?
I think it is 1.5 mm. Mine is Prym brand but you may be able to find better looking alternatives. At first I used black cord and sprayed it silver. Subsequently I have replaced some of the cords with silver cords and they look way better. It has some kind of a metal wrapping around the base material.

Quote:
Originally Posted by epoxyearl View Post
I have some photos that may help....Google "smbrj"photography...click on 'aviation',then go to 'barnstormers'
This guy is local,and sells rides in his Stearman,painted as yours is..Not a lot of close ups,but some great detail shots,while flying.
Thank you for the link. I hope I had known this when I was building my Stearman.

-ilkka-
I. Klemetti is offline Find More Posts by I. Klemetti
Old Aug 07, 2012, 07:25 AM
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,956 Posts
Thanks so much guys for the photos of the engine. Engine's gotta have the black and gray. And I will "mist" the Saito. Can't really hurt it. I've got Black paint I use on the top of my wood cookstove. I'll check and see if it is "fuel proof" first.