HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 05, 2012, 03:41 PM
No, I dont work for HH ;)
Southampton, Hampshire, UK
Joined Sep 2009
3,768 Posts
Discussion
Bowerz's FPV escapades (newbie problems and possibly solutions)

Right, and so i start into the world of FPV so i'll give a quick rundown of where i expect to go and where i currently am. I plan for this thread to eventually turn into a guide for anyone trying to get into FPV to read into the problems i've had and hopefully learn from them!

Ok, to start off, i'm an avid 3PV (third person view ) flyer from the South of England, UK. Been flying for around 2/3 years and have a few different models, i regularly flew with an 808 cam on my AXN floater but found the annoyances of watching it back and thinking "i wish i flew a bit more tha way" etc. I'm also an avid extreme sport-er, if that's even a word. Becasuse of this i brought a gopro for combined use in sports and flying, that way in my logic i got a twice a good a deal following is a flight from my AXN with the GoPro

GoPro on AXN Floater - Evening Flight (3 min 30 sec)

And so i decided i would quite like FPV. I had seen videos of FPV flying and always quite liked the idea, but thought too expensive. I stumbled upon Bruce Simpson and his Xjet channel which opened my eyes to the fact FPV didn't have to be very expensive at all. There my research started. I fly 2.4 so started looking at 900mhz or 5.8ghz Vtx and Vrx options. I decided upon 5.8 for the reason of the gear is (from what i found) cheaper and there seemed to be more options available. Of which options, i chose the 200mw 5.8ghz Tx Rx combo from hobbyking (http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=15295) Once again as it was reasonably priced and heard good reviews. Sadly since ordering almost a month ago it's still on backorder so that is the only thing currently holding me back.

OSD
I have brought a HobbyKing E-OSD just to monitor my onboard voltage when flying as i think i'm going to get a bit carried away in the air! I will eventually get the HK OSD with GPS so i can pay attention to altitude and hopefully venture out a bit further and still have a Home direction incase i get disorientated.

LCD
For my viewing source, i have brought a philips PD7012 slave monitor which is basically one of those DVD headrest monitors but the one without the DVD. Had good reports from it, mine is a 7 inch, you can also get it in a 9 inch (PD9012) mine cost 30GBP including shipping from USA, quite the deal!

Camera
I plan to use my GoPro for my flight cam whilst also recording, two birds with one stone im thinking.

Quadcopter
I have ordered a 550mm frame and electrics from HobbyKing, This i plan to use mainly as a recording platform for extreme sports. 550 i think will be the perfect balance of agility and stabilisation (if there is such a thing). I may also properly FPv this around sites where the AXN just isn't viable.

Antennas
Curently building a Clover Leaf antenna for the vTx as i have heard nothing but good about them and will either get a circularly polarised directional antenna or skew planer wheel for the vRx (most likely, in time, both and a diversity).

I only plan to fly <750m first of all, that i will be happy with. My Rx is spektrum so i can't really expect too much more anyway. In the future i want to buy a LRS and go for 1.5+Km and put it all on a flying wing, but thats at least a year away yet!

Liam
Bowerz is offline Find More Posts by Bowerz
Last edited by Bowerz; Jul 05, 2012 at 04:35 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 05, 2012, 03:42 PM
Joined Sep 2009
3,768 Posts
Post Reserver for future expansion
Old Jul 09, 2012, 01:26 PM
Joined Sep 2009
3,768 Posts
So, after a few emails from HK over the past couple of days, it looks like my quad parts are on their way

Also it seems the vTx/vRx combo I have on backorder has just come back into stock, which can only mean it's getting posted to me very soon
Old Jul 21, 2012, 02:05 PM
Joined Sep 2009
3,768 Posts
Okay, all parts arrived today, however i'm getting really bad 'interference from what i can work out to be my motor, only horizontal lines on the screen and get worse as i power up. I will upload a photo of my setup in about half an hour. I have isolated all power from the plane power system using a separate lipo to power the vTx. It only goes away when i move the vTx physically away from the plane, however there isn't a place on my plane i can get it far enough away without it doing it.

And a test video of the intereference here: http://s320.photobucket.com/albums/n...t=16ab9f47.mp4

Is it worth putting a ferrite ring anywhere or is it i just have to move the transmiter as far away as possible? Would a CL antenna help? (guess not as that is signal strength solution not interference)
Last edited by Bowerz; Jul 22, 2012 at 02:52 AM.
Old Sep 01, 2012, 07:47 AM
FPV Noob
United Kingdom, Scotland, Aberdeen
Joined Jun 2011
291 Posts
Nice thread matey, for the interference I would recommend making yourself a simple LC Filter (a ferrite ring and a capacitor). Here is the guide I used to build mine: http://www.fpvuk.org/forum/index.php/topic,1214.0.html

Very easy to do and it works a charm. BTW the interference you're getting is because you're powering your FPV gear from the flight battery balance port, so any noise created by the ESC during throttle gets transmitted into your FPV gear, and voila, loads and loads of lines all over your nice picture

I got my ferrite rings from GiantShark: http://www.giantshark.co.uk/ferrite-...-p-404236.html 10 of them for 1.28 as opposed to about 2 each from Maplins!

Capacitors can be picked up very cheaply on eBay...

Good luck and happy flying matey!
-Al
fpsazerbaijan is offline Find More Posts by fpsazerbaijan
Old Sep 01, 2012, 07:51 AM
Joined Sep 2009
3,768 Posts
Thanks for the help Al,

Sadly a couple days after posting the last post on here, i lost the AXN! Went down about 400m away from me but not sure where exactly and still haven't been able to find it! However i am slowly getting the kit back i lost!
Old Oct 14, 2012, 06:32 PM
Estonia
Joined Jul 2011
50 Posts
TIP to FPV flyers: use a lost model alarm in every flight! Nice item is lipo alarm+lost alarm together, about 4 bucks. Search ebay: "tracker lipo alarm".
This is with two horns - the loudest the better.
FPVking is offline Find More Posts by FPVking
Old Oct 15, 2012, 04:43 AM
Joined Sep 2009
3,768 Posts
I have my plane back now! It was over a tree line i thought i hadn't passed. Great advice with the alarm but you really need to address the pane and any expensive parts too. I also have a if found please contact file on my SD card on the plane. Somebody found it with the motor still running and took them 2 months to think to look at the SD card
Last edited by Bowerz; Oct 15, 2012 at 04:49 AM.