SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 05, 2012, 03:39 PM
Redondo Beach, CA
Joined Jan 2007
169 Posts
Question
450 Thread Lock and Maintenance (Answered)

I recently built a 450 Sport V2 super combo--great kit and happy with the heli. I am still in hovering and beginning front to back and side to side movement. As I've said elsewhere, if I am doing any 3D it is because I've lost control.

I check over the heli after each outting, and I often find something that has come loose even though I have used the blue thread lock. It's usually not "falling out" loose, but when I give it a little tension check it just isn't tight anymore. So far the culprits have been, an inner swash ball, a lower mixer arm pivot screw, and the screw that holds one of the bearings that the flybar rocker arm rocks on.

Am I doing something wrong with the thread lock, or should I expect a certain rate of thread locked parts becoming loose?

Thanks,
Alan
ailevin is offline Find More Posts by ailevin
Last edited by ailevin; Jul 06, 2012 at 02:41 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 05, 2012, 05:47 PM
United States, WA, Issaquah
Joined May 2011
1,523 Posts
Oil is the enemy of threadlock. Clean the screws with alcohol before installation. Put threadlock on "inside" threads whenever possible, such as inside nuts or threaded mounting holes.

Then, for those screws that are close to bearings or other oiled parts, expect that oil will seep in and the threadlock will eventually fail. Check feathering shaft bolts and tail grip bolts/nuts often - you don't want those to come flying out in the air.

Congrats on your attentive maintenance though. Do keep an eye on all screws. I check all screws on all my helis every 15 flights or so just to make sure they still sit well.
Dr.M is offline Find More Posts by Dr.M
Old Jul 06, 2012, 02:48 PM
Redondo Beach, CA
Joined Jan 2007
169 Posts
Thanks for the quick response. Oil vs. thread lock explains the areas of loosening that I've seen. Also, I did not methodically clean each part in alcohol before applying thread lock during the build.

While I am asking questions, do thread locked screws and bolts have to be torqued down at all, or is snug plus thread lock enough?

Alan
ailevin is offline Find More Posts by ailevin