HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
View Poll Results: Will this RC Harrier jet ever be built or work?
I think it will work. I have 20$ to burn so here you go. 8 13.56%
I think it will work but you don't have the skills to do it so no $ for you. 4 6.78%
I would help with sponsorship but your plane kind of looks like crap. 4 6.78%
LOL another dead Harrier thread! Nice try loser. Get a job and buy your own damn stuff. 43 72.88%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Old Oct 01, 2012, 01:22 PM
Joined Aug 2007
4,075 Posts
I may be getting a simple 6 channel TX in tomorrow that has two switches that are two positions each and it has no end point adjustments. Can I add end point adjustments to it with pots?

I would also like to combine the two switches into a single three position switch. I just need three distinct sets of signals for the Arduino to detect from the two channels. Can someone tell me how to wire two switches into one three position switch
RCvertt is offline Find More Posts by RCvertt
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by RCvertt; Oct 01, 2012 at 02:06 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 03, 2012, 04:59 PM
Joined Aug 2007
4,075 Posts
Thanks to bhoove128 I now have a TX

It's a 6 channel radio with two, two position switches so the first thing to do was to combine those into one three position switch. Using the advice I got from our DIY friends I cracked open the case and got to hacken.

I used a suggested DPDT On-Off-On three position switch that I got from Fry's electronics. Already connected it up to the Arduino and it's working great.

The current code I'm using only reads in 5 channels so I'll see if I can move stuff around to get the needed 6th channel working also.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by RCvertt; Oct 03, 2012 at 05:25 PM.
Old Oct 05, 2012, 03:01 AM
Joined Aug 2007
4,075 Posts
Quick test of the new three position switch working. Looks like I don't need to add end point trim pots after all. All channels are already close enough to the 1000-2000 neighborhood they need to be in.

Brace yourself for the most exciting video ever

ThreePositionSwitchTest (0 min 38 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by RCvertt; Oct 05, 2012 at 03:06 AM.
Old Oct 06, 2012, 01:30 PM
Joined Aug 2007
4,075 Posts
It's ok to stop adding to the poll now. It would seam we have established that I'm a loser and need to get my own damn stuff.

I would like to take this opportunity to apologize to the Illuminate Masons and Scientologists for comments that I made earlier.

I have new information that suggests these poll results are a massive government conspiracy aimed at keeping foamy VTOL technology away from the masses, orchestrated by none other than Martha Stewart her self. Think about it people. You don't get super rich by making doilies all day. I've already said too much.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Chupacabra sighting !!!
Old Oct 09, 2012, 12:46 AM
Joined Aug 2007
4,075 Posts
Receiver has been working great. So I finished wiring up the Osprino and nothing happened

Saw that the light on the receiver wasn't on so I took a closer look at the receiver and saw that I had managed to drop a huge solder blob on it

Took about 30 minutes and cleaned it all off as best I could, plugged it in and nothing
I've never made this mistake before.

Unless someone else has an Airfield N6 receiver they will give me, this project will have to go on ice

If it's ok with everyone I think I will go crawl under a rock and die for a while, I'm so bummed out
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by RCvertt; Oct 09, 2012 at 01:05 AM.
Old Oct 09, 2012, 01:48 AM
Joined Aug 2007
4,075 Posts
Some light at the end of the tunnel.

Looks like another receiver can be had here if someone will send me one. I promise not to drop a solder blob on it
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 09, 2012, 03:02 AM
Joined Aug 2007
4,075 Posts
I thought linking the ailerons up to the Osprino tilt servo was going to be very difficult but I got the linkage set up perfect on the first try. Very happy about that.

Video should be a little more interesting once I get another receiver.
AileronLinkedToTiltServo (0 min 18 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by RCvertt; Oct 09, 2012 at 03:14 AM.
Old Oct 09, 2012, 02:09 PM
Joined Aug 2007
4,075 Posts
I take it Martha Stewart wasn't impressed with the messed up receiver. That explains number 32 but what about the other 31?

Didn't notice how that receiver can't be purchased from Nitroplanes any more. Might have to go with plan B and get a 32$ computer programmable one that they sell.

The Airfield one wasn't a total loss. Got the Osprino build completely done and couldn't have done that without it. Would have easily pushed this project back another 6 months without it. The solder blob wasn't quite the ending I had in mind for that receiver but it'll fly, or at least attempt to, in a couple weeks.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by RCvertt; Oct 09, 2012 at 02:21 PM.
Old Oct 09, 2012, 05:56 PM
Joined Aug 2007
4,075 Posts
It's alive Take that Martha.

I was ready to give it a proper burial in the trash can when I went for a hail mary pass in performing emergency surgery with an exacto knife. First I found a manual on how to bind this particular receiver but that would not work. RX light still wouldn't come on.

Figured I couldn't make it worse so I broke out the scalpel, put the patient under and got to work cutting the pins on one side of a chip that was looking at me funny. After I mangled it up good with the exacto knife, I put some more solder blobs on it and presto, the light now comes on.

Don't ask me how that fixed it but I'm not going to argue with it. The red mark area shows how big the solder blob was that originally messed it up.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by RCvertt; Oct 10, 2012 at 04:28 AM.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 01:18 AM
Joined Aug 2007
4,075 Posts
Test of the motor tilt servos using the TX/RX from bhoov128.

OsprinoMotorTiltTest (0 min 39 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 10, 2012, 08:32 AM
Romans 8:34-39
United States, FL, Davenport
Joined May 2012
8,258 Posts
I just saw an Osprey doing its tricks at the Cocoa Beach air show a couple of weeks ago. Truly a bad-ass machine. If this thing looks half as cool in the sky as a grown up Osprey that'll be an achievement in itself.

bhoov128 is offline Find More Posts by bhoov128
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Snice Slick
Old Oct 15, 2012, 09:32 PM
Joined Aug 2007
4,075 Posts
Would like to see a full size Osprey. I remember when I got to see real Harriers do their thing at an air show which I will never forget.

Doing a lot of cleanup of the quad code for this Osprino. Fine tuning some servo movements and gyro responses and should be able to see if this thing hovers soon.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 29, 2012, 09:32 PM
Joined Aug 2007
4,075 Posts
First out door hover test. Nothing special yet but it's off the ground.

If anyone knows where I can get some blue wonder motors in the 1000kv range I think that would help swing my big three bladed props.

Pitch control is better than I thought it would be. Had no roll control though. When it lifted off I tried to roll it back into the camera frame but it wouldn't go. I'll have to bump up the TX input a little and try again soon. Motors might be a little weak also. I'll see if I can source some more powerful ones. I think these are 1300 blue wonders but I also had some 1500 kv at one point so I'm not exactly sure which ones these are. I'm swinging 9 inch three bladed props so I'm pretty sure they are the 1300kv variety or they would have smoked swinging such large props.

OsprinoFirstHover (0 min 32 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 30, 2012, 06:20 AM
Winging it >
Joined May 2006
9,402 Posts
[QUOTE=RCvertt;23134734]First out door hover test. Nothing special yet but it's off the ground.

If anyone knows where I can get some blue wonder motors in the 1000kv range I think that would help swing my big three bladed props.

Pitch control is better than I thought it would be. Had no roll control though. When it lifted off I tried to roll it back into the camera frame but it wouldn't go. I'll have to bump up the TX input a little and try again soon. Motors might be a little weak also. I'll see if I can source some more powerful ones. I think these are 1300 blue wonders but I also had some 1500 kv at one point so I'm not exactly sure which ones these are. I'm swinging 9 inch three bladed props so I'm pretty sure they are the 1300kv variety or they would have smoked swinging such large props.

RCv,

You can get a 1000 kV variation of the Blue Wonder at TrueRC

I don't think it will help you the way you think it will. The lower kV wind is more efficient but also has lower power so the maximum thrust attainable will not increase. Another choice to swing bigger props is the DT750. It's heavier but will provide more thrust and good efficiency.
leadfeather is online now Find More Posts by leadfeather
Old Oct 30, 2012, 03:20 PM
Joined Aug 2007
4,075 Posts
Thanks for the info. Glad to see those are still available. Might be able to stay with the 9 inch props with those 1000kv motors but we'll see.

I'll keep those DT's in mind. Should be good for hovering but I'm worried about their weight when in forward flight with this small build.
RCG Plus Member