SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
View Poll Results: Will this RC Harrier jet ever be built or work?
I think it will work. I have 20$ to burn so here you go. 8 13.56%
I think it will work but you don't have the skills to do it so no $ for you. 4 6.78%
I would help with sponsorship but your plane kind of looks like crap. 4 6.78%
LOL another dead Harrier thread! Nice try loser. Get a job and buy your own damn stuff. 43 72.88%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Old Sep 11, 2012, 11:14 PM
Joined Aug 2007
4,186 Posts
Thanks Wilfor. I'll do my best to make sure we get a return on our investment
A lot of people have helped with this project already from the original AeroQuad this project started on, to the more recent MultiWii port. Could use a little help this time in the $ department if this one is to get off the ground in our life time.
RCvertt is offline Find More Posts by RCvertt
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by RCvertt; Sep 11, 2012 at 11:20 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 12, 2012, 02:03 AM
Altitude is my friend...
Southern California
Joined May 2009
1,599 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCvertt View Post
...There are those that won't be happy with anything less than a real Harrier put into a shrinking machine....
Exactly. Well put. Problem is, "those" will include almost everybody.

I dunno, but it seems like anything other than a shrunken AV-8B won't be accepted by the vast majority of flyers. If it won't hover at will like a real one, and transition back and forth with ease, and be a very-near-scale model, won't you be wide open to some pretty derisive and nasty criticism? You know what virtually everybody will be saying. It could get downright ugly.
Depronicus is offline Find More Posts by Depronicus
Old Sep 12, 2012, 02:32 AM
Joined Aug 2007
4,186 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Depronicus View Post
Exactly. Well put. Problem is, "those" will include almost everybody.

I dunno, but it seems like anything other than a shrunken AV-8B won't be accepted by the vast majority of flyers. If it won't hover at will like a real one, and transition back and forth with ease, and be a very-near-scale model, won't you be wide open to some pretty derisive and nasty criticism? You know what virtually everybody will be saying. It could get downright ugly.
If the people don't want it then they are free to voice that in the poll. Their will always be people that discriminate against foamies. However, I can assure you that she will be loved and protected against such attacks as best a father can. You will never get a decent flight time out of a scale looking RC Harrier of 10+ minutes, but people are welcome to keep trying. The best flight time I have heard of from a scale RC harrier is 4 minutes and she will cost you many thousands of $$$.

This one will hover at will like the real one, and transition back and forth with ease. It just won't look anymore scale than it already does. It'll cost about 200$ or less to build if plans are purchased which is way less than any other VTOL capable RC Harrier I have seen.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by RCvertt; Sep 12, 2012 at 06:31 AM.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 07:00 AM
Joined Aug 2007
4,186 Posts
Doesn't take a genius to see which way the wind is blowing in this poll. People don't even want to see a prototype built free of charge. I may have to keep it chained up in my basement for onlookers to view the beast at two bits a gander to help offset its R&D cost.

Looks like rough seas ahead but she will blast through the storm and be built, eventually.

I do take comfort in that the single yes vote isn't me this time. I won't be voting in this particular poll.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by RCvertt; Sep 12, 2012 at 09:22 PM.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 04:46 PM
Altitude is my friend...
Southern California
Joined May 2009
1,599 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCvertt View Post
...any other VTOL capable RC Harrier I have seen.
I've Googled and Googled for one, using every possible combination of "RC", "AV-8B", "Harrier", "jump jet", and "VTOL" , and only came up with that video of a gasser that took 19 years to develop, and as of 2008 was a barely-marginal flyer at best, along with that quadcopter with a foamie Harrier stuck on top of it.

Just found this video, posted last year, but all it shows is the plane going like hell conventionally, a clip of some sort of motor/duct test, and a very short clip of some tethered contraption swinging from a rope. I could find no later information on Ewald Schuster or his plane, so we have to assume he got no further than what we see on the video.

I also stumbled upon this thing, which is pretty funny, although it says a lot about how desperately people want a plane that will do what the real Harrier does.

So, I haven't found a radio-controlled model VTOL-capable Harrier yet. Am I not searching correctly?
Old Sep 12, 2012, 05:38 PM
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Aug 2009
1,031 Posts
...Found these a whiile ago...I know it's nota Harrier but...
F 35 VERTICAL TAKE OFF (1 min 55 sec)

F35 Vtol - From Vertical Take Off to Horizontal Flight di Moreno Lippi (1 min 8 sec)

Looks like it has a pretty nasty wingloading and looses a lot of altitude while transitioning to forward flight. In any event, it's the best I've seen so far... but not sure if this meets your criteria...

Wishing you all the best on this project. But you may be on your own (as most of us scratchbuilders are!) until you have a working prototype.
SNice is offline Find More Posts by SNice
Old Sep 12, 2012, 06:04 PM
Altitude is my friend...
Southern California
Joined May 2009
1,599 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SNice View Post
...I know it's not a Harrier but...it's the best I've seen so far... not sure if this meets your criteria...
Far and away the best seen. Thanks for posting it. It meets everybody's criteria, one would think. The landing needs a tiny bit of polishing, but that's all.

It appears that Moreno Lippi is really onto something. Any good Italian translators out there?

(Going straight to the YouTube page for the above also led me to this, unfortunately...)
Last edited by Depronicus; Sep 12, 2012 at 06:16 PM.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 08:39 PM
Joined Aug 2007
4,186 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SNice View Post
...Found these a whiile ago...I know it's nota Harrier but...

Looks like it has a pretty nasty wingloading and looses a lot of altitude while transitioning to forward flight. In any event, it's the best I've seen so far... but not sure if this meets your criteria...

Wishing you all the best on this project. But you may be on your own (as most of us scratchbuilders are!) until you have a working prototype.
Moreno has a build log in the VTOL section. I think it's a great variation of the Vertigo plane by Tom Hunt. I still have my Vertigo plans that I ordered many moons ago.

The drop in altitude might also be due to the quick movements his fan makes when transitioning. His code probably does a hard switch in the fans tilt servo movements but I couldn't say for sure since he hasn't release any code yet.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by RCvertt; Sep 12, 2012 at 09:11 PM.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 08:57 PM
Joined Aug 2007
4,186 Posts
Quote:
Far and away the best seen. Thanks for posting it. It meets everybody's criteria, one would think...
Does a flight time of 2.5 minutes meet your criteria?

His flight time doesn't meet my criteria. I asked him in his thread and he said it works for 2.5 minutes. My goal is 4 minutes. 3 minutes would barely be acceptable to me since I want to do a little more than just go around twice before I have to land.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by RCvertt; Sep 13, 2012 at 07:40 PM.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 09:57 AM
Joined Aug 2007
4,186 Posts
Quote:
...I could find no later information on Ewald Schuster or his plane, so we have to assume he got no further than what we see on the video...

...So, I haven't found a radio-controlled model VTOL-capable Harrier yet. Am I not searching correctly?
I just spoke to Ewald Schuster by PM a month or so ago when he invited me to see his latest Harrier flight tests, so he is still progressing on his build. He does a vertical landing on a TV show that is very close to perfect in my opinion so he is basically there. He has an awesome build that I don't want to take anything away from. This build just has different goals in mind than his.

It's not that you aren't looking hard enough, it's that you haven't been searching long enough. I've been searching for info for many years, not just the last few days or year. Aside from Ewald, SkyMasters was working on a scale turbine Harrier. There was another build like Eric's that used a glow engine ducted fan but even I can't find it anymore since I think the site no longer exists. Sergiot has built a hovering EDF profile Harrier that hovered and Moreno has built one similar to Sergiot's using the better looking HobbyKing sea harrier fuselage. Looks cool but as far as flight time I haven't heard any update yet.

If nothing else maybe this thread will help inform others of the challenges involved and inspire them to give it a try since not many people are in a rush to have me do it. I've already given away most of my code and already gave dimensions for this bird in this thread so it shouldn't be too difficult for someone else to build this version or something similar if they wanted to. Would save me some $ and R&D time if they did.

Its gotten to the point that I have so much Harrier knowledge in my head that it's starting to push my own hair out
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by RCvertt; Sep 19, 2012 at 12:03 AM.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 06:25 AM
Joined Aug 2007
4,186 Posts
With a whopping net total of -5 we only have 205 more votes to go until we reach our goal of 200.
So don't delay and pick up those phones. Operators, A.K.A. me and my dog, are standing by.

For those that want free plans I can completely understand that. After I make billions selling plans to my 4 supporters, it is my hope that they will spread this amazing knowledge to others for free. It's win, win for everybody.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by RCvertt; Sep 19, 2012 at 06:59 AM.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 08:19 PM
Proud of Brushless Sprouts
Belgium, Flanders, Antwerp
Joined Feb 2007
328 Posts
We're almost 90 posts far in this thread, when does the talking stop and the building start?
Commander Clumsy is offline Find More Posts by Commander Clumsy
Old Sep 20, 2012, 08:44 PM
Yea, it broke again
United States, OK, Edmond
Joined Feb 2008
7 Posts
Check out
[URL="http://www.Radicalconceptsrandd.com"]
RCRND is offline Find More Posts by RCRND
Old Sep 21, 2012, 12:46 AM
Joined Aug 2007
4,186 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Clumsy View Post
We're almost 90 posts far in this thread, when does the talking stop and the building start?
Sorry but this thread will have to go into hibernation for a while

Drove recently to an old address I found online for Nitroplanes, only to find that the building doesn't exist anymore and they don't allow walk-ins anyways so no transmitter for me

I'll have to wait until it becomes easier for me to order stuff online again unless someone knows where I can purchase one of these TX's in the Los Angeles area for 35$. That's all the Osprino needs before I can start testing so might as well see if that build is worth working on first. Then I could use the same TX for this Jump Jet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCRND View Post
Check out
Yup, seen it. Looks good. Wonder if they ever tried an EDF version? As best as I can tell it's two fans inline, one behind the other.Not the most efficient set up if that is what it is.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by RCvertt; Sep 21, 2012 at 08:29 AM.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 10:23 AM
Proud of Brushless Sprouts
Belgium, Flanders, Antwerp
Joined Feb 2007
328 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCRND View Post
Check out
My eyes! Aaargh!...
Commander Clumsy is offline Find More Posts by Commander Clumsy