HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
View Poll Results: Will this RC Harrier jet ever be built or work?
I think it will work. I have 20$ to burn so here you go. 8 13.56%
I think it will work but you don't have the skills to do it so no $ for you. 4 6.78%
I would help with sponsorship but your plane kind of looks like crap. 4 6.78%
LOL another dead Harrier thread! Nice try loser. Get a job and buy your own damn stuff. 43 72.88%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Old Aug 28, 2012, 05:27 PM
Joined Aug 2007
4,067 Posts
Dang! Every time I post a comment I get dinged again by another LOL I'm a scammer vote. If they had donated 20$ each as per the original plan we would all be bling blinging with our new Jump Jets by now

Staying strong I have yet a new plan. This one is not a scam but a plan. The plan is to keep the old paypal donation plan as well as the new "send me free HK parts directly" plan. With two plans working together to build our plane, it can't fail

So here is the deal. I have no new movies I need to see so starting now, as soon as enough people chime in to full fill the parts list, I'll give the go ahead to send it all in and then I can build it up and make the plans for you. Trust me

-------------List of Sponsors so far-------------------
1) TheDreamFactory- 20$ paypal Donation = One charger and one USB programming cable
2) bhoov128 - 20$ paypal Donation = HK 6 channel programmable TX
3) Not sure who the third vote was from. Who ever it was send your $$$ again so I can count you in this time. //Edit- forgot the first vote was me
4) Wilfor.- 20$ Paypal Donation = Flight battery pack.

///Edit- The above list is hypothetical. No $ has been collected yet. I still want to see how many people are interested first before I consider accepting $.
RCvertt is offline Find More Posts by RCvertt
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by RCvertt; Sep 13, 2012 at 07:58 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 31, 2012, 12:32 AM
Joined Aug 2007
4,067 Posts
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Chupacabra sighting !!!
Old Aug 31, 2012, 12:44 AM
Joined Aug 2007
4,067 Posts
Needs me some purty EDF units.

Got the wings and vertical tail on her. Can't do much more until I get me some EDF units.

The power is in your hands people. Will this project move forward or will the masses submit to the rich elite that don't wish to see the proliferation of such awesome technology to the masses. To be continued.....

...I hope.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by RCvertt; Aug 31, 2012 at 12:51 AM.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 07:03 AM
Old age is not for sissies
Dayton Intl, Ohio, United States
Joined Jan 2000
7,715 Posts
Personally I think your whole concept of money raising is ridiculous and a grand total of 2 donations vs the number of members on RCG shows I'm not alone. The normal business model is to prove a product and then offer it for sale.

However, if you really want to raise money for this project check out Kickstarter.

Azarr
Azarr is offline Find More Posts by Azarr
Last edited by Azarr; Aug 31, 2012 at 08:57 AM.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 03:42 PM
Joined Aug 2007
4,067 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azarr View Post
Personally I think your whole concept of money raising is ridiculous and a grand total of 2 donations vs the number of members on RCG shows I'm not alone...
So does this mean I can put you down as a sponsor.

As much as I would like to I can't really fund the R&D for everyone else.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 31, 2012, 08:19 PM
SG Talon... Super Genius.
Lenox, Michigan
Joined Nov 2005
3,131 Posts
Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet RCVertt. Save your pennies, get a paper route, cut your neighbor's lawn, lay off the Red Bull or Morning Coffee for a few weeks and you will save up the cash you need.

On a more important note, As a guy that has built a Harrier, http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1466697Stability is a serious issue. I didn't attempt a VTOL system at all and it took a few tweaks to get it to fly right.

I think the biggest issue with any Harrier is the wing loading. I ended up building a very large plane to be sure i didn't run into any weight issues. And i am only using 1 motor not 4!!

The other big issue is control. I had to enlarge my Vertical Tail quite a bit to solve some stability issues. I also had to go with Ailerons and Tailerons in order to get the thing to roll with any authority.

The big problem i think you are going to find with a quad EDF Harrier - after you solve the control and weight/wingloading issue is controlling 4 EDF's You are basically looking at a Quadrotor system. That requires a lot more than just a HK 6 CHannel radio. You are talking about some serious stuff. In order to control 4 EDF's so they can lift and control a plane.

Along with that you are going to probably want to control all 4 edf nozzles so you can transition into forward flight. That means 4 additional servos for nozzle tilt = more weight and cost.

As a guy with an obviously limited budget, you really should do some Research and Development on this plane and see what works and what doesn't , or go with a non-VTOL version first and get that flying before you go full blast on a transitioning VTOL.

A lot of people have spent a LOT of money trying to build a VTOL transitioning Harrier and failed.
SGTalon is offline Find More Posts by SGTalon
Old Aug 31, 2012, 08:39 PM
Retardedly intelligent
beavercreek,ohio
Joined Jan 2007
3,842 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGTalon View Post
Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet RCVertt. Save your pennies, get a paper route, cut your neighbor's lawn, lay off the Red Bull or Morning Coffee for a few weeks and you will save up the cash you need.

On a more important note, As a guy that has built a Harrier, http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1466697Stability is a serious issue. I didn't attempt a VTOL system at all and it took a few tweaks to get it to fly right.

I think the biggest issue with any Harrier is the wing loading. I ended up building a very large plane to be sure i didn't run into any weight issues. And i am only using 1 motor not 4!!

The other big issue is control. I had to enlarge my Vertical Tail quite a bit to solve some stability issues. I also had to go with Ailerons and Tailerons in order to get the thing to roll with any authority.

The big problem i think you are going to find with a quad EDF Harrier - after you solve the control and weight/wingloading issue is controlling 4 EDF's You are basically looking at a Quadrotor system. That requires a lot more than just a HK 6 CHannel radio. You are talking about some serious stuff. In order to control 4 EDF's so they can lift and control a plane.

Along with that you are going to probably want to control all 4 edf nozzles so you can transition into forward flight. That means 4 additional servos for nozzle tilt = more weight and cost.

As a guy with an obviously limited budget, you really should do some Research and Development on this plane and see what works and what doesn't , or go with a non-VTOL version first and get that flying before you go full blast on a transitioning VTOL.

A lot of people have spent a LOT of money trying to build a VTOL transitioning Harrier and failed.
I'm pretty sure he has the control/VTOL functions nailed, he could fly it with a 5Ch radio if he wanted to (assuming he uses the ardurino to handle the flight controls as well) he's already done it once. His biggest issue is just picking a power system that can fly it for more than 30seconds
foam and tape is offline Find More Posts by foam and tape
Old Aug 31, 2012, 09:14 PM
Romans 8:34-39
United States, FL, Davenport
Joined May 2012
8,244 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCvertt View Post

bhoov128 is online now Find More Posts by bhoov128
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Snice Slick
Old Sep 01, 2012, 02:46 AM
Joined Jan 2000
7,715 Posts
Quote:

Sure, please post your bank account number and pin # and I'll make sure your account is adjusted.

Azarr
Old Sep 01, 2012, 03:38 AM
Joined Aug 2007
4,067 Posts
@SGTalon- Cool looking Harrier you have there. I think F&T is right though that besides the cost, the flight time will be the biggest challenge. If you know of any rich, single, lonely ladies that need their lawn mowed please let me know. Otherwise I'll stick with the kindness of strangers for now.

Your right about a lot of people having tried it and failed. Most people try to make their Harrier too close to scale for the technology we currently have.

Even with all of the changes I have made it will be extremely difficult to achieve a decent flight time of 4 minutes but we shall try. Now is the time to join though. Once I get it working and more people get interested, much like crack, I'll have to jack up the price, way way up.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by RCvertt; Sep 01, 2012 at 03:46 AM.
Old Sep 01, 2012, 04:52 AM
Joined Aug 2007
4,067 Posts
Quote:
Sure, please post your bank account number and pin # and I'll make sure your account is adjusted...
That's cool. Paypal will do.

Curious why the idea of money raising seams ridiculous? Or has it just been my style of doing it?

I've given several hundred $ to other projects on RCgroups. Gave the Shrediquette tricopter guy a 100$ donation when he first came out.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 01, 2012, 10:52 AM
Altitude is my friend...
Southern California
Joined May 2009
1,369 Posts
Quote:
Sure, please post your bank account number and pin # and I'll make sure your account is adjusted.
And don't forget your Social Security number, driver's license number, two credit card numbers, and your mother's maiden name.
Depronicus is offline Find More Posts by Depronicus
Old Sep 01, 2012, 03:54 PM
Joined Aug 2007
4,067 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Depronicus View Post
And don't forget your Social Security number, driver's license number, two credit card numbers, and your mother's maiden name.
You guys want my pet turtle's name as well I assume
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by RCvertt; Sep 01, 2012 at 04:06 PM.
Old Sep 03, 2012, 12:02 AM
Joined Aug 2007
4,067 Posts
How do I determine what C battery rating I need?

Using this calculator I get 4 minutes assuming a 4000 mA battery is used with motors pulling a total of 60000 mA and draining the battery 100%. If I want 4 minutes, how do I figure out the C ratting this 4000 mA battery should be?

While I'm typing, we are going to need one of these MultiWii SE V2.0 Flight boards added to the parts list. Some 20 amp ESC's probably wouldn't hurt either.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by RCvertt; Sep 03, 2012 at 12:12 AM.
Old Sep 03, 2012, 07:13 AM
Joined Jan 2000
7,715 Posts
Quote:
How do I determine what C battery rating I need?

Using this calculator I get 4 minutes assuming a 4000 mA battery is used with motors pulling a total of 60000 mA and draining the battery 100%. If I want 4 minutes, how do I figure out the C ratting this 4000 mA battery should be?
You should never discharge your battery below 80%. a 4A battery will give you a 3 min flight at full throttle. You need 5000mah to get 4 minutes with a 60A draw. The current draw determines what the C rating should be. 4A * X = 60A, X=15C minimum. But of course I never believe the manufacturer so I'd look at 25C.

Azarr