SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
View Poll Results: Will this RC Harrier jet ever be built or work?
I think it will work. I have 20$ to burn so here you go. 8 13.56%
I think it will work but you don't have the skills to do it so no $ for you. 4 6.78%
I would help with sponsorship but your plane kind of looks like crap. 4 6.78%
LOL another dead Harrier thread! Nice try loser. Get a job and buy your own damn stuff. 43 72.88%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jul 15, 2012, 02:43 AM
United Kingdom, England, Hull
Joined Aug 2011
381 Posts
Just thinking bout it, i wonder if ya could use tx mixing with all 4 throttles on different channels, and switch mixing in, i.e. to mix aileron and elevator to give motor differential between left and right fore and aft motors... hmmmm I reckon that should be do-able. a switch to tilt motors and turn mixing off for forward flight
Marlbororman is offline Find More Posts by Marlbororman
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 15, 2012, 04:09 AM
Joined Aug 2007
4,182 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 63 nova View Post
Cool idea I need to set a record with my 120" cub then I will start back on my harrier project. I think I will have a few thousand wrapped up in it when I am done so it might take awhile. I think I can, I think I can
Big planes are definitely better. Have a build thread for your cub? I'd like to check it out. Only took me a few thousand and a year or two to finish my first functional VTOL airplane so take your time. All good things to those that wait or to those like me that don't know well enough to quite when they should have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlbororman View Post
Just thinking bout it, i wonder if ya could use tx mixing with all 4 throttles on different channels, and switch mixing in, i.e. to mix aileron and elevator to give motor differential between left and right fore and aft motors... hmmmm I reckon that should be do-able. a switch to tilt motors and turn mixing off for forward flight
You figures right. You can do a rough version with TX mixing and external v tail mixers but I prefer to use a modified quadcopter board to handle all the mixing like was done in this here vid.

VTOL -bHoverTakeOff_HoverLanding.AVI (1 min 19 sec)
RCvertt is offline Find More Posts by RCvertt
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by RCvertt; Jul 15, 2012 at 05:14 PM.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 01:30 AM
Joined Aug 2007
4,182 Posts
Some fuselage progress. Never tried building curved surfaces like this one has. Should be a good learning experience for me.

If I may be serious for a moment. With the recent retirement of the UK fleet and rising tensions in the Falklands once again, this may in fact be the only true Harrier Jump Jet left in existence to fight such a war. So don't support this project for my sake but for your countries sake and perhaps the entire free world.....Operators are standing by.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by RCvertt; Jul 21, 2012 at 01:38 AM.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 11:29 AM
Retardedly intelligent
beavercreek,ohio
Joined Jan 2007
3,857 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlbororman View Post
here ya go mate, this is foam and tapes thread on his vtol plane... http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...highlight=vtol

Might give a few ideas for tilt, etc, Ian...

Lawl, man! rcvertt was directly responsible for getting my bird in the air he's the one who coded everything up, Good luck RCvertt this should be relatively easy for you to accomplish
foam and tape is online now Find More Posts by foam and tape
Old Jul 21, 2012, 02:00 PM
United Kingdom, England, Hull
Joined Aug 2011
381 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by foam and tape View Post
Lawl, man! rcvertt was directly responsible for getting my bird in the air he's the one who coded everything up, Good luck RCvertt this should be relatively easy for you to accomplish
LOL , i never noticed that Oh well, he da man then
Marlbororman is offline Find More Posts by Marlbororman
Old Jul 21, 2012, 03:03 PM
Winging it Ò>
Joined May 2006
9,720 Posts
RCvert,

Best of luck with the Harrier! I couldn't tell from the description if you plan to transition to forward flight or to hover only. Looking forward to more progress.
leadfeather is online now Find More Posts by leadfeather
Old Jul 21, 2012, 10:39 PM
Joined Aug 2007
4,182 Posts
Thanks all for the support.

Going for the full hat trick with this one. Hover takeoff, transition to forward flight and back down for a silky smooth hover landing. All 4 nozzles will rotate 90 degrees to complete the transitions. 2 minutes or less flight time and I'll consider it a fail. 4 min or more and I'll be very happy.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by RCvertt; Jul 21, 2012 at 10:49 PM.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 11:11 PM
ich bauen groß modell flugzeug
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2010
6,838 Posts
Watchin and waiting
Keenan smith is offline Find More Posts by Keenan smith
Old Jul 22, 2012, 12:24 AM
Boone, Iowa, United States
Joined Feb 2002
302 Posts
Lived in Yuma, AZ for 3 years where a squadron of harrier were stationed anyways rarely did I see the harrier take off verticly. When I did they were light on fuel with no bombs. Dont know if this helps but for scale if a harrier had fuel and bombs they took off more like a normal jet.
denverone is online now Find More Posts by denverone
Old Jul 22, 2012, 04:24 AM
Joined Aug 2007
4,182 Posts
Good info thanks. I like to takeoff vertically so I'm giving some leeway to scale looks to help make that more possible. Might have a profile bomb or two though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by k.smith459 View Post
Watchin and waiting
Thanks. It's a tough crowd out there in the poll but we are pressing on.

Held off those Scientologists for a while but it looks like one broke through the defenses.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by RCvertt; Jul 22, 2012 at 04:32 AM.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 03:22 PM
Exodus 4:13
United States, FL, Davenport
Joined May 2012
9,073 Posts
In for the entertainment value of this build plus VTOL engineering mad skills multiwii controller programming etc etc etc

PM Me paypal info chief vertt
bhoov128 is online now Find More Posts by bhoov128
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Snice Slick
Old Aug 28, 2012, 04:22 AM
Joined Aug 2007
4,182 Posts
@ bhoov128
Thanks for the support. It's always encouraging to find another sucker...I mean brother, willing to fork over some hard earned cash for the cause.

I unfortunately have to report that my scam hasn't quite gone as planned and we are well below the 200$ that the defense budget for this aircraft calls for. I remember the good old days when all you had to do was mention the name Harrier in a thread and people would start throwing $$$ at you. However, I am pleased to announce that all funds collected up to this point have not been wasted. I have gone to the movie theater numerous times and purchased lots of yummy junk food that I probably would not have done other wise.

So until I can cook up a better scam, I'll have to put this project on hold for a little while. Maybe just having people send me the parts I need from HK would be better? Seams more legit perhaps? Anyone got a 30$ HK 6 channel programmable TX they want to give to the cause or better yet a turnigy 9X
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Chupacabra sighting !!!
Old Aug 28, 2012, 02:59 PM
Joined Aug 2007
4,182 Posts
Ok, new plan. I make no promises or guarantees but if enough people sign up for getting me the parts then I promise to give them plans and as much help as I can to get them in the air as well, guaranteed.

These are the parts I currently have my eye on. I may have to upgrade the fan units and lipo to eventually reach our goal of a 4 min flight time but this should be good enough for a flying proof of concept to see if the ship will even float.

6 channel TX- 22$
2.4Ghz 6Ch Tx USB Cable- 3$
Or better yet since it already has expo and a three position switch...Turnigy 9x.

4 of these EDF units- 55$

1x battery- 30$ Probably a little small but I'd rather be a little too light then too heavy at this stage in the game.

1x charger- 13$

4x EDF tilt / elevator servos- 40$

2x micro servo for lift fan cheater hole just in case we need it.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by RCvertt; Aug 28, 2012 at 03:47 PM.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 03:10 PM
ich bauen groß modell flugzeug
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2010
6,838 Posts
What about a Turnigy 6XS ?http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...r_Mode_1_.html
Keenan smith is offline Find More Posts by Keenan smith
Old Aug 28, 2012, 03:22 PM
Joined Aug 2007
4,182 Posts
If the 6XS has a three position switch and comes in mode 2 then it might be worth it. Not a deal breaker but I would prefer that it has expo also since it costs more.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by RCvertt; Aug 28, 2012 at 03:46 PM.