HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
View Poll Results: Will this RC Harrier jet ever be built or work?
I think it will work. I have 20$ to burn so here you go. 8 13.56%
I think it will work but you don't have the skills to do it so no $ for you. 4 6.78%
I would help with sponsorship but your plane kind of looks like crap. 4 6.78%
LOL another dead Harrier thread! Nice try loser. Get a job and buy your own damn stuff. 43 72.88%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jan 30, 2013, 03:17 PM
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Nov 2010
4,070 Posts
I would agree, however truthfully I would REALLY like the plans and Details for the Osprey over the harrier =]
Jwmflying14 is online now Find More Posts by Jwmflying14
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 31, 2013, 05:05 AM
Damn this gets addictive.
United Kingdom
Joined Oct 2011
530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhoov128 View Post
If I had my guess, the osprino is research-in-motion for the harrier
That's what I meant. Just asking if work on the harrier was going on in the background. Buying kit, cutting foam etc.
Thechittyfather is offline Find More Posts by Thechittyfather
Old Jan 31, 2013, 11:59 PM
Joined Aug 2007
4,153 Posts
Yup. Work on the Harrier is continuing. Learned a lot with the Osprino. It's code is a lot simpler and cleaner than my quad plane is. I just got another TX and two receivers. I'm finishing up some code now for another build that will also help out with the Harrier.

Not to worry. Both the Osprino and Harrierino info will be made available. I'm looking closely at the quickstarter thing to help me get parts.

This was the video I took right before the last crash. I guess the 6 min flight stressed out the prop savers
Almost hit by V22 Osprey! (RC Foamy) (6 min 13 sec)
RCvertt is offline Find More Posts by RCvertt
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by RCvertt; Feb 01, 2013 at 12:05 AM.
Old Feb 01, 2013, 12:12 AM
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Nov 2010
4,070 Posts
I really have to congratulate you. If you open source, and make plans for the osprey it will be a huge hit. The osprey is hugely saught after. Walkers tried one, but found it too expensive and too hard to make reliable. Then there is rotomast, who make a great looking osprey, butquite ffrankly the control is quite lame for the price you pay. It is extremely espensive and everything is controlled simply by the motors, which is not like a plane st all....

If you open source your code, with accesable PCB's and plans for depron/blucor/dollartree it will be an enormous hit!
Jwmflying14 is online now Find More Posts by Jwmflying14
Old Feb 01, 2013, 07:15 AM
SG Talon... Super Genius.
Lenox, Michigan
Joined Nov 2005
3,148 Posts
Hey RC,

I never use Propsavers. I found that you lose a significant amount of power because the prop is not 100% rigid. I had a 3D plane that flew great but i kept breaking props because i mounted them solid on landing. So I switched out to a prop saver.

I found that i could no longer hover with out being at full throttle and a lot of the other stunts just didn't have enough power to do it. So i went back to a solid mount and it was fine. I am guessing that I lost around 20% of the motor power through the flexible mount.

I wonder if you lose some control ability with the gyros because of the sloppiness that comes from the prop saver. I know that when it comes to Helicopters any sloppiness can really effect how smooth it flies.

Just something to think about.
SGTalon is offline Find More Posts by SGTalon
Old Feb 05, 2013, 09:06 PM
Joined Aug 2007
4,153 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwmflying14 View Post
...If you open source your code, with accesable PCB's and plans for depron/blucor/dollartree it will be an enormous hit!
Glad you like the plane. The code will be open source in accordance with Arduino laws. I'm looking at making a PCB. I'll make one to see what is involved. If it doesn't work out then I'll make the plans easy enough to use with what is already available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGTalon View Post
...I wonder if you lose some control ability with the gyros because of the sloppiness that comes from the prop saver. I know that when it comes to Helicopters any sloppiness can really effect how smooth it flies.
Never thought of that but it's very possible. Fortunately, unlike a quadcopter, the hover controls done't have to be as precise since hovering is a very small part of the flight envelope on this bird being only for takeoff and landing. I might have the power loss issue you mentioned but I've been using only the rubber prop savers so I can't really compare it. Until I get come collet prop savers, I'm using super glue and hot glue along with the rubber prop saver which seams to be helping. I hovered a couple times using only super glue by accident. Didn't notice that I forgot the rubber prop saver until I landed, so the super glue is doing its job.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by RCvertt; Feb 05, 2013 at 09:23 PM.
Old Mar 30, 2013, 07:57 AM
United Kingdom, England, Hull
Joined Aug 2011
381 Posts
Any updates on the harrier ???
Marlbororman is offline Find More Posts by Marlbororman
Old Apr 01, 2013, 10:23 PM
Joined Aug 2007
4,153 Posts
//Edit- No updates on the Harrier unfortunately. Attached vid is just an April 1st joke. Hope to get back on this project for real soon.

Finally got my first real hover test done today. I need to tune it but I think the video shows we are on the right track
April1-HarrierHoverTest (0 min 31 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by RCvertt; Apr 03, 2013 at 01:08 AM.
Old Apr 01, 2013, 10:32 PM
RC Adddict
Canada, BC, Williams Lake
Joined Jan 2010
4,279 Posts
I'm pretty sure North Korea will be in contact with you by tomorrow as i fowarded that video to them . Their airforce will be feared by the world
Wilfor is offline Find More Posts by Wilfor
Old Apr 01, 2013, 11:48 PM
Retardedly intelligent
beavercreek,ohio
Joined Jan 2007
3,854 Posts
Nice dude! that thing looks great, you may want to get a longer string though to dampen out the gyros. this is by far the best hovering video of any VTOL Harrier I've ever seen.
foam and tape is offline Find More Posts by foam and tape
Old Apr 02, 2013, 12:06 AM
Exodus 4:13
United States, FL, Davenport
Joined May 2012
8,846 Posts
By far the best April fools joke I saw today. Bravo!!
bhoov128 is offline Find More Posts by bhoov128
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Snice Slick
Old Apr 02, 2013, 12:14 AM
Joined Aug 2011
381 Posts
Wow looking good. Think you may need some carbon in the tail surfaces though to stiffen things up a bit :-D
Old Apr 03, 2013, 12:46 AM
Joined Aug 2007
4,153 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilfor View Post
I'm pretty sure North Korea will be in contact with you by tomorrow as i fowarded that video to them . Their airforce will be feared by the world
Thanks for the NK refferle. That's my retirement plan so I'm waiting by the phone patiently

Quote:
Originally Posted by foam and tape View Post
Nice dude! that thing looks great, you may want to get a longer string though to dampen out the gyros. this is by far the best hovering video of any VTOL Harrier I've ever seen.
It's my proudest achievement yet. That 2.4g nonsense ain't got nothing on my dust mop and string

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhoov128 View Post
By far the best April fools joke I saw today. Bravo!!
Thanks, It's my first. My apologies to those that watched the video but after watching it myself and given the day, I was unable to resist uploading.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlbororman View Post
Wow looking good. Think you may need some carbon in the tail surfaces though to stiffen things up a bit :-D
Thanks for the continued interest. Will definitely get some carbon back there. Worst case, I may need to go with the blue Dow foam for the wing as well since it's stiffer than this Dollar Tree stuff.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by RCvertt; Apr 03, 2013 at 12:59 AM.
Old May 23, 2013, 06:31 PM
Joined Aug 2011
381 Posts
Hey Dude, i aint forgot bout ya!!!!!!! Any updates?????
Old May 23, 2013, 10:23 PM
United States, CA, Upper Lake
Joined Dec 2012
27 Posts
Nice work, Subscribed! Money is tight, but I think its worth a $20, count me in.
Fred P is offline Find More Posts by Fred P
Last edited by Fred P; May 23, 2013 at 10:33 PM.