HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 05, 2012, 01:56 PM
Joined Nov 2008
98 Posts
Discussion
MWC Quad took off never to be seen again

After trying some new PID settings in my backyard earlier today i decided to take my MWC 2.0 quad out to the park to fly it around for a bit. It flew excellent in close proximity so i took it up and before i knew it i seemed to be locked out of controls. The quad seemed to be locked into level mode and no matter what i did it would not respond. It started hovering way up high and only after i switched the transmitter off it slowly started going down before it simply cut all motors and fell down. There were loads or trees and i already knew it'd probably be up in one. Couldn't find it anywhere and ended up going home empty handed.

Earlier today i had assigned the BARO in MWConfig and connected pin 8 to my receiver as i was planning on messing around with that at some point later. Didn't activate it when flying today though. I've tested everything in MWC a few times today and all looked like it should. It flew fine earlier. I also removed a piece of foam the FC normally sits on and used 3 layers of double sided tape to attach it.

I'm at a loss as to why this has happened. I know the esc's and motors were fine, and i think it had something to do with either the tx/rx, vibrations or the BARO, even though i didn't use it.

If anyone has any ideas i'd love to hear. I've already cut my loss and i suppose it's a sign i should start building the tri i've always wanted in addition to my quad
giek2000 is offline Find More Posts by giek2000
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 05, 2012, 02:07 PM
Emress
United States, IA, Elkhart
Joined Nov 2011
1,923 Posts
id say a glitch in tx/rx or a by random chance issue with the FC. did you try turning back on the TX after turning it off?

i chuckled at the title as i clicked but now i see it wasn't some newb sorry bout your quad
sirbow2 is offline Find More Posts by sirbow2
Old Jul 05, 2012, 02:14 PM
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2008
2,192 Posts
When I was getting into multi's I was scared of a fly away, I started this thread. I'll never have to worry about it again and for under $50.00 it's the cheapest insurance you can get for having a fly away.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1608563
jasper7821 is offline Find More Posts by jasper7821
Old Jul 05, 2012, 02:20 PM
Joined Nov 2008
98 Posts
I switched it on and off a few times, tried arming it, anything to get some sort of a beep out of it but no luck. Yeah i've only been at quads for a few months now but typically finally when i am able to comfortably zip it around it flies off on it's own.
Old Jul 05, 2012, 02:24 PM
Joined Nov 2008
98 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper7821 View Post
When I was getting into multi's I was scared of a fly away, I started this thread. I'll never have to worry about it again and for under $50.00 it's the cheapest insurance you can get for having a fly away.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1608563
I read that thread the other day and thought it'd never happen to me. Well, there it went! I think i'll be sticking to flying in BIG open fields from now on for a while until i've done some testing with the tx.
Old Jul 05, 2012, 02:34 PM
Spring warmth will soon arrive
United States, WA, Woodinville
Joined Mar 2007
8,006 Posts
cheaper insurance is to be very careful how and where you mount your receiver.

Don't use clone receivers for anything you want to keep in one piece
Try to avoid using DSM2 near alot of carbon fiber, or as some have done, bury a DSM2 receiver in amongst all the wiring and hardware where the signal can get "shadowed" by the hardware and battery(ies)
cryhavoc38 is offline Find More Posts by cryhavoc38
Old Jul 05, 2012, 02:35 PM
James not bond
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined May 2012
2,033 Posts
i'd suggest to check failsafe before take off...
some tx/rx just wont well(t9x) thus you might want to upgrade it...
jy0933 is offline Find More Posts by jy0933
Old Jul 05, 2012, 02:47 PM
Joined Nov 2008
98 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cryhavoc38 View Post
cheaper insurance is to be very careful how and where you mount your receiver.

Don't use clone receivers for anything you want to keep in one piece
Try to avoid using DSM2 near alot of carbon fiber, or as some have done, bury a DSM2 receiver in amongst all the wiring and hardware where the signal can get "shadowed" by the hardware and battery(ies)
I'm using a shamefully cheap tx/rx setup, a 6ch 2.4 ESKY set that i kept from my King 3 but it's never let me down once the past few years. It was a DJI F330 frame and as i'm obsessed with keeping it looking clean there was no wire-ball and the rx was mounted on one of the arms. Maybe it's time to shell out and get a dx6i.
Old Jul 05, 2012, 02:50 PM
Quad lover.
Joined Dec 2011
853 Posts
You won't necessarily have to upgrade the whole transmitter, just replace the tx module.
While your at you might as well use fukenshlag.
chaosdestro0 is offline Find More Posts by chaosdestro0
Old Jul 05, 2012, 03:03 PM
Joined Nov 2008
98 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosdestro0 View Post
You won't necessarily have to upgrade the whole transmitter, just replace the tx module.
While your at you might as well use fukenshlag.
Did not know that was possible, thanks. Looks like it's more hassle than i'm willing to get on with though, and even if it did work i wouldn't trust something i'd funkenschlag'd together like that myself.