HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 05, 2012, 02:49 PM
Sic itur ad Astra
United Arab Emirates, Abu Dhabi, Abu Dhabi
Joined Aug 2009
1,605 Posts
Build Log
Britkit Build off 2012 -Veron Coupe'

So finally I have succumbed to the pressures and got around to making a start on the Coupe.

I fancied the idea, just for a change, of building something the size it was meant to be, rather than upsizing to ease the installation of electric power and RC equipment.

Of course, this may be tough with a 20" span lightweight rubber jobby, so, to keep the wing load in check, I may stretch the wing a tad and add an extra rib and I plan to increase the chord by a similar proportion. It would probably be easier to upsize the whole thing by 20%, but I would like to keep the original size where possible.

The current plan is to pop a little 1811 'dentist drill' motor in, with a 6A esc. A 2s lipo of 180 - 350mAh, or as big as I can depending on finished mass.
I would like to do it 2channel, rudder and motor...but this plan is a moveable feast, well more of a small snacklette really.

Anyway, plan printed andthe sticks for the first side are laid down and the PVA is drying off now while I post this and lubricate the tonsils with a glass of Tetley's finest. No George, not the Tea!

sparks
sparks59 is offline Find More Posts by sparks59
Last edited by sparks59; Jul 05, 2012 at 03:35 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 05, 2012, 03:33 PM
Sic itur ad Astra
Joined Aug 2009
1,605 Posts
I must be tired. Title of the thread..Frog build off. What have I been drinking?

Sorted now, normal service will be resumed presently...
sparks
Last edited by sparks59; Jul 05, 2012 at 03:38 PM. Reason: updated
Old Jul 05, 2012, 03:56 PM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
5,032 Posts
That's a chubby little number Sparks, glad to see it and will be following with interest. Link to your thread posted in the Build Off thread.

We don't drink Tetleys tea Sparks - strictly Taylors of Harrogate Yorkshire tea imported via our bi-monthly Tesco order! You can buy it here but would need a mortgage for a small box - and French tea bags produce a brew so weak it needs support!
Sundancer is online now Find More Posts by Sundancer
Old Jul 05, 2012, 04:05 PM
Sic itur ad Astra
Joined Aug 2009
1,605 Posts
Totally agree on the Chai front. I can get by on Tetley Tea here, but anytime i'm home, or if visitors are coming here, I always ask if they'll bring a big box of Yorkshire Tea! The Liptons really doesn't produce the right sort of brew, I imagine it is similar to the French stuff.

Anyway, news on the build.

I fed some numbers into Flieslikeabeagle's webocalc just to get some targets, ideas for power and weight. Argghhhh. For this to fly in the sedate manner that I'd like, its going to have to be 3.5oz or so. ....That might be a tall order as I was sort of expecting it to be 5 or 6.
Although a smaller lipo and one less servo will help.

sparks
Old Jul 05, 2012, 04:19 PM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
5,032 Posts
Yep, there ain't no substitute for a bit of wing area. I was looking at building a Tom Thumb for R/E/T, but I think it will only be really practical if I get some really ultralight kit. Even the stuff I have used in the Witch and Sportster (10 gram motor, 6A ESC, 300 2S lipo, two 3.6 gram servos and a teeny weeny Orange 2.4 Rx) would take it over the weight I would want. Another model in the same size range I would like to build, the Smeed Flipper bipe, would be a bit better due to the extra wing area (had one back in the day with a magnetic actuator, rudder only, and a TD010, it is cute enough to give you a nosebleed).

One thought; using a 5 x 3 GWS prop on the 1811, I get vast lengths of run from my 300m lipo and it is only pulling less than 3 amps, so if you can find, say, a 120 or 150 2S with a 25C rating it would be OK and save a lot of weight.
Old Jul 05, 2012, 04:29 PM
Since 1952
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Oct 2004
1,377 Posts
Hey, Sparks, watching with interest. I'll be going "mini" for this build-off too, with a KeilKraft Dandy. I will also be keeping to the original size, which is 21" span. Seems to me these little things are pretty trivial builds as such, and the real challenge is building down to weight rather than "cheating" in some way. The "maximum all-up weight for good performance" of the Dandy is said to be 2 oz.

So while waiting for the plans to arrive, I've been researching lightweight equipment. So far, I've found: receiver 2g, 2 servos at 1.7g each, motor 4g, ESC 4g. Lipo will be 2s240, 12g, pack made up by me to save a bit of weight (may go smaller on the lipo if I have to). So total power train plus RC gear should be around 24g or about 0.9 oz.

Can I bring the rest of it in under an ounce or so? We will see.

Hope to get some tips from your build.
Harry D is offline Find More Posts by Harry D
Old Jul 05, 2012, 05:44 PM
Sic itur ad Astra
Joined Aug 2009
1,605 Posts
Welcome Harry,
An ounce is going to get you thinking light!

For sure I'm going to have to think light on this, but it still needs to be able to support the gear and not fold up on the first landing. The heavy thing at the moment is the battery, i'll only need around 2.5 amps with a 5x3 prop (as George mentioned, it should give enough for these tiddlers) if I can get it to 3.5oz AUW, and then a 200 2s lipo will be fine. Think my 5g servo is going to be too much I'm sort of stuck with the rx at the moment but there'll be something available i'm sure.

watch this space..
sparks
Old Jul 06, 2012, 01:05 PM
Sic itur ad Astra
Joined Aug 2009
1,605 Posts
Had a good day at the board today. Made some progress. Both wings and most of the fuselage are well advanced.

sparks
Old Jul 06, 2012, 05:11 PM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
5,032 Posts
Gosh, Billy Whizz rides again!!
Old Jul 07, 2012, 07:25 AM
Sic itur ad Astra
Joined Aug 2009
1,605 Posts
I was fairly surprised myself how much can be done on a small model when you get a full day at it.
sparks
Old Jul 08, 2012, 09:32 AM
Blueplaidcanard flyer
sdy. ny
Joined May 2007
2,978 Posts
Its going to be a cute little bugger.
rabidrue1 is offline Find More Posts by rabidrue1
Old Jul 08, 2012, 10:45 AM
Sic itur ad Astra
Joined Aug 2009
1,605 Posts
Yes! Thanks Rab, I thought so too.
I have increased the span by adding another rib and made the trailing edge a tad thicker to increase the chord.
To maintain the balance, I have inreased the horizontal stabiliser span and chord a little also. I'm hoping my fiddling will not upset any purist modellers out there, or more importantly for me, detract from the overall cute look of the Coupe.
sparks
Old Jul 08, 2012, 11:28 AM
The dog ate my clearance
Joined Jan 2004
1,101 Posts
Looking good. We'll be watching!
brokenspar is offline Find More Posts by brokenspar
Old Jul 08, 2012, 11:45 AM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
5,032 Posts
I know I've seen that fuselage profile somewhere before Sparks, and after some brain bashing I THINK it was on a magazine published design by Keith Laumer, the Cyrano. I have it somewhere but my filing system is chaotic, so I had a look for other Laumer designs and sure enough there is a biplane called Lula-Bi which is very similar in profile to the Coupe. Coincidence or was Phil inspired by Keith - or vice-versa?
Old Jul 08, 2012, 11:54 AM
RFJ
Northern Ireland
Joined Dec 2004
1,687 Posts
Quote:
but my filing system is chaotic
Mine must be less so - but only slightly

Cyrano from Aeromodeller July 1960.

Ray
RFJ is offline Find More Posts by RFJ