HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 31, 2012, 09:00 AM
Sic itur ad Astra
United Arab Emirates, Abu Dhabi, Abu Dhabi
Joined Aug 2009
1,603 Posts
Neat progress SD. Now I have to go and check out the Sirius as I cannot recall seeing one....
Doh!
sparks
sparks59 is offline Find More Posts by sparks59
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 31, 2012, 09:09 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,277 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparks59 View Post
Neat progress SD. Now I have to go and check out the Sirius as I cannot recall seeing one....
Doh!
sparks
See Post #1, this thread Sparks.
Sundancer is online now Find More Posts by Sundancer
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 31, 2012, 02:25 PM
Sic itur ad Astra
Joined Aug 2009
1,603 Posts
Cheers George, but the thumbnail doesn't respond well to zooming
sparks
Old Jul 31, 2012, 04:06 PM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,277 Posts
Yeah, sorry Sparks, it is one I lifted from somewhere else, I'll try and find a better one to scan.

So, more progress today, got the top wing finished to the same stage as the bottom one, complete except for riblets. I spent a very pleasant hour carving and sanding it on the terrace as the sun was setting this evening (summer has finally arrived here) and then couldn't resist nailing the five bits of the airframe together to weigh them and take a couple of photos. This urge to see the thing assembled at the earliest possible stage is something I (and I suspect most builders) have never been able to resist.

Weight of the airframe as photographed is 136 grams/4.3/4 ounces, so I have set a tentative target finished weight of 15 ounces.

Work on the fuselage tomorrow, making and fitting the undercarriage, servo mounts, nose decking, battery hatch etc etc after inserting the riblets into the wings. I have ordered a 150 watt motor for it from BRC, should be here by weekend, so it is almost time to start thinking about colour schemes. I think this one will be best with a fairly clean and simple scheme, I am currently thinking mainly yellow with black leading edges, fuselage trim and red shadowed black lettering. Must get the ink jet printer out and print myself a Mercury logo or two as well.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 31, 2012, 04:53 PM
Since 1952
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Oct 2004
1,191 Posts
Maybe this will help (we mustn't distract George from his building).

You do have to be a beginner to build any of those, though. Says right there in the ad.
Harry D is offline Find More Posts by Harry D
Old Jul 31, 2012, 05:44 PM
United States
Joined May 2009
557 Posts
Oooooh, I like the Teal. The search begins...
cd_webb is online now Find More Posts by cd_webb
Old Aug 01, 2012, 12:49 AM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,277 Posts
There you are Sparks. Thanks Harry, saved me a job. I just love the way these forums always produce the answer from someone! For beginners eh - that must be why I am finding it harder than usual!!!

David; no need to search very far. Derick Scott - www.model-plans.co.uk has the Teal, 4.50+2.75 international P&P.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 01, 2012, 02:37 AM
South Africa
Joined Feb 2009
2,622 Posts
She's looking great George!
owlsabie is offline Find More Posts by owlsabie
Old Aug 01, 2012, 10:31 AM
Sic itur ad Astra
Joined Aug 2009
1,603 Posts
The Mars is looking great George.
Thanks for posting the photo Harry. Yes, lots of scope there for more classic building.
I'm sure I had built a Magna many many years ago...can't remember ever flying it though? I still like its shape.
sparks
Old Aug 13, 2012, 03:26 PM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,277 Posts
Bit of a slow-down brought about by domestic commitments and waiting for the motor to arrive.

I didn't want to press on too far as I had a suspicion, looking at the nose length, that it was going to be very nose heavy unless I took care with the equipment locations, so before doing any further work on the fuselage I wanted to check it with the motor in place and the tail surfaces temporarily mounted. And yes, sure enough, it balanced on the top wing leading edge! Without the undercarriage at that.

If I want a separate hatch for the lipo (HATE removing wings for battery access), the farthest back the battery can go is just in front of the bottom wing leading edge, which is still in front of the expected CG. So, a no-brainer really, the servos had to go in the tail end and use a four wire extension to the receiver which will be just behind the CG. I didn't use my lightest servos as I suspect it is still going to tend towards nose heaviness, so a couple of Jamara micros have been installed with just the minimum amount peeping out, the closed loop to the rudder and carbon fibre rod to the elevator will be nice and short anyway.

In the photograph of the nose end you can see the triangular 1/16" ply box built around the main undercarriage tube.

I have doped the flying surface structures (3 thin coats), rubbed them down and the applied the Balsaloc and the mylar covering which went on with minimal hassle.

Now to finish the fuselage details such as the nose and battery hatches, motor cowling and the undercarriage then on to tissue covering the flying surfaces and mylar and tissuing the fuselage.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 13, 2012, 11:28 PM
Sic itur ad Astra
Joined Aug 2009
1,603 Posts
The Mars is looking great SD.

I know what you mean about batteries hidden 'neath wings. Too much of a nuisance when a hatch can be made so easily, and the battery being close to the c of g is a good thing anyway. You could always add a tailwheel if you need a little weight on her rump

The BRC motor appears to be from the same factory as Turnigy (et al).

The mylar covered skeleton looks fantastic. Great work.
sparks
Old Aug 13, 2012, 11:59 PM
New Zealand, Auckland, Papakura
Joined Nov 2006
362 Posts
Mercury Teal

I like the Teal too.....but why wouldn't I as it is my surname!! I wonder if there is a plan for this model - must do a search.
Allen Teal
PS - just noticed the location for the plan in another post. Should have read further before making a post. :-)
Teals1 is offline Find More Posts by Teals1
Old Aug 18, 2012, 05:21 AM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,277 Posts
God, it has been hot here this week! At the moment (noon Saturday) it is in the mid thirties C and we are promised (threatened with?) 40 degrees early next week. Flying is strictly for early mornings and late evenings and even building has been suffering due to heat induced lethargy and the desire to take frequent cold showers.

Still, I have managed to progress with all those "fiddly" jobs on the fuselage. The installation is now complete and has been tested. As always there is a lot of wire in there, I have tried to tidy it up as much as possible, fixing the four wire servo lead to the top of the fuselage and mounting the Turnigy 9 2.4 Rx on a little platform, but it still looks a bit untidy. The nose cowling, top front deck hatch and battery hatch plus box for the 1300 2S lipo have been made and finished, and the sheet fill-ins added round the servos. Heat exhaustion allowing I am planning to make the undercarriage this afternoon and prepare the fuselage with dope and Balsaloc for the mylar covering, hopefully tomorrow will be tissue day.

I have hopes of flying it later next week in one of those morning or evening sessions.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 18, 2012, 03:44 PM
South Africa
Joined Feb 2009
2,622 Posts
She's looking beautifull George
owlsabie is offline Find More Posts by owlsabie
Old Aug 18, 2012, 04:34 PM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,277 Posts
Thanks Owl. Well, I did get the undercarriage done today, not fixed in yet of course until after covering, but by then the temperature on the terrace was up to 40 degrees C, so doping out there was out of the question, the dope would have evaporated! Maybe tomorrow morning before it gets too hot, I'll probably be up early enough as sleeping, even with two fans blowing full tilt, is pretty difficult in these temperatures.
RCG Plus Member