HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Tsavah, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jul 05, 2012, 11:11 AM
Watt Waster
Joined Oct 2010
1,865 Posts
Build Log
Bird of Prey - RC Flyer Project

Was watching more Youtube video and came across a very interesting model called a "Bird of Prey", a Boeing aircraft. The name is taken from a research plane used to test various stealth technology concepts. The RC version is still a rare thing to see, but the flyer is very stable, even if you change a number of measurements, or lines of the test bed aircraft drawing. In short, the wing configuration is a narrow and short version of many flying "W" designs you can view in RC Groups. The flying "W", also called a Capricorn, uses a simple principle and can be flown as a single foam sheet design. To take the configuration a step further, add a long, flat fuselage to the narrow wing and turn it upside down and you have the basic Bird of Prey design in profile. The next step would be to add a top and bottom foam skin to suggest the stealth test bed of the same name. Since the flying "W" designs tend to be very stable flyers, it is reasonable to think adding a few more parts for looks won't change much.

Let me post a few Youtube video for inspiration.

Bird of Prey & The X-45 (UCAV)-USA (Super Fighter) (1 min 17 sec)

Foam Fighter Bird of Prey (FF-BOP) Part1 (10 min 10 sec)

Bird of prey rc foamfighters (3 min 9 sec)

Foam Fighter Bird of Prey (FF-BOP) Part2 (8 min 44 sec)

There is more to see about the Bird of Prey, but you have to hunt around a bit. Try searching for images and look for other video sources for inspiration. In the mean time, I will add a few more pictures of my build. I have a bit more to go before I can finish the glide testing for the best COG location, but once that is done I can start installing the electronics to preserve the COG with a slight compromise toward nose heavy. It is always a good idea to move the COG back a tiny bit for the maiden flight since a tail heavy model may not fly again, but a slightly nose heavy one is likely to do fine. Enjoy
Tsavah is offline Find More Posts by Tsavah
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 05, 2012, 11:13 AM
Watt Waster
Joined Oct 2010
1,865 Posts
space

for more comments and such
Old Jul 05, 2012, 11:14 AM
Watt Waster
Joined Oct 2010
1,865 Posts
Reserved

Will need this extra space, I am sure.
Old Jul 05, 2012, 12:53 PM
Watt Waster
Joined Oct 2010
1,865 Posts
Bird of Prey - Images

An image search on the Internet using the phrase; Bird of Prey will turn up a number of interesting pictures, and most will be of feathered birds. First the better line drawing of the Boeing stealth research project shows how sharp the edges of the stealth bomber are. I prefer a more aerodynamically clean shape with rounded edges. I'm not sure how sharp edges can help reduce a radar signals reflectiveness, but that was the objective of the design. I will also include a few pictures of the Star Trek Klingon models, which are reported to have been influential when the Boeing project began. Since the Romulan Bird of Prey is less RC flyer design friendly, I haven't included pictures of it. Do note it would be fairly easy to clean up many of the lumps and bumps of the old Klingon Bird of Prey and make a flying RC model of it. I have included some other concepts for the Klingon Bird of Prey for inspiration and I am thinking about taking the Boeing stealth platform and moving the design towards the Klingon concept in a future project. For now, I need to focus on what I have started and see what I learn in the process.
Last edited by Tsavah; Jul 05, 2012 at 02:31 PM. Reason: Spelling ...
Old Jul 05, 2012, 12:54 PM
Watt Waster
Joined Oct 2010
1,865 Posts
Reserved

Space to keep things together
Old Jul 05, 2012, 01:49 PM
Watt Waster
Joined Oct 2010
1,865 Posts
Bird of Prey Project - Beginning

The following pictures are my current Bird of Prey project. It is a beginning and as you can see, I have made a number of changes from the Boeing aircraft design. Most of the changes were made due to experiences I have had with flying wings and variations that extended the front of the flying wing. The other influence of primary concern is the flying "W", also called a Capricorn, that makes use of the very stable bend wing design. Others have made sea "Gull" style flying wings with high levels of success and if you notice, the flying "W" isn't all that much different, except maybe wider. In the last picture you can see green marks running almost the full length of the fuselage. These are marks for aligning the bottom vertical piece that gives the hand glider a profile look and is a great handle for tossing. I have a preliminary COG, but I know from past experience the COG will change a little as more parts are added to "flesh-out" the fuselage. I expect another slight change when I finish the wings. I am deciding if I want to go with a simple and effective KFm style wing, or a build up air foil. Either is easy enough, but I am leaning towards a KFm wing for simplicity and quicker assembly.
Last edited by Tsavah; Jul 05, 2012 at 01:57 PM. Reason: Spelling ...
Old Jul 05, 2012, 05:08 PM
Watt Waster
Joined Oct 2010
1,865 Posts
Reserved

Keeping it together
Old Jul 23, 2012, 04:10 PM
Watt Waster
Joined Oct 2010
1,865 Posts
Reserved